Any other binge eaters out there?

Options
Hi,

I was just wondering whether there were any others on here who struggle with binge eating disrupting their healthy eating plans. I have been finding it difficult to stop myself from binge eating when i'm home alone or feeling low. If there's anyone else on here who feels like they need support i'd love to make some new friends so we can support each other and get our eating under control.

Please feel free to add me or send a message if you wanna share experiences :)

Replies

• jodiegauv91
    Options
    unfortunately yes.... it's tough to keep control and my original solution was to constantly be around other people, keeping busy all the time. I'm now starting to be able to spend time at home alone, not doing anything in particular, without craving food :)
  • scoobysnacks90
    Options
    Its great that you're getting back to a point where you dont have to worry about it so much I hope i can get back to that point soon too! I try being busy and surrounded by people too but there are always those times when i sit at home alone and all i can think about is all the food in the cupboards or how easy it would be to order a takeaway even though ive just eaten.
  • mransom1970
    mransom1970 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues! Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    *raises hand*. I get in the mood for junk and then have to eat it all till its gone (so there is none left to tempt me). I should just throw it out or try to buy less in the first place. I tried geting small amounts in to ration myself with but ended up eating it all in one go. i usually binge around ovulation and PMS times so I monitor my cycle closely.

Suggestion is to record the binges - date, time, what was going on, mental state, position in your cycle - and see if there is a correlation. It may help you prevent or be ready for a binge.
  • AbbeyTaylor87
    AbbeyTaylor87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I chronically starve and then binge =( I got my weight down to 114lbs and then binged for the best part of 2 months, putting me at an all time high of 123lbs. Absolutely gutted and disgusted with myself!! I do however seem to be getting this under control (for the past few days at least, although being a chronic binger, this is quite an achievement). I have moved back in with parents recently and their cupboards are constantly stocked with biscuits and these are my trigger. I have accepted that I must try and forget they are around and tell myself I have no right to eat them. This has helped considerably. I am also reading "Stop Bingeing" which has given me an insight into why I binge when I do and how I should deal with these situations. Good luck to you both with stopping bingeing!! and If you find something that helps you out, please advise, as no doubt I will be looking for strength again soon =\ xx
  • Booobarella
    Options
    Ooooooooohoooohooohoooo yes!!
    I am a terrible binge eater. At particular times of the month, my body demands chocolate and anything with carbs in it.
    I was really tough on myself and I have gone cold turkey on them, but over the last 3 months I have had one or 2 slip ups. Don't dwell on it, if you binge, don't write the whole day or week off, just get back on the wagon ASAP and keep going.
    The biggest tip I can give is to drink a glass of water when you get that intense craving feeling. I often carry a bottle around with me, I actually have a few in every room.
    Don't deny yourself the occasional treat. Just eat it in a sensible portion and you will be fine.
  • oldbutnotover
    oldbutnotover Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think binge eating may have someting to do with soothing ourselves. So learning some other ways of soothing ourselves when we are anxious or lonely or whatever is probably the key. Unfortunately, my alternative to binge eating is drinking red wine. Sometimes I wonder if some of us are so damaged that there are really no healthy ways to deal with the problem?
  • Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • gingersnapx00
    Options
    YES! I generally eat healthy and then BAM...something stressful happens and I'm binging on pizza and sweets. I hate it! That instant dopamine release when you eat chocolate just soothes me and makes me feel better. However I just don't eat a few...but lots of it til I'm sick. Then the guilt happens and whatever progress I had made has gone to hell in a hand basket. So I try not to buy trigger foods and when I need chocolate, buy a single serving that way there is no more to eat. This was a learned behavior I began as a young child and have been struggling since.
  • scoobysnacks90
    Options
    I feel like i can overcome this already just talking about this with other people! I find one of the only things that helps me is not getting the foods in that I binge on but ive just moved in with my boyfriend and he constantly has all these foods that make my mouth water. Also by keeping myself busy its much easier to ignore my urges and exercise is a great way of making me feel like i dont want to binge because ive done so much to lose weight its not worth the risk.
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. Sometimes I get through it by pure will power, other times I chug a couple of glasses of water really quick to fill my stomach so I physically can't eat.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Options
    One more consideration: what is the state of your digestion before the binge? I know for myself and my sister that when our digestion is off, especially when we are (TMI) constipated we reach for food, treat-type food. It seems we get confused between different types of uncomfortablesness in the gut and treat it all as hunger. We know we do this but its hard to tell ourselves that we are not actually hungry and take a laxitive/softener instead, then wait it out.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Options
    That instant dopamine release when you eat chocolate just soothes me and makes me feel better. However I just don't eat a few...but lots of it til I'm sick. .

Yup- its like a few makes you feel better- so loads wil make you feel great! But thats not what happens. Been there.
  • Elizaj85
    Elizaj85 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I am a binge eater one of my earliest horrifying moments is being very little (my mother said I was 5) eating all the sugar out of the sugar bowl in one hit, it got a lot worse the older I got. I take one day at a time, I'm fighting and at the moment I seem to be winning would love to both support and be supported with other suffers. together one day at time we'll all win! :-)
    Have an amazing day lovelies xx<3 xx

P.s please anyone feel free to add always looking to support and be supportive by others who've been through similar x
  • jodiegauv91
    Options
    When I'm home and I feel like I am not going to be able to avoid it, I get out of there as fast as I can ! Usually a good run helps me, especially because afterwards I don't feel like "wasting" the effort I just put into the run on eating empty calories.
    Also I used to give up and once I started a binge, I'd do it all the way until I felt like I was sick. Even if you give in to an urge (which is definitely ok!!), if you manage to stop and think "OK, that's enough", you'll feel proud and take another step towards getting better.
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! Me!
    Unfortunately I have a mother who binges and an aunt who binges. I grew up with my aunt saying, ''I ate so much I was sick in the night'' It wasn't until I was in my 20's that I realised what she was doing.

We don't talk about it, my aunt is smaller than a UK 8 but insists on buying size 12 (UK) clothes.
    I know I binge, but seeing it from my only two female relatives is quite sobering.

I've sort of got it under control.
    Chocolate binge- I would have coffee when I chocolate binged, so I cut out coffee and hardly eat chocolate now.
    Crisps is a bad one two, so I dont buy crisps.
    If I have an alcoholic drink during the day I get the munchies and just pig out.
    My biggest problem is my Wednesday night gaming night! I have to say ''Keep the snacks away from me!''
  • loztredders
    Options
    Yup, fellow Binger here too, usually at the weekends, 4000 cals this Sunday in fact. Feel free to add me as a friend. I managed to break the habit for months and months and I need to get back there!
  • Candy_monster
    Options
    I'm a binge eater too :(

It's when i'm home alone and trying to study, I plan for the binges and restrict beforehand though, although sometimes my binges are just too big :S
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Me!! Im in a bit of a state with it at the moment, I feel completely out of control and am really starting to hate myself for it. I don't know how to break the cycle but at the moment am going to have a break from calorie counting full stop. Im hoping that by eating relatively healthy food (which I do for the main part of my diet) but not restricting anything and only eating when Im actually hungry will help. Not sure if it will change my binging but Im on day 2 and already starting to feel a little better. Had a comfort eating session last night but nowhere near what I would normally eat and Im also starting to find out my trigger foods....feel free to friend request me because I could definitely do with friends in the same situation, it makes me feel alone and a little bit broken xx
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Get all the crap food out of your house. Don't even have that in there. Your boyfriend will give you some dirty looks, but after a few weeks, he will realize you are serious, and the junk will disappear. You can eat a whole container of strawberries, and be at something ridiculous like 100 calories