McDonald's is good for you.

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    it's not necessarily calories, but what the calories are from (same goes for fats). Super processed food, such as mcdonalds, is bad for you.. your body cannot use this as fuel, it will just slow you down. If you want a cheeseburger, make it at home with meat that isnt full of a bunch of antibiotics, make it from real cheese, try a gluten free bun, ect
    If your body couldn't use it as fuel, it wouldn't be stored as fat and McDonalds would be the ultimate diet food.
    Can't see any way it could 'slow you down'.
    Have you got anything to back this up?

Some 'processing' can remove micro-nutrients; we aren't talking 'fuel' here, but a bit of spit and polish to keep everything shiny. Keeping to the car methaphor - none at all and your vehicle will rust away, but plenty don't keep their's in 100% showroom condition, yet still have functional transportation.
    But then plenty of 'natural' food doesn't contain much of use or is actually 'bad' for you.
  • Lumett
    Lumett Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well according to my biology teacher and his research, if the burgers didn't have lettuce and gherkins, it would actually have to be classed as a confectionery item because of the amount of sugar it contains. I guess protein wise it is high, but personally I would rather avoid it.

I can back this up, My college Biology tutor said the exact same thing !!!!
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Also, really appreciating the feedback guys!
  • Lumett
    Options
    100g of Chicken breast is like 200 cals and has a TONNE of protein, you could easily fit that into your diet, I don't think it would differ that much for our cousins down under than it is for us here :p
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Hmm good point about the processed part. But in Australia they use 100% Australian beef, it's like this huge thing so I don't think the meat is necessarily as processed as it may be in other countries (is that naive of me? American McDonald's sure tastes different!!).

Agreed, the bun is **** haha but my hands would get sticky...

I don't know about other countries but in the UK they say it's 100% beef, and I've heard that that is just the name of the company they get it from - a way of saying it's "100% beef" without actually being a lie. Don't know for certain but just something to think about.

I don't think that a McDonalds every so often will hurt. I'll eat anything as long as it hits my calories / macros and have got enough fruit / veg / fibre throughout the day. But I do think that it will be cheaper, "healthier" (as in more fresh, knowing exactly what's in there) and will probably have more protein, if you make your own with fresh ingredients. Plus it's a lot tastier, I always find McDonalds really greasy personally!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Now if I were to eat only fruits and veggies only, I would get all the nutrition in the world but my body would be starving for calories
    - good luck with the protein, fats, fat soluble vitamins etc etc.

Do you write stuff on the forums just to start pointless arguments...?
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Fellow aussie here- NOT a fan of McDonalds or any fast food places really.
    I did read that McD's put sugar in the buns to make you hungry within a short space of time- however, IF i ate there, believe me one cheesburger would not make me feel satisfied. SO-I make home made burgers with at least 95% fat free mince ( Coles extra lean) don't butter the bun- use a bit of whatever sauce/pickles you like, and have dry fried onion and heaps of salad stuff- yes don't forget the beetroot! :) You could add a low fat cheese slice
    Even a homemade muffin -toasted bit of sauce, egg and short cut bacon is easy to do, cheaper and way healthier.
    I would think a plain hamburger from a good old fishnchip shop would be the way to go if buying fast food- and the best fries -if you buy them ( homemade oven fries are super) is a thick cut chip- the thinner they are- the more fat.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Hmm good point about the processed part. But in Australia they use 100% Australian beef, it's like this huge thing so I don't think the meat is necessarily as processed as it may be in other countries (is that naive of me? American McDonald's sure tastes different!!).

Agreed, the bun is **** haha but my hands would get sticky...

I don't know about other countries but in the UK they say it's 100% beef, and I've heard that that is just the name of the company they get it from - a way of saying it's "100% beef" without actually being a lie. Don't know for certain but just something to think about.

It's a hoax apparently. UK McD's does use 100% beef, saying that, we don't know which bits of the cow they use
  • kristen807
    kristen807 Posts: 361
    Options
    Ive always revered McDonalds and Burger King the Colon-cleanse for societal needs. When you were bound up and couldnt take a dump, all you had to do was eat one burger, one order of fries and a milkshake. GUARANTEED to clean your inner 'self' out within 6 hours...

