10k marathon in under 2 weeks

Options
So I've stupidly decided to do the local 10k in 12 days time...

I've done one before, with 3 days notice, and ran it in an hour. Was quite happy with that, to say I had no training (though I was regularly playing competitive football once or twice a week). This time round, I have been too busy for football... went for a 2.5 mile run yesterday (6mph).. found the first half (surprisingly) very tough, then after 30 seconds rest, the second half much easier.

I plan to keep exercising, swimming, hopefully a couple of games of football before the run. What kind of training should I do in this 2 weeks coming up though... maybe try and fit in, say, 5/6 runs before the big day? I think I've read that there's no need to run the full distance in training..?

Replies

• CJSCHUYLER
    CJSCHUYLER Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I found this last 2 weeks of a 8 week schedule for you. i have trained for runs before and this is about what i have done so the principle of it seems true. If you stick to the principle and do what you can on those days you should see a benifit. The CT is for cross training. I hope this is a help in some way shape or form.

day1 Rest, day2 3.5 m run, day3 CT, day4 3 m run, day5 Rest, day6 5 m run, day7 40 min EZ run or CT
    day1 Rest, day2 3 m run, day3 CT or Rest, day4 2 m run, day5 Rest, day6 Rest, then you have the Race day.
  • Adforperu
    Adforperu Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That looks excellent (and doable!), thank you!

My aim is to shave 5 minutes off last time, not sure if that's going to be tough.. problem is that I have no way of timing myself until the day (running with pacesetters really helps). Should get myself a watch really..
  • CJSCHUYLER
    CJSCHUYLER Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    if you listen to music with itunes or anything that has the time of each song on it you can get a base time from the total of all the songs you listened to. i have a playlist that i use the eliptical machine to that puts me at a 1930 3mile time if i stay to the beat of the music. Yeah, i get bored sometimes on my off days from the gym. Plus making the playlists and research keeps me amped about it all for motivation.
  • Adforperu
    Options
    Problem is I listen to music on my phone, but I've upgraded to one that doesn't fit in my holder thingy. I always found it a bit annoying and fiddley to be honest. I like the idea of running to the beat though!
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    are you doing a 10k or a marathon?
  • Adforperu
    Options
    10k.. not quite ready for a marathon yet (!)
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    If you havent been a regular runner then finishing under the hour is decent enough. i dont know where you are with your training but shaving 5 mins off is normally a big ask. in a 10k that's arriving one K quicker than you did last time!
  • ZombieChaser
    ZombieChaser Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I found this last 2 weeks of a 8 week schedule for you. i have trained for runs before and this is about what i have done so the principle of it seems true. If you stick to the principle and do what you can on those days you should see a benifit. The CT is for cross training. I hope this is a help in some way shape or form.

day1 Rest, day2 3.5 m run, day3 CT, day4 3 m run, day5 Rest, day6 5 m run, day7 40 min EZ run or CT
    day1 Rest, day2 3 m run, day3 CT or Rest, day4 2 m run, day5 Rest, day6 Rest, then you have the Race day.

I like this plan - when I was training for my 10.6k this year, the last two days i just did a small low pace 3k run. It felt great, just gives your legs time to remember "running", but not pushing yourself too hard before the big day :)

Best of luck on your race! I did my first one this past Sunday and it was awesome!
  • Adforperu
    Options
    @madmickie Ooo do you think? I plucked a number from thin air to be honest, I just thought that 55 minutes meant shaving 30 seconds off a 10 minute mile... sounds easier than it is I guess then?

@ZombieChase Thanks!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Yeah knocking 30 seconds a mile without training is a very big ask over a 10K.

Training is not just entiery about fitness, its also the mental aspect of running. I ran my first 10K in March and did a 1 hour 8 seconds (9:36 minute miles), even after quite alot of regular training(although i was still a losing substantial amounts of weight then).

I did my next 10K last week and aimed for a a 57:30 (9:16 minute mile), which i knew i was capable off. However, i trainer very hard for 10 weeks, on a structured 4 days weeks running plan, with plenty of cross training on the bike and swimming and i actually did it in 53:48 (8:40 minute mile). I was physically dead as i crossed the line, i couldnt stand up, and as you see form my pic i was whiter than white lol. But the training i did paid off.

