+1.... I spit in your general direction, Diet Gods!

Options
Woke up this morning to see that I am up one pound on the scale. Now, if this were one of the 2,483 other times that I've tried to lose weight, this would be my cue (ooh, that word reminds me of bar-be-cue) to say, "oh what the heck, it's not working, so I might as well just binge away" (SCOTT TO ICE CREAM CONE: "Hellooooooo Gorgeous...."). But that just ain't gonna happen. No sir. No ma'am. Not me. Not this time.

Step One: Review yesterday's food list to find out why this happened. Let's see... Calories? Nope, stayed within allotment. Fiber? Well, I did eat a lot of fruit and veggies and have not yet visited the Reading Room this morning. Sodium? hmmm... let's see... BINGO... lookie there. Started the day yesterday with home made french onion dip made from Fage non-fat yogurt and french onion soup mix. The whole really filling and satisfying recipe only amounted to 250 or so calories (including ribs of romaine lettuce substituting for fritos), but the dip mix had 2,440 mg. of sodium. Why that's supposed to be my entire intake of sodium for the whole day. No wonder I am retaining water. That much sodium should make me as effective at that as the Hoover Damn (pun intended).

Step Two: So what are you gonna do about it Big Boy? And more importantly, why are you talking to yourself in the third person? This is creepy. Stop it. No, you stop it. NO, YOU STOP IT. Anyway, Step Two involves recognizing that this is a marathon that I am on, not a sprint. I can stop getting on the scale every day. Yeah, that's not gonna happen. Ok, so instead, I can recognize that occasional ups in my downs are a normal part of this process. I can do that. Also, I can begin to monitor my sodium intake as well as I have my calorie and fat intake. That's a good idea. Finally, I can increase my intake of water today to flush out (hahahah... you're funny... no, YOU'RE funny... ok, we're BOTH funny) the extra salt. That's what I'll do.

Step Three: Stay on program!

Step Four: Spit in the general direction of the Diet Gods. I refuse to slip on this banana peel (or, perhaps more appropriate, Blooming Onion peel) that you've tossed in front of me to make me screw up. I'm 51 years old, dammit. I'm SUPPOSED to learn from my previous mistakes. So this time I will.

Step Five: Obtain a very good therapist to help with this speaking in the third person thingie.

Ok, it's a plan. I'll do all of that.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some scrambled egg whites with green peppers, red peppers, onions, cayenne pepper and gran masala to consume. Y'all have a great day. I am going to prepare to continue for the rest of my succesful marathon.

Peace out!

Replies

• blackcoffeeandcherrypie
    Options
    Lol! Awesome post.

I too discovered the evils of sodium this week after eating some chicken fried rice and promptly gaining 3kg overnight. When I think back to previous diets in which I lost virtually nothing (the chicken soup one springs to mind) I am fairly sure that it was high sodium causing me to retain water.

I'm so thankful I have this ability to track nutrients on MFP - it puts you so much more in control when you can see what's going wrong in cold hard numbers.

Anyway, I'm off to buy low sodium snacks. Have some water and, uh, something without salt in it and you'll be fine tomorrow :-D
  • LoNCole
    LoNCole Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the laugh this morning! And good for you for sticking with it!
  • Roseysue
    Roseysue Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Funny bones!! Your therapist is going to tell you that you are allowed to talk to yourself. This "diet" thing is, after all, a battle between your logical side, your emotional side and maybe even your hungry side - heck there's probably multiple personalities involved that are either scheming to bring you down or working together to help you succeed. Whatever is going on in all our heads I just had to let you know that I loved your post!! Thanks for the humor today - I needed the giggle. This losing weight thing is a hard and frustrating journey for most of us and it's good to be able to laugh at it.
  • LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Crazy Awesome Entertaining post this morning!! Love it!

I hope You...and the other You can work through this minor slip up!!! :happy:

Have a super Low-Sodium Day!!
  • KaciWood19
    KaciWood19 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    great post. Thanks for the laugh, I needed it! :)
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Good, logical breakdown.

Go get 'em, tiger.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You are hilarious! Keep up the positive attitude and hard work... you're on the right track. This is ALL about learning and seems you are already ahead of the game! Good luck to you and your multiple personalities. :laugh:
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Funny bones!! Your therapist is going to tell you that you are allowed to talk to yourself. This "diet" thing is, after all, a battle between your logical side, your emotional side and maybe even your hungry side - heck there's probably multiple personalities involved that are either scheming to bring you down or working together to help you succeed. Whatever is going on in all our heads I just had to let you know that I loved your post!! Thanks for the humor today - I needed the giggle. This losing weight thing is a hard and frustrating journey for most of us and it's good to be able to laugh at it.

I totally agree!
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    Ha ha...that was good!

More importantly, I think you've got it this time! I have also changed my whole mindset and it's working.

I have had weeks of great loses, small loses, gains, and I have even decided to take a week to maintain (done that 4x since my start).

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Fantastic post.
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    I just have to say that I adore this post. And your speaking in third person. ^^
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Great post!!! We all need to sit back and remember that our bodies do retain things and we will have days where we want to chuck the scale. Like you...I will not stop weighing every day. The key is to not let the little ups upset you but to figure out what to do to correct them.

Good luck with the therapist! Please make sure to let them know that not only are you speaking in the 3rd person...you're arguing and complimenting yourselves!!! ;-)
  • skykitten
    Options
    I've never posted before but been lurking a while so just wanted to pop on here and say, that was hilarious! Well done on reasoning yourself into making positive decisions and congrats on being so funny...you should write a column or something...if you don't already of course!
  • bussaca
    bussaca Posts: 22
    Options
    Love this - I was laughing through the whole thing!

Thanks for sharing, and thanks for reminding me to be checking my sodium!
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite posts ever! Thank you for a great start to my day!
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    *giggle* awesome out look!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! If we would all have more converstionas with ourselves like this one, we would all be successful!
    Have a great day you guys!
  • LuLuSUPER
    LuLuSUPER Posts: 189
    Options
    Good deal! you are hillarious
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^-high 5
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Fantastic start to my morning! Kudos to both (or all?) of you for seeing the evil of salt :grumble: - that bad boy has hit me more than once on the morning trip to the scale.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!