If you eat "diet" ice cream, read this...

Options

Replies

• JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    All that aside though, I'm still buying arctic zero. Tastes great in a protein shake....
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    FREEEZE yoplait light yogurts :)))
  • 4skylarandmia
    Options
    I have regular sherbert and it's really low in calories, very yummy
  • fleerik
    fleerik Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I had some ice cream this evening and ate REAL ice-cream. I told myself, if i'm going to do it I'm not foolin' around with that "low calorie" stuff. No more ice cream for a while...just a little treat for me and my wife. In fact I threw away the rest to rid myself of any temptation!
  • texastango
    texastango Posts: 309
    Options
    On the Today Show this morning they tested "diet" ice creams to see if their nutritional labels were accurate. Of course A LOT of them weren't, including the trusted Weight Watchers brand. More and more I'm learning that WW is more interested in their profit more than anything else! Copy and paste the link to read the article online:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48596412/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/t/rossen-reports-can-you-believe-diet-frozen-dessert-labels/#.UDJNWd1mTfE

At the site listed below you'll find that even if the labels were correct: The current thinking is not to eat Low fat/Fat Free foods becasue you end up eating more....but to eat limited full fat foods and those in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated omega 3. See the link to the Harvard School of Public Health below for more details.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/nutrition-news/low-fat/

You only eat more if you can't exercise self control.

Perhaps. The problem is that statistically that's what happens when most people eat low-fat or fat-free items. You don't get the same feeling of fullness and so you end up eating either more fat or worse...simple carbs. Clearly this isn't everyone...but America got significantly heavier from the 1990s through 2012 and yet our diet consistancy of fat dropped from 40 percent on average to 33 percent. So even though "on average" American cut 7 percent fat out of our diets...we got much heavier as a nation. So while you may be able to demonstrate significant self control...that's not the typical case...if it were...the introduction of fat free items across the board would have resulted in us dropping in weight...not significant increases.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    On the Today Show this morning they tested "diet" ice creams to see if their nutritional labels were accurate. Of course A LOT of them weren't, including the trusted Weight Watchers brand. More and more I'm learning that WW is more interested in their profit more than anything else! Copy and paste the link to read the article online:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48596412/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/t/rossen-reports-can-you-believe-diet-frozen-dessert-labels/#.UDJNWd1mTfE

This is why it's a good idea to avoid as much processed food as possible.

That's exactly right!...Because for whatever reasons...Too many food manufacturers have no real qualms about lying bigtime about what the hell is really in the food that they are peddling to the public...I really doubt that many of these manufacturers even eat their own junk (muchless feed it to their families).
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches and PET regular ice cream sandwiches have the same amount of calories. No brainer for me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    On the Today Show this morning they tested "diet" ice creams to see if their nutritional labels were accurate. Of course A LOT of them weren't, including the trusted Weight Watchers brand. More and more I'm learning that WW is more interested in their profit more than anything else!

Imagine a business being interested in profit!

Anyway, most food labels are not 100% accurate. They're allowed a certain margin of error and it's pretty large.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    Good info ! and I love skinny cows and love them more now knowing that the calories were actually lower than the label ! WOO HOO!

I personally would like to see Skinny Cow added to the Food Pyramid!!! I love them!
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I watched that too. I eat diet ice cream every day, and I'e never gained weight from it. I think that if your diet is healthy overall and you make an effort to be an active person, a small percentage of calories, either in surplus or deficit, isn't going to make a difference if you're at a healthy weight.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Oh God. I just ate a pint of arctic zero yesterday... Like I didn't have enough to worry about. 20% variance on food labels? I'm not going to be able to eat comfortably ever again... Thanks.

Sorry. :-/ Maybe switch brands? (Or switch to popsicles...) From the article:

"But the biggest gut-buster of all: the new summertime craze, Arctic Zero ice cream. It promises 150 calories for the whole pint: Sounds great. But in our test, the results were less than appetizing.