Do expect to produce a personal best if you have been doing less for this run than you did the last. 2 weeks training will deffinately help, plan out your runs and stick to it. This will help in mental preperation.

Look up Speed work and lactic threshold training, id sugest 1 session of each before your race, this will help you determine that you are capable of pushing your body further and harder than your brain thinks it can, the sessions hurt but are valued. I also suggest no hard training 4 days before the race, amd nothing other than a gentle walk 2 days prior. This is important, this allows your muscles to fully repair and be in top shape ready for the punishing your about to give them.

I also would suggest a long run (very easy) of at least 10K, this is more of a mental thing again to know what 6.2 miles feels like. Prior to my 10Ks i get up to 9 or 10 miles on my long runs. but i work up to that distance gradually over weeks and weeks, you unfortunately dont have time for that.

Anyone agree/disagree with this? Personally these strategies have helped me over-achieve of late, but they are only suggestions.

If you would like me to help you with a proper plan for the next 2 weeks ill gladly help, just let me know what you have done recently (distances times), free time available, and cross training access.

and sorry for the life story lol
  • Adforperu
    Options

Training is not just entiery about fitness, its also the mental aspect of running. I ran my first 10K in March and did a 1 hour 8 seconds (9:36 minute miles), even after quite alot of regular training(although i was still a losing substantial amounts of weight then).

Wow, that wasn't the Dronfield one was it? I ran in 1 hour 12 seconds! Actually, I didn't realise there were more like 6.2 miles in 10k, that's a faster run than I realised!

I did my next 10K last week and aimed for a a 57:30 (9:16 minute mile), which i knew i was capable off. However, i trainer very hard for 10 weeks, on a structured 4 days weeks running plan, with plenty of cross training on the bike and swimming and i actually did it in 53:48 (8:40 minute mile). I was physically dead as i crossed the line, i couldnt stand up, and as you see form my pic i was whiter than white lol. But the training i did paid off. [/quote]

Well that's very impressive, well played.. sounds like the training paid off, but very difficult too! The only reason I feel 55 minutes would be doable is because for the last half mile or so, I pretty much sprinted (well, in context) and it made me think whether running faster might work. I'm guessing the Bupa 10k is similar to the Dronfield one.. there are staggered start times for how fast you expect to be... perhaps I could start at 55min and see how it goes?
    Do expect to produce a personal best if you have been doing less for this run than you did the last. 2 weeks training will deffinately help, plan out your runs and stick to it. This will help in mental preperation.

I'm going to stick to the plan almost exactly to what was posted earlier as it fits around my plans perfect!

Look up Speed work and lactic threshold training, id sugest 1 session of each before your race, this will help you determine that you are capable of pushing your body further and harder than your brain thinks it can, the sessions hurt but are valued. I also suggest no hard training 4 days before the race, amd nothing other than a gentle walk 2 days prior. This is important, this allows your muscles to fully repair and be in top shape ready for the punishing your about to give them.

I also would suggest a long run (very easy) of at least 10K, this is more of a mental thing again to know what 6.2 miles feels like. Prior to my 10Ks i get up to 9 or 10 miles on my long runs. but i work up to that distance gradually over weeks and weeks, you unfortunately dont have time for that. [/quote]

Tempted by this, but it may sound odd, but I find it hard to jog slow! Maybe I should remedy that...
    Anyone agree/disagree with this? Personally these strategies have helped me over-achieve of late, but they are only suggestions.

If you would like me to help you with a proper plan for the next 2 weeks ill gladly help, just let me know what you have done recently (distances times), free time available, and cross training access.

Very kind sir, I'll stick to the plan and see how it goes but you may very well hear from me !
  • ZombieChaser
    Options
    <snip>
    I also would suggest a long run (very easy) of at least 10K, this is more of a mental thing again to know what 6.2 miles feels like. Prior to my 10Ks i get up to 9 or 10 miles on my long runs. but i work up to that distance gradually over weeks and weeks, you unfortunately dont have time for that.

<snip>

I would suggest this one too! The mental aspect is also very important. Have you run the course yet? I would recommend doing that as well, so you get a feel for any obstacles (hills, sharp turns, choke points, etc) before race day. This way too you can strategize how you're going to run it, saving a bit in the tank for that one killer hill.

