Over on protein - how bad is this?

Options
Hi,

Newbie here, only just started doing the food and exercise diary etc. I've found on a couple of occasions while I'm way under the fat, carbs and calories most days, I'm very near to going over or have gone over my protein allowance.

I eat a lot of fish, which obviously adds to it, but I wondered how bad it is if you go over your protein allowance regularly and whether it can seriously hinder your weight loss. (I'm taking plenty of exercise btw). I'd be interested to know your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Default MFP protein is too low, I would not worry about it.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist wants me to eat more protein than mfp suggests.
  • RenfieldX
    RenfieldX Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I found the defaults settings for protein to be far too low for me. You can go into the settings and change the % Carbs/Protein/Fat to be more to your liking. I've found 30-40% protein to be optimal for me. There's plenty of info (and debate) over what to set your macros at. Read up, and find what works for you.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    You're going to get huge bulky muscles.

no, but seriously. you're good.
  • krissagray
    krissagray Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think MFP suggested like 50 grams of protein a day for me. That would never work for me. I eat at least 120 grams of protein daily.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If anything you want more protein...especially after a workout, because it will be better for your muscles.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Protein is tasty, eat more and be less hungry!
  • mysterysilk
    Options
    protein is one of the things I normally go over in, and I'm still on a steady track of losing weight. I wouldn't worry. Plus it helps with muscle :D
  • grumpythrowback
    Options
    Thanks people, I feel reassured. I'm cycling to work daily 12 miles round trip and going swimming 2-3 times a week, so I think I need more protein too. I won't worry about it too much, just hate seeing those red minuses!

I'll have a go at changing the settings, thanks, good tip.
  • Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt worry about it at all. I strive for high protein days. It helps me build muscle and is good for my hair :) For me, MFP set my carbs too high and my protein too low. I just adjusted it to where I wanted it and have been doing fine.
  • Eagles802051
    Eagles802051 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If your weight training you should get anywhere from .7 to 1.5 grams of protein per lb of body weight. Going over on protein is not bad so dont sweat it