What are your top 3 weightloss/fitness tips?

Options
I think I need to take on new advice to try and shift my last bit of weight.

4 months weighing exactly the same so I definately need to shake it up a little, so what are your top 3 tips you give to anyone that asks for advice?

Replies

• smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    only one.

1. Burn more than you put in...the END

The rest is all hype, marketing, branding, pseudo science, people trying to sound smart etc etc etc.

Good luck
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of Water, Eat More Protein, and LOTS of Fiber.
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Have a plan
    Prepare in advance and stick to plan
    Stay patient/ consistent
  • foodisfuelforlife
    Options
    After a very quick look at your diary- you need to burn more than you put in. Simple as that.
    Whether that's an extra half hour of exercise or skipping 250 calories.

And weight/strength training will continue to burn after you work out :)
  • foodisfuelforlife
    Options
    only one.

The rest is all hype, marketing, branding, pseudo science, people trying to sound smart etc etc etc.

Good luck

So true!
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    After a very quick look at your diary- you need to burn more than you put in. Simple as that.

Eek, you probably looked at the last couple of days.. Which yes was pretty bad.
  • foodisfuelforlife
    Options

Eek, you probably looked at the last couple of days.. Which yes was pretty bad.

Sorry! I am sure you have been working so hard and we all have crappy weeks! Congrats on your results so far!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Challenge yourself. I started my own challenge on August 1. Since I spend so much time on the elliptical machine, I have increased my speed (which increases the calorie burn) from 4.8 to 5.5 mph. I have so much energy now it's amazing.

Another part of my challenge was to develop my own playlist and place encouragement songs at 15, 30, 45, 60, 75 and 90 minutes. One to get you going, one to motivate, one to drive, repeat...here's an example....

Footloose -- Kenny Loggins (Gets You Going)
    Hold On -- Wilson Phillips (Reminds you to just push through)
    We may never pass this way again -- Seals & Croft (this is my time and I'm going to remember it forever)
    Unwritten -- Natasha Bedingfield (I'm can be a blank piece of paper but once I'm finished--WATCH OUT!)

I'm still having trouble with Mondays--not with motivation for exercise, but with motivation to stay away from too many snacks in the afternoon. Tuesdays are always better!
  • MarkC1963
    MarkC1963 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Channel negative emotions that you may have, like bitterness and resentments over infidelities blamed on your appearance, nay saying about your commitment to get fit and looking better and all other bad stuff into intensity and determination to lose that weight and prove them all wrong!!! Listen to Metallica's Black Album as you exercise. Yes, I know it sounds psychotic but it never fails me... lol Lost 86 lbs so far that way and currently am at 162.4 lbs at 5' 10" down from 248 lbs. Vindication feels so good.
  • x_danaa
    x_danaa Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey! Having a good day? I hope so ^-^

ok, I'm not the best at giving out tips, because I mostly can't live up to them myself.
    But here are the tips which I have no- (ok a little) trouble living up to!

1) share the food! (it's hard, because I don't like sharing food, but it seriously helps with the calorie intake)
    2) do little things like squats, lungs, crunches, jumpingjacks's etc. throughout the day! (It's the only way I can make myself do these.... I do them during commercial breaks, waiting for my toast to jump, while brushing my teeth, things like that!)
    3)every (other) day/evening/night -whatever you prefer- go for a (half)hour walk! My mother has lost over 37 lbs, by just walking for an hour every other night!

I hope these helped! <3
  • Beee_B
    Beee_B Posts: 24
    Options
    only one.

Good luck

Ahhhh... my hero!
  • stufielding
    stufielding Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    All really good tips given above....

One of my tips is... a treat every now and then. I don’t mean go crazy and spend 9 hours at an all you can eat buffet (unless you can work out for 9 hours and burn it off) But maybe a night out with friends, have a meal and some beers. Or a takeaway at home with your partner...whatever you like eating / doing (in some slight moderation)

I found doing these things once every few weeks gives me something to look forward to and makes me appreciate and enjoy the treat.... whereas before drinking beer and eating takeaways was a 3 times a week thing and was just normal

It has not hindered weight loss or put me back on the road to bad habits..... Next day, back to the gym... back eating sensible again etc...

It works for me anyways....
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    1. Drink lots of water
    2. Eat smaller portions
    3. Exercise

(I might add....stay away from alcohol..some people can drop weight while drinking...I am not one of them)
  • Blayzn10Tiffers
    Options
    Cut un-natural sugars
    Lower your carbs and...
    raise your protien intake.....
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Only two: eat better, move more :flowerforyou:
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Write it down, weigh it, measure it out. The only real way to track your calories and macros.
    Stop looking for excuses why you can't, find reasons you can.
    Nude photos. There are apps to lock them up but clothes hide the truth. Take new ones every other week. Look at them for areas you've made progress. Find the good news in them, don't immediately search for the bad.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Eat at a sensible calorie deficit
    Log everything
    Lift heavy

It is all personal,l everyone has their own preferences. Play around and find what works for you.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    1. When you need to snack, eat raw vegetables (no ranch!! - just eat them by themselves)
    2. See a Physical Therapist for an evaluation of your weak areas - I always thought I had bad ankles, turns out I just needed to strengthen them
    3. Sign up for races every 3-4 months - having a looming event is great motivation for getting workouts in
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    only one.

Good luck

Soo true!
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    1. PROJECT - try and look beyond the next 5 minutes it takes you to nosh down on some bad food and ask yourself "was that plate of empty calories worth it?", "do I feel better now?". You might have an internal argument with yourself for a disconcertingly long period of time - but believe me - 9 out of 10 times, your logical brain will take over and you will answer "no" and you won't choose to eat it.

2. BE HONEST and err on the side of caution - round up your food calories, round down your exercise calories

3. ENJOY FOOD AND COOKING - Food is not the enemy - it is part of our social, celebratory and (most importantly) our everyday lives. You can still love it, but appreciate it in a different way. Go back to basics....cook from scratch and enjoy the process as much as the end product. Marvel at the different colours and shapes of vegetables that you have to work with when you are chopping them, enjoy the smell of fresh herbs as you pick them apart, feel the texture of pulses and grains, take pride in the skill needed to fillet a fish. . Enjoy ALL the sensory pleasure that food can give other than the rather lazy "hmm, salty, fatty - gimme NOW". As you do this, I believe the pleasure/joy you get from fast / processed food can't help but diminish, while your genuine appreciation of fresh, wholesome food, increases.

The above makes me sound like a hippy. I'm not - I'm generally a cynic, but the above works for me.