8-P

LOL that made my day
  • marinebiologist_girl
    Options
    I would try and find a recipe for your own burgers. Buy lean patties in the market, and low-fat cheese, put some iceberg lettuce in and find some low-fat bread rolls too.
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I agree with Annie .... I tried restrictive diets a hundred times and never stuck with any of them longer than a few days because I didn't like salads or veggies and going from my unhealthy diet of crap to a nice healthy rabbit food diet was just too big a step.

By allowing myself to ease into it by reducing my crap intake and balancing it with fruits and veg and grains I have actually stuck to this program for 8 months .... that said I did cut KFC and McD's out right from the start ... but have re-introduced the occasional burger to keep me from giving up all together.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    You'd be amazed at the number of products with high fructose corn syrup. Look up the ingredients of all the McDonald's food and you'll be shocked by how ...
    www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=High Fructose Corn Syrup

fructose is a poison first made in the usa and very addictive thats why people eat so much of it. think of things as well like energy drinks etc filled with the stuff.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    As far as the "Confectionary" thing goes - not sure there's specific requirements for something to be described as that. If there were, 284 calories with 4.5g of that from sugar would mean it was well out.

The 100% beef thing seems rather stupid - from what I can work out they are saying their beef is made from beef. Well, duh.
    Presumably the suggestion is maybe no pork/chicken gets in there?
    They don't say where on the cow the beef is from, nor make it clear that of course there's other ingredients.

Fructose is fruit sugar; it's been around a lot longer than people, never mind the country of the USA - if it's a poison, I'll probably die from that Orange I had earlier!
  • Kg1951
    Kg1951 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think the burger is not good for you. Look at the sodium content, carb content and the fat. The only thing really good is the calories.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    100g of Chicken breast is like 200 cals and has a TONNE of protein
    well, a few tens of grams perhaps :-)
  • HunterKiller_wechange
    Options
    I love the odd Mcdonalds but i wouldn't class it as good for me. Anything that you gives me stomach ache and the abillty to s**t it back out through the straw that i sucked my milkshake through can't be good!
  • yarwell
    Options
    http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/product_nutrition.beef.20.cheeseburger.html is interesting reading. Nothing is over 30% of the GDA so it fits easily into a balanced diet. The sugars are in the bun and the ketchup. The beef is "Just pure forequarter and flank". Don't like the look of the cheese though.

McD's are onto a loser whatever they do - if you add up the vegans, vegetarians, anti-capitalists, anti-Americans, foodies etc it wouldn't matter what they actually sold as the blind prejudice of the campaigners would probably win.
  • Lumett
    Options
    100g of Chicken breast is like 200 cals and has a TONNE of protein
    well, a few tens of grams perhaps :-)

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/703/2

Take a look my friend :),
    43g protein 231cals for 140g
    so ,
    31g protein 165 cals 100g of chicken breast, thats superb Protein:Calorie ratio IMHO mate, plus chicken breast is filling :)

Can EASILY, use this to supplement protein needs, 2 pieces of chicken breast at 340cals for around 60g a protein is great and can be used in a main meal
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    McDonalds is bad for so many reasons.

If you want more protein, eat a steak, not a burger that's been made with who knows what bits of the cow, a bun that's full of sugar, and cheese that looks more like plastic. Not to mention the sugary drinks, twice fried fries.....

Not to mention the ethical reasons to avoid McDonalds (and their ilk) such as the cynical marketing of fatty, sugary fast foods to children, their employment of low paid staff, mostly young people, who are frequently bullied into working more hours than they should, pressured into giving up breaks, no guaranteed hours, sick leave or holidays because they use zero hours contracts here in the UK, so they can be fired easily, or effectively made to leave because there are no hours available for them.
  • yarwell
    Options
    like I said, a few tens of grams of protein. Like most meats.