Our sample of Arctic Zero Vanilla Maple had a whopping 46 percent more calories than the label. The Chocolate Peanut Butter: an incredible 68 percent more calories.

Arctic Zero told us its calorie counts are accurate. So we asked to see their test results — and we're still waiting."

You just broke my heart :brokenheart:
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I think it's also reasonable to speculate that if the FDA allows for X amount of variance in their calorie values, that plenty of other foods (not just low cal ice cream) are going to also suffer from this.

I think it's a good article, but I don't think it's justification for anyone to panic about their diet ice cream.

We are all estimating intake and in some cases expenditures. As long as the individual is responsible and alert enough to monitor their body as it changes, and adjust those values accordingly (intake/expenditure), then it really doesn't matter all that much.

This doesn't mean that I don't think it's good info to have, and if you're a habitual high volume ice cream eater (like myself), then it's definitely something to keep in mind IF your results aren't on par with expectations.

i work in the food industry, and last i checked, pre packaged foods were allowed around a 10-15% bump UP. They are really only required to meet the minimum weight specified on the package.

As for WW, i was thinking about that this morning and i think the whole "points" system is designed to keep you on WW. Every time they change their system, you need to go back, or you can't do it anymore.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    This one just feels right to me.

americone_dream1.jpg

You seem shocked that companies put making money above everything else. This is how the system is supposed to work, and the invisible hand of the market will take care of the other things, like low calories and such. Really companies should not be required at all to put anything on their label. If the demand is there, they will do it voluntarily, and apparently 20% margin of error is what big bad government wants you to have. I say vote down all regulated food labels. Now let that invisible hand of the market feed you more yummy ice cream, wash it down with a milkshake when your done too.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    This is why I posted it though...I have a lot of women trying to lose weight and I look at their diaries and they're eating this "diet" ice cream daily. I don't trust any "diet" food and have never eating "diet" food to lose or maintain my weight...but a lot of ppl buy into all the lies and myths of the diet industry (like Weight Watchers) so I thought it would be good to let ppl know to question what's in all that "diet" food..

I just don't understand the animosity I see here against Weight Watchers. There is nothing about that program that says you must eat their food. I was on it for a while and never ate WW anything. I ate the same foods I eat on MFP. And I lost a lot of weight and I learned all sorts of things about nutrition that I hadn't been aware of.

WW is eat less/move more. Period. Same as MFP.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like the assumption that the under reporting of calories is for diet foods and some how 'normal' foods are accurate.

might explain some peoples plataus as they could be eating a lot more than they think
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    All I can say is wow
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Oh God. I just ate a pint of arctic zero yesterday... Like I didn't have enough to worry about. 20% variance on food labels? I'm not going to be able to eat comfortably ever again... Thanks.

"But the biggest gut-buster of all: the new summertime craze, Arctic Zero ice cream. It promises 150 calories for the whole pint: Sounds great. But in our test, the results were less than appetizing.

Our sample of Arctic Zero Vanilla Maple had a whopping 46 percent more calories than the label. The Chocolate Peanut Butter: an incredible 68 percent more calories.

Arctic Zero told us its calorie counts are accurate. So we asked to see their test results — and we're still waiting."

These "variances" don't mean all that much. First, just because one pint has 46% more calories, it does not mean that another won't have 46% less. Also, if the serving is supposed to be 150 calories and instead is 46% higher, so it is 219 calories. That is not really going to affect you. It's only 69 calories. Yes, maybe you didn't want to eat the 69 calories that way, but it's not as traumatic as the media wants you to believe.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

These "variances" don't mean all that much. First, just because one pint has 46% more calories, it does not mean that another won't have 46% less. Also, if the serving is supposed to be 150 calories and instead is 46% higher, so it is 219 calories. That is not really going to affect you. It's only 69 calories. Yes, maybe you didn't want to eat the 69 calories that way, but it's not as traumatic as the media wants you to believe.

Please stop with your logic, it has no place here.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

Please stop with your logic, it has no place here.

I just can't help myself!