Celery

Options
marc8686
marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
It actually is a NEGATIVE calorie food. Celery contains fewer calories than it takes to chew it up. so its possible to burn calories by eating. should eating celery be logged in as Cardio? hah :)

Replies

• SurfinBird1981
    SurfinBird1981 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd rather run a mile than eat celery :frown:
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Don't know where I saw it online but I found a list of negative calorie foods. There are quite a few out there. I love me some celery but i don't think I could live on it to lose weight. Plus it has relatively little nutrition as its mostly water hence it being a neg cal food. Just made some hummus 2nite. That would be yummy w/ a bit of stalk. Mmm...
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i love celery with peanut butter and raisns, nom nom
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It actually is a NEGATIVE calorie food. Celery contains fewer calories than it takes to chew it up. so its possible to burn calories by eating. should eating celery be logged in as Cardio? hah :)
    Nonsense. each stick has 6 calories, so if it take a couple of minutes to eat one stick you'd only use up 2 or 3 calories eating it, a gain of 3 or 4
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options

This is unproven
  • thebigcb
    Options
    The whole Neg Calory food is a bit of a myth is it not. Bad/little science behind it?
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    The whole thing about negative calorie food (aka celery) is that it takes you more calories to chew AND digest it than is in the food itself, not just chew the food. Remember that all body processes require energy, even digestion, so you are burning calories even when sitting not doing anything.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Here is the answer courtesy of The Mayo Clinic, a much better source than the OP.

Negative-calorie foods: Diet gimmick or weight-loss aid?

I've heard that eating negative-calorie foods might be a good diet strategy. But what exactly are they?

Answer
    from Donald Hensrud, M.D.
    The Internet abounds with lists of purported negative-calorie foods — foods that supposedly take more energy to digest than they provide in calories. Many of these foods are vegetables and fruits, which can be part of an overall healthy diet plan. But they're probably not negative-calorie.

The theory is that you can lose weight by eating lots of these negative-calorie foods. Celery is a commonly cited example because it's mainly water and fiber. Proponents claim that you will burn more calories digesting celery than it contains, for a net loss.

Here's the reality. Throughout the day, about 5 to 10 percent of your total energy expenditure goes to digest and store the nutrients in the food you eat. Foods that contain few calories, such as celery and other nonstarchy vegetables, provide a small number of calories but still require energy to digest. That means it is theoretically possible to have a negative-calorie food, but there are no reputable scientific studies to prove that certain foods have this effect.

The bottom line: Following extreme diets that promote eating only a few foods can cause you to miss out on important nutrients. The key to successful weight loss is adopting a healthy lifestyle that includes a balanced diet and regular exercise.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/negative-calorie-foods/AN02040

I wish people would quit spreading such rubbish on mfp and do some research before spouting off a bunch of bs.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    The whole thing about negative calorie food (aka celery) is that it takes you more calories to chew AND digest it than is in the food itself, not just chew the food. Remember that all body processes require energy, even digestion, so you are burning calories even when sitting not doing anything.

Thats the idea behind it, I don;t think its true

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1896439_1896359_1896346,00.html
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I'd rather run a mile than eat celery :frown:

this
    and I hate running
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Bleurgh :sick:
  • John2347
    John2347 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Im not saying that there is such a thing as negative calorie foods, since all food has calories (except that fake no calorie stuff that is all chemicals), Im saying that people will think of it as negative calorie, and yes chewing and digesting a stick of celery will be around 0 on the net calories. If you smother it in PB and put chocolate chips on it you wont be around 0, but just a regular stick of celery is around 0.
  • 1MandM1
    1MandM1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i love celery with peanut butter and raisns, nom nom

Celery and peanut butter sounds good!!!!
  • thebigcb
    Options
    Im not saying that there is such a thing as negative calorie foods, since all food has calories (except that fake no calorie stuff that is all chemicals), Im saying that people will think of it as negative calorie, and yes chewing and digesting a stick of celery will be around 0 on the net calories. If you smother it in PB and put chocolate chips on it you wont be around 0, but just a regular stick of celery is around 0.

B/S
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    A bit silly to argue about this. I will add that my mother claimed that celery was a negative calorie food, but then, she was a large woman. So, maybe her thoughts don't count.
  • thebigcb
    Options
    I take it all back

I googled it and it turns out the CELERY IS A NEGATIVE FOOD. If its on google, its true people
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I thought this was chit chat, fun and games...I think it was all a bit tongue in cheek....If you bite your cheek and a chunk comes off and you swallow it do you log it???

Celery is great if it's chopped really small, cooked in a stew and disguised as meat!
  • marc8686
    marc8686 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    lol this turned into an actual debate? good lord it was a joke people.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    that must be why its so discusting.
  • LAWoman79
    LAWoman79 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I take it all back

I googled it and it turns out the CELERY IS A NEGATIVE FOOD. If its on google, its true people

Hahahahaha