Potassium - Where to find it.

Options
2»

Replies

• Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    You're probably not as deficient as you think. Many of the foods in the database omit potassium. That said, good sources are fruits, sweet potatoes, and leafy greens.
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Coffee. :drinker:

Ditto.....
  • Captain_Spatchcock
    Options
    Bottom line is you simply can't believe what MFP is telling you about your potassium intake.

or anything else for that matter. always verify the data.
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, and once corrected the weight seemed to drop faster. Maybe coincidence, maybe not. Mushrooms, potatoes, spinach, cantelope, coffee, skim milk, plenty more. My favorite is low sodium V8 juice. I don't take supplements. Friend me if you like, my diary is open to friends.
  • larrybartlett
    Options
    I too thought I was not getting enough Potassium. My information was not correct. I am getting enough Potassium.

In addition to the great food choices members are suggesting here, you should also double check the accuracy of the Food items you enter into your Food Diary, before running an MFP report. Many veggies with great sources of Potassium, as added by others, (especially their recipes using veggies) do not have all the Potassium in the database, (or other nutritional info beyond calories/carbs/fat/protein) when in fact, they are swimming in Potassium. e.g. Enter "Zuchinni" you get an odd list. Enter "Zuchinni USDA" etc. you find Potassium.

Also, pay attention to "Number of Confirmations"...if it has 0 confirmations, it has 0 confirmations. As there are members from all over the world food market, with different world marketing strategies (e.g. metric/serving sizes/packaging..have you ever seen Ketchup in Japan..looks like squeeze toothpaste).

So...you also have to check the "serving sizes" listed on a item you are about to add to your Food Diary which is, after all, the source of your MFP report, as it may not match what you have in your hand, or stomach :-)

For packaged products of any kind that I consume, I now "Bar Code" search it with my Iphone App. It is faster, and ensures accuracy. e.g. Try finding Campbell's Soup - Great for Cooking - Broccoli and Cheese.

Don't forget to add your Multivitamin/Multimineral of choice, if you take one, as with mine, I get credit for 20% of my Potassium needs with my MV with Iron.

A simple blood test can check things, personal choice. I get a Chem Panel every 3 months. It includes your Potassium level in a "one stop" deal.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    This should help! A friend passed this along to me: http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/food-sources-of-potassium.php
  • moonpieto
    moonpieto Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Nu salt. Salt substitutes.....:explode:
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I take a potassium pill, but also eat potatoes, oranges, bananas and drink v8 vegetable juice.
  • cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Kazakhstan! And bananas and potatoes.