Can someone tell me more about insulin resistance?

Options

Replies

• mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Well. I'm not really sure about the true differences between insulin resistance and full blown diabetes...I thought insulin resistance was pre-diabetes or even the same thing.

I've been diabetic for...about a little over 4 years now. I was on metformin for maybe the first 2 years, with steadily lowering doses towards the last six months of that. I was also 50lbs heavier then, and also as a result suffered from both per-hypertension and high cholesterol and also taking meds for those two conditions.

Present day, I am on -zero- drugs. My A1C is also 4.7. I'm not cured. There is no cure for diabetes. But I am what is described as well controlled or having "reversed" it. (Once again, not to be confused with "cured".)

All this is due to shedding the unnecessary weight, over-hauling my diet and keeping active. I try to eat fresh veggies and fruit every day and keep my carbs down and whole grain, not processed. I don't eat a lot of sweets, or drink soda, juice or sweetened drinks. I'm not on point 100% of the time, I am human. ^_^ I'd say about 80-90%.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    My wife had a very similar situation, gestational diabetes, pre-diabetic. We both switched to "Eat to Live" by Dr. Fuhrman, and she has had no problems whatsoever since then. It's worth looking into at least. Check out the below link to his website about diabetes and insulin resistance.

http://www.drfuhrman.com/disease/Diabetes.aspx
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia after my daughter was born. I switched physicians after I had her because I knew something wasn't right with me, but my doctor said I was fine. My new physician specialized in women's general wellness and found my resistance immediately. I've been on metformin since, but never watched my diet and exercise routine. I continued to gain weight eating whatever, and with that, my dosage kept climbing up.

Last year, I focused on limiting my calories and carbs and after three months of dieting alone I lost 30lbs. At that point, the dosage I was one was making me hypoglycemic so I cut my dosage back and added exercise. Losing the weight is VERY hard, a constant uphill battle, because with ins. resistance your body WANTS to store fat - that extra insulin wants to sock away every calorie instead of burning the fuel. Just keep patient and focus not on dropping the lbs so much as building your fitness. Watch your carb intake and stay within your calorie goals. Make sure to maintain a weekly workout regimen and incorporate cardio as well as strength training. Building muscle also builds your calorie burning potential and helps to keep the insulin from adding to the fat stores. While my scale hasn't moved much since march, i've built muscle tone and am almost ready for my first 5k run. You can lose the weight, but it's not going to be a quick battle.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    was insulin resistant for years, took metformin to slow the progress. Now 20 YEARS later I am diabetic. Still take metformin and on 1800 ADA, A1C is just over 6 and lost 24 lbs since I started it in Jan. Anything is possible, you just have to be willing to make the effort it takes to change.
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    This is what I have been told.....
    Follow as close to the "diabetic's diet" as possible. Increase your water intake. Lose weight.
    I am the same as you. There is alot of information here http://www.diabetes.org
    I wish you the best.
  • Anthemyst
    Anthemyst Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've had a lot of success with metformin + diet/exercise. I was diagnosed with PCOS by my gynecologist, so you might want to make an appointment with one, especially if you are having any of the other symptoms associated with PCOS.
  • lsapphire
    lsapphire Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Look into cinnamon tablets, I have a friend that swears they help with her levels. I haven't found enough research to convince me yet though.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure about the true differences between insulin resistance and full blown diabetes
    Diabetes is defined by blood glucose levels.

Insulin resistance means various organs don't respond correctly to elevated insulin levels, so for example the liver keeps producing glucose when it's already elevated, or the fat tissues don't release or store fat when they should.

A Type 1 diabetic doesn't produce insulin and will have high blood sugar (hence they are diabetic !) but not be insulin resistant. Insulin resistance can lead to type 2 diabetes as the blood sugar level will tend to rise.

http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/insulinresistance/
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    This is great reading. I have PCOS and find it hard to lose weight - I am trying GI at the moment as I hit a plateau 4 months ago and no shift at all in weight since. I can say that GI diet has had an incredible effect on how I feel - energy wise, mood wise, health wise, in every way to be honest. I am going to my GP this afternoon and will ask him about testing for insulin resistance. Thanks for all the information.
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    It is absolutely possible to reverse diabetes in many cases.

http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?field-keywords=reversing diabetes&linkCode=ur2&tag=zerot0d-20&url=search-alias=aps

I got the book Reversing Diabetes and it is a great read with lots of practical advice and tips for improving and / or eliminating blood sugar problems.
  • SisSGetsFIt
    Options
    I hve PCOS with insulin resistance. I did not read through all of the comments, but something that seems to help me (and from my limited research, it seems to help others as well) is Apple Cider Vinegar (raw and unpasteurized) with honey. You can try 2 tsp in 8oz water with honey to taste (I take it before or after meals, depending on when I remember). SOme say an hour or so before or after. For myself, it seems to have helped reduce sugar cravings, and my acanthosis nigricans (dark around neck) has improved greatly (a sure sign that sugars are improving).

