Carb, Protein, Fat balance: REALLY confused...

I've been doing really well keeping under my calories using the MFP app (set to lose 2 pounds a week), and exercising every day except Sunday. I do 30 day shred 2 days, cardio 1 day, 30 Day Shred 2 more times, another day of cardio, then a rest day. I get 5 servings of veggies, and two servings of fruit a day. I'm drinking 8 glasses of water, and getting my sleep. Also keeping down the processed sugars.

I feel good, and I lost 2 pounds last week. I really hope to lose my spare tire, and the rest of my obviously visible body fat. MAYBE even show some sign of my abs :)

The thing is, I want to make sure I'm getting a good balance of carbs, protein, and fat. What's the best combination of the three? I hear a wide variety of the "best" ratio.

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    It really depends on what type of exercise you do. If you are trying to lose weight you need to eat in a calorie dificent, if you are trying to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time you should be eating at your TDEE, and each person if different for the percentage of carbs, fat, protein. If you are weight lifting you should be eating about 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass....so you would have to use one of the cal. to determine how much of your weight is fat and how much is lean muscle. Basically you need to play around and see what works best for you.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    I like 15% carb, 50% fat, 35% protein.
    The "standard" usually suggested is 50 carb, 30 protein, 20 fat.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    There is a minimum amount of fat and protein you should consume. Other than that, a lot is personal preference. Some people (like me) feel better with less carbs. Some people need carbs to fuel long endurance workouts.
  • trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
    Thanks for the feedback.

I'm trying to decide if I should have more carbs and less fat, or more fat and lass carbs. Either way, I'll keep my protein pretty high (around 30%).

If I lower my fat too much, does that decrease how many nutrients my body can absorb?

If I lower my carbs too much, will I lose too much energy?

I guess I can try and got pretty low on carbs, and see how my energy is.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    If I lower my fat too much, does that decrease how many nutrients my body can absorb?
    There are some fats you need that you only get by eating (omega 3 for example) and similarly for fat soluble vitamins, so it's a factor to consider.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    It depends on what you feel works best for you.

I like 60% carbs, 20% protein, 20% fat.

Even with that, daily I vary. each figure is +/- 5% on a daily basis.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    I try to go for at least 70% of calories from carbohydrates. Less than 20% from fat, and even that is a little high. Protein, i don't worry about. Most people get too much protein, and they have been sold on the idea that they need more. It's hard to not get enough protein, if you are eating the right foods.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    I try to go for at least 70% of calories from carbohydrates. Less than 20% from fat, and even that is a little high. Protein, i don't worry about. Most people get too much protein, and they have been sold on the idea that they need more. It's hard to not get enough protein, if you are eating the right foods.
    ^ This!!! I 100% totally agree. :) There is protein in all good foods (raw fruits and veggies)! Have you ever met, or even heard of anyone with a diagnosed protein deficiency? Have to be pretty much starving yourself to achieve that. :)
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    This is a question that is highly individual and is best answered through experimentation. Some people need a higher percentage of carbs in their diet in order to feel good and have energy for working out. Others put on weight just by thinking about carbs.

For me I stick to 40/30/30 (carb/pro/fat) if Im running maintenance or bulking because I feel best on it and it keeps me lean in a calorie surplus. If Im dieting, I restrict carbs, lower fats and increase protein to something like 30/45/25.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member

I think some people go for higher fat/protein because they believe it satiates them more. I don't know if those same people tried a healthier high carb diet before switching from a refined/processed high carb diet but I figure it is up to each person to tweak to their own preferences.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member

Regarding protein intake, that's quite dependent on training and body composition goals.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    I've been doing really well keeping under my calories using the MFP app (set to lose 2 pounds a week), and exercising every day except Sunday. I do 30 day shred 2 days, cardio 1 day, 30 Day Shred 2 more times, another day of cardio, then a rest day. I get 5 servings of veggies, and two servings of fruit a day. I'm drinking 8 glasses of water, and getting my sleep. Also keeping down the processed sugars.

I feel good, and I lost 2 pounds last week. I really hope to lose my spare tire, and the rest of my obviously visible body fat. MAYBE even show some sign of my abs :)

The thing is, I want to make sure I'm getting a good balance of carbs, protein, and fat. What's the best combination of the three? I hear a wide variety of the "best" ratio.

Thanks for any advice!

For starters, with the amount you have to lose 2lbs/week is much too aggressive and you risk losing a large % of lean muscle mass the larger your deficit is when you have less to lose.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

That said macros depend on preferences, goals, and if you have any issues (diabetic). To retain lean mass or gain muscle a higher protein diet is best, this usually requires a lower intake of carbs to hit your caloric goal. I am currently set at 40:30:30, carbs fat, protein, but typically get 40-45% carbs, 25-30% protein, 25-30% fat. I would consider this a balanced diet.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member

Why so low on the fats? What is the goal that this will help achieve?

I ask as fat is so important for digestive, skin, hair, nail, etc. health, and 20% should be seen as a minimum, higher if you are in a large caloric deficit. The rule of thumb that I used is a minimum fat intake of 0.35grams per pound of body weight. For me that works out to 22% of my intake, I usually hit 25-30%
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    I feel the more carbs I eat, the more bloated and "fat" I feel. When I lower carbs, my body feels more "tight" with that said, I love carbs and it's hard to restrict them. I'm going to try again in the next few days to jump back on that wagon. Ideally, I would like to be at 25c/40p/35f. I like getting my protein from shakes (NOT mlm products) and less from animals.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    I used to do the US diet standard (55 carb, 15 protein, 30 fat) but I just changed it to 50/20/30... The thing is, I didn't know ANYTHING about the glycemic index and how sugar affects metabolism of fat; so I was using my 55% carbs to eat high GI fruits and not low GI ones. The result? Plateau... Now at 50% carb I try to go 25% low GI fruit and 25% veggie. The result is less sugar in my blood stream, less insulin, and more fat being burned for fuel.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I keep changing mine so that they don't come up red too often. The red is annoying.
  • trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member

Thanks for any advice!

For starters, with the amount you have to lose 2lbs/week is much too aggressive and you risk losing a large % of lean muscle mass the larger your deficit is when you have less to lose.
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

That said macros depend on preferences, goals, and if you have any issues (diabetic). To retain lean mass or gain muscle a higher protein diet is best, this usually requires a lower intake of carbs to hit your caloric goal. I am currently set at 40:30:30, carbs fat, protein, but typically get 40-45% carbs, 25-30% protein, 25-30% fat. I would consider this a balanced diet.

This is super helpful. Never read/heard it before. I always assumed you shouldn't have a higher deficit because it's just harder to do, and it's only dangerous when you go over 2 lbs a week.

I think I'll switch to 1 lb a week.
  • FitGirl329
    FitGirl329 Posts: 103 Member
    I know that when I stay around the 40/30/30 range, I tend to feel fuller longer and more satisfied on the calories I have. I also pay attention to my fiber intake. I aim for 20-25g of fiber a day. This helps as well. When I regularly eat 50% carbs, no matter the ratio of