If anything, I would recommend some speed interval training. Getting your heart used to coming up and going down quickly, whether it's going up a hill, or passing another runner, or even that killer strong finish - you also need to condition your heart to react accordingly.

For intervals, I did the pyramid style 4X400 meters - ie: after warming up, sprint 100m, run 100m, sprint 200m, run 200m etc until 400m, then work your way back down to 100m. If you have an HRM, use it to track how quickly your heart rate jumps and slows as you do this training.

If you can work in some hill training, all the better too! If you can, find a nice steady climb hill of about 400 meters, and after a 1k warm up run, run up and down a few times, then 1k warm down run.

If you need more details, PM me and I'd be more than happy to share :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I did my next 10K last week and aimed for a a 57:30 (9:16 minute mile), which i knew i was capable off. However, i trainer very hard for 10 weeks, on a structured 4 days weeks running plan, with plenty of cross training on the bike and swimming and i actually did it in 53:48 (8:40 minute mile). I was physically dead as i crossed the line, i couldnt stand up, and as you see form my pic i was whiter than white lol. But the training i did paid off.

Disagree on the speed work. You need to have a strength phase and aerobic (base) phase before the body systems can handle speed work.

Honestly, the only think the OP can do on this short notice is run easy 3 to 4 times a week, 3 to 5 miles at a time. Maybe stretch a long run to 6 or 7 one time. 2 weeks really isn't enough time to get fit, but it is more than enough time to get hurt. Be careful.
  • ZombieChaser
    Options
    Disagree on the speed work. You need to have a strength phase and aerobic (base) phase before the body systems can handle speed work.

Honestly, the only think the OP can do on this short notice is run easy 3 to 4 times a week, 3 to 5 miles at a time. Maybe stretch a long run to 6 or 7 one time. 2 weeks really isn't enough time to get fit, but it is more than enough time to get hurt. Be careful.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you Carson...I think the OP (even though it's not clearly stated) has a bit of a base with some physical activity already. I'm presuming that if he's fit enough to run a 10k, he can handle some speed work as well.

Maybe the OP can share with us what he's currently doing for exercise?

Obviously (and this should go without saying, but I will anyway) listen to your body and don't kill yourself with an abundance of high intensity training. But I still stand firm in suggesting that there should be some speed work (maybe 3 training days) mixed in there.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you Carson...I think the OP (even though it's not clearly stated) has a bit of a base with some physical activity already. I'm presuming that if he's fit enough to run a 10k, he can handle some speed work as well.

Maybe the OP can share with us what he's currently doing for exercise?

Obviously (and this should go without saying, but I will anyway) listen to your body and don't kill yourself with an abundance of high intensity training. But I still stand firm in suggesting that there should be some speed work (maybe 3 training days) mixed in there.

Overall fitness and running fitness are not the same thing. He mentioned that he hasn't been playing football (I'm American, so I'm assuming soccer) this year. Had he been, I would have called it differently. The physical structures that support running are one component that needs to been prepared for the speed work, not just the aerobic base.

We'll see what he says.
  • Adforperu
    Options
    Hello, sorry to cause an arguement! Everyone has their different ways of doing something :)

To clarify, I've played loads of football (soccer) this year, but not a lot in the past month or so. I like to think I'm semi fit, I walk about 30 minutes a day usually, and I use the gym now and again (a lot more now the health kick has started).

I think I use a combination of your advice ;)
  • ZombieChaser
    Options
    Argument? Naw :) I think we both just needed a bit more info from you that's all!

Unless Carson was arguing ;) hehehe :flowerforyou:
  • CarsonRuns
    Options
    Argument? Naw :) I think we both just needed a bit more info from you that's all!

Unless Carson was arguing ;) hehehe :flowerforyou:

Nope. Not me. :smile:

OP, I think you *might* benefit from a little bit of speed work over the next two weeks, but don't expect a miracle. I wouldn't do any speed at a pace faster than your 10K goal pace though. Some nice easy running is going to help a lot too. Good luck!
  • Adforperu
    Options
    Thanks guys!

Argument* by the way, I hate spelling things wrong! :P
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The main thing we all agree on seems to be get 6.2 miles under your belt the week before, if you can, do the course. I enjoy biking my courses as a preview. Try to do that if your not able to run it. It does help.

Main thing over all of this, is enjoy it! :)