Edit: I forgot to add, but you probably already know: avoid the processed foods as mucha s you can, eat beneficial carbs (whole grains, quinoa, barley, etc...), drink water instead of sugary drinks. I am not a fan of low fat or sugar-free, or "light/lite" verisions of foods because they often contain other additives. For instance, I take real (organic cane) sugar over something like splenda or truvia, but I find myself using it less and less (bought a 3 lb sugar weeks ago and have yet to crack the thing open...praise the Lord for my cravings going away)...
  • qdiggs
    qdiggs Posts: 27
    Options
    Bump
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Wow. I had no idea this was such a hot topic. Thanks for all the responses. I'll try to answer some of the questions/comments.

Some history. I got gestational diabetes with my second child when I was 8 weeks pregnant and started insulin a few weeks later. I took diabetes classes and had a diabetic nurse who I worked with full time to try and control it. I was on the diabetes diet the entire time as well.

My glucose tolerance tests came back normal around 12 weeks post-partum but I was still having trouble with my fasting glucose so I went to see an endo doc. I had been using my meter for a while just to see how I responded to things like heavy carb meals and working out. My fasting is usually around 105-110. Sometimes after I workout it has been as low as 55-65. I never have high glucose levels after eating, even with pasta or pizza (max I've ever seen is 112 or so). So my issues is strictly my fasting. Anyways, the endo did my A1C which was ridiculously low, around 4, so she immediately dismissed me and said I'm just a little issues with blood sugar control and to eat healthy and exercise.

Regarding the Dawn Phenomenon, I definately had this when I was pregnant. I would go to bed with a normal blood sugar and wake up with a sky high one. You would be suprised how many endo's and diabetic nursers are unaware of this. Would it even be possible to still have this when I clearly don't have diabetes??

I drink 8-9 glasses of water a day, 1500 calories, usually never have a carb without a protein, and stick closely to a 40%carb/30%protein/30%fat diet.

I think metformin might be a solution for me but the endo I went to said absolutely not because I am not prediabetic and my lows are so low. My sister-in-law is prediabetic and has lost weight and felt better. It has really helped her.

I feel like I'm missing something in this equation. I don't have a lot to lose maybe 10-15lbs but I know the more belly fat I can lose the less likely I am to get diabetes in the future. I am taking supplements Advocare MN3 which is a pill pack of vitamins: fish oil, cinnamon, fiber, probiotic, D, C, and all the rest.

My diary is open for everyone to see. Dropping my carbs even lower I'll have the increase my protein even more and I'm already eating 100-150g protein a day. I'm also leaving several carbs still left sometimes over 70g not eaten for the day.

Thanks for everyones help!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Insulin resistance and Type 2 diabetes is totally controllable and in fact reversible. You need to get on top of the issue though, as the longer Type 2 ranges are kept, the more likely that a person can actually become Type 1 diabetic (insulin dependent with injections)

Normally when someone is insulin resistant and trying to lower their blood sugar and thus become more insulin sensitive they should first look at limiting their carbohydrate intake. Carbs tend to be the number 2 cause of blood sugar spikes right behind sugar itself, so the intake should be reduced and the types of carbs taken in should be watched. Carbs should generally only come from Vegtables and Fruits, grains should be reduced by quite a bit or cut altogether.

Many times you'll find the following are related and a lot of people that suffer from one have another linked condition as well (My wife certainly does)

Insulin Resistance
    Gluten Sensitivity/Intolerance/Allergy
    High Fasting Blood Sugar
    Hypothyroidism
    PCOS
    Type 2 Diabetes

Diabetics have found that a diet that is high in fat, moderate protein and low carbs that are limited to vegtables and fruits is typically the easiest way to control blood sugar and increase the effectiveness of insulin.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Type 2 diabetes is totally controllable and in fact reversible.
    Yes it is controllable. It's far from a fact that it's reversable. Are there any studies to support this "fact"?
  • Marll
    Options
    Yes, Type 2 diabetes is reversible. It may not be technically "curable" but you can reverse the effects and keep it under control by either using drugs like Metformin or naturally by adopting a lifestyle change that limits the amount of sugar and carbohydrates that you consume.

