12 Day Cleanse...thoughts?

Options
So I have a co-worker that has always done a 12 day cleanse and I have been thinking about trying it, but am torn because I do not beileve that I will have enough energy to get through the day.....

The cleanse is drinking the following beverage:

Water
Lemon Juice
Cayan Pepper
Maple Syrup

Just drinking that all day long...no food....

He says that you will lose 15 pounds in the end and while I would love to lose 15 pounds in 12 days, I am a little skeptical....If anyone has any thoughts/opinions I would greatly appreciate it!

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just ... no.
  • annabanana05
    Options
    no! you need food!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    And you will gain back at least 15 pounds over the next month.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Losing Weight =/= Losing Fat

You'll lose some fat for sure if you do what amounts to almost a 2 week fast. But not 15 lbs worth. Not even close.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    No. You will be grumpy and weak during it. Sure, you might lose the weight fast, but once it's over, the weight will come right back on.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    Starvation, hype diet...and if you do you will gain it all back rather quickly. The only way to truly lose weight is to move your body and to RELEARN the way you think and feel about food. Most people live to eat...you need to learn to make the food work for your body and eat to live. when you figure this out you will start to lose by leaps and bounds.
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    <<<---- Saw this yesterday on Facebook. Pretty much how I approach them! Just eat better and you'll be fine. If you want to cleanse crap out of your system, look at what you're eating.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    The "Master Cleanse" has been around forever...

I've never tried it because it sounds awful, but I have a couple friends who have tried this in the past. They felt like crap, had diarrhea, were weak and irritable...and gained all the weight back afterward.

I have a pretty limited understanding of how the organs function, but it seems like the liver already does a "cleanse" for your body. Why not just add more fresh fruits and vegetables to your diet, cut back on the junk, drink more water, use portion control, exercise a bit more, and enjoy eating while losing weight at a slow and steady rate? (This is exactly what I did when I started on MFP a year and a half ago. I lost 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks simply by making dietary changes. The rest of the weight has come off slowly but steadily.
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Look honestly it doesn't sound that appealing.
    If your just wanting to cleanse your body to boost your weight loss you can go get a mild laxative, and take it for a week. Drink lots of water, and flush your body out. Thats what a Dr told me to do. It does the same as all the other things people are doing to themselves without all the harm.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide to do. Either way I suggest that you speak with a Dr first. Remember, what works well for some people may not work as well for another.

Good luck.
  • heidi878
    Options
    No offense meant. but your co-worker sounds mental !! It's just another fad diet (think cabbage soup diet etc) Just stick to MFP and do some exercise - your excess pounds will come off just a little slower. There is no substitute for a healthy diet and excercise..
    I've tried these kind of diets before and I always out the weight back on within a few weeks...
  • WandaVonDunajew
    WandaVonDunajew Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did Mastercleanse for 10 days. She said its amazing to see what you can eliminate out of your body even after 10 days of only liquids. I want to try it too. Caloric speaking you hit around 1000- 1200 (all the maple syrup), macros aren't fantastic but I say that just for 10-12 days its nice to be able to clean the pipes :tongue:
    The difficult part is where you are used to chewing stuff and psychologically it can be hard to get past the "just drinking lemonade for 10 days" stuff, but after 2-3 days its fine, apparently you dont even get hungry. Good luck! :drinker:
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Why would you want to do that to yourself?

Why not just eat perfectly healthy for 12 days, feel better and lose weight.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did Mastercleanse for 10 days. She said its amazing to see what you can eliminate out of your body even after 10 days of only liquids.

I find this incredibly hard to believe, and I suspect so would my internist.
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    Ohhhh but just think of all the toxins you'll lose....ya know....cuz your body wasn't designed to cleanse itself naturally!!! O_o

Stay away from the crazy. There is too much crazy out there. Sit back and laugh as your coworker starts complaining of gaining eight pounds overnight when s/he starts eating again.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    nonono

eat right, work hard, period.
  • keithnh44
    keithnh44 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I won't be in the majority here, but my wife does this cleanse a few times a year, for 3 or 4 days at a time (not 12 days). And she loves it. She feels better afterwards and she says it's great for her sinuses. She doesn't necessarily do it for weight-loss, but more for the cleanse itself.
  • Preacher224
    Preacher224 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am familiar with fasting. Which basically this is. As long as you do not go with just water but add the sugars of the maple syrup or other juices during a fast you can go as long as 40+ days with no detrimental effect. I would do some more study however on the subject of cleansing and fasting before making the decision. I have fasted as long as 21 days on liquids only. Yes you will at times feel a bit weak but really after 4-7 days you gain your strength back and are not even hungry anymore. i did a 21 day liquid fast in March followed immediately by 19 more of very limited grains, veggies etc. (not meat, sweets, dairy etc). I lost approx 20-25 lbs. I then continued on and never went back to eating the wrong things or the wrong potion sizes. I also started walking regularly. I am down from 198lbs to 162lbs and no longer take BP, cholesterol, or any other meds except 1/2 Prilosec OTC a day for excess stomach acid. I am about to eliminate coffee possibly to try to get of of this too. I would suggest the healing abilities of proper fasting to anyone who is medically able to do so. That being said, it is not something you go into uneducated. Try the following book for a start. "Toxic Relief" Dr Colbert. It is a beginning point. The cleanse you are talking about is actually very safe and effective. Also look at the website "The Master Cleanse" for more info. I haven't looked into the totality of this one but it is similar to the one yo are talking about. Hope this helps. Remember, if you do go on this cleanse, you absolutely must break the fast properly to get your digestive system back to functioning properly without intestinal discomfort. Go slow and easy building up to meats over a period of about 4-10 days depending on how long the fast is. Again, I hope this helps. BTW I fast for spiritual as well as physical reasons. I am not writing this to show off my fasting I am writing this to help you in your journey to being the healthiest person you can be. Consult a physician before starting any long fast of this sort to make sure you are healthy and it does not have a chance to affect you adversely.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    And you will gain back at least 15 pounds over the next month.

^^^^^^^^
    so true!
    I am on the last day of the shakeology cleanse, It is only 3 days and some people lose up to 10 pounds on that one. I, dont really care for the taste, feel hungry and a tiny bit crabby, miss coffee and protein besides white grilled plain chicken. Not for me, I am sticking it out because I said I was and don't want to be a quitter.

I just am thinking 12 days is WAY too long. If you want to try it maybe lower how long and if you end up loving it I guess you can keep going. I just think there is a good chance anyone would lose weight on it, but who would be able to keep the weight off? I prefer to lose weight healthy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who did Mastercleanse for 10 days. She said its amazing to see what you can eliminate out of your body even after 10 days of only liquids.

So you don't have a liver and kidneys, then?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The only way you cold lose 15lbs of fat over 12 days would be to run a caloric deficit of approximately 4,375 cal per day which would require netting negative calories (unless you're 7 feet tall and 400lbs).

The whole weight loss, improved heath/ fitness journey is a marathon not a sprint. Try to adopt changes that can be maintained for the rest of your life (eating a balanced nutritious diet, increasing levels of physical activity)