Only once you become a Type 1 diabetic is it impossible to reverse diabetes. For this reason, anyone that is insulin resistant, and bordering on Type 2 territory, or people that have already been diagnosed with Type 2 should really look at what they are eating and make a change. You may always have a predisposition for diabetes based on family traits and ethnicity, but you can keep it away by changing what you eat.

If that's not enough, here are some links:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/01/28/reverse.diabetes/index.html
    http://diabetes.webmd.com/features/reversing-type-2-diabetes
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/reverse-diabetes_b_918539.html
    http://drhyman.com/blog/conditions/5-steps-to-reversing-type-2-diabetes-and-insulin-resistance/
    http://www.diabetologia-journal.org/Lim.pdf
    http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/Blog/David-Spero/can-type-2-diabetes-be-reversed/
    http://www.ahwatukee.com/community_focus/article_adbc2fac-0af9-11e1-9323-001cc4c002e0.html

There are more, but that should be plenty of reading for now.
  • Marll
    Options
    Also, some people will automatically discount it because of the name, but Dr. Atkins wrote about 100s of patients of his over the many years in practice reversing the effects of high blood sugar with a low carb lifestyle.

The naturopath that my wife sees specializes in metabolic disorders and is very pro low carb/paleo for helping to control, heal and reverse in some cases the following

Thyroid issues
    Insulin resistance
    Diabetes

She says she's seen marked improvement in her patients she sees over the last 20 years of practice with some lifestyle changes, and drugs where absolutely necessary.
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Also, some people will automatically discount it because of the name, but Dr. Atkins wrote about 100s of patients of his over the many years in practice reversing the effects of high blood sugar with a low carb lifestyle.

The naturopath that my wife sees specializes in metabolic disorders and is very pro low carb/paleo for helping to control, heal and reverse in some cases the following

Thyroid issues
    Insulin resistance
    Diabetes

She says she's seen marked improvement in her patients she sees over the last 20 years of practice with some lifestyle changes, and drugs where absolutely necessary.

What is considered low carb? I, in fact, had my gallbladder removed two weeks after starting the Atkins diet back when it was popular. Literally stopped working. I was doing no carbs at the time.
  • Marll
    Options
    It's hard to say specifically as it varies per person, I for one feel best on 20-30g a day. I Personally think that anything under 100g is technically low carb.

Eventually when I loose the weight I want I'm going to shoot for about 40-50g a day as a maintenance level.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was recently diagnosed with insulin resistance back at the end of June. I've been working with a dietitian and we're starting to see a recent breakthrough. She has me on 1500mg of Metformin a day. Also, throughout this process we learned that I am wheat intolerant to make matters worse. Low carb diets historically were the only way I would see weight loss in the past but they are incredibly hard to maintain. She insisted I increase my carb count to 55-60% with the incorporation of more whole grains... Well I gained 10 pds. We played around with the types of carbs and finally came to the conclusion that I'm wheat intolerance with the numerous GI side effects I also getting by eating them. We also tried gluten free products but to no success. I am now eating approx 55% carbs with the elimination of bread, pasta, corn and processed foods. I mainly eat protein, lots of fruit/veggies, salads, potato, beans and dairy. I like to say I eat 80% grain free since I don't have the time to micromanage every small ingredient that I can't even pronounce. In two weeks I've lost 4 pounds and I'm seeing a huge difference with my energy. I am averaging 1400-1600 calories a day with an average of 45-60 min of exercise 6 days a week. You are welcome to friend me.

I have learned insulin resistance is an added challenge in the struggle to lose weight however, not unmanagable. You just have to find what works for your body. In my research, I learned some people have tremendous success with the GI diet where you eliminate the complex carbs and balance your other carb intake with protein or dairy to lower the GI value of the carb to help manage your blood sugar levels.

^^ This is so true. I could have written this. Basically I eat paleo. No bread, pasta, processed anything. I will eat the occasional baked potatoe, but other wise all my carbs come from fruits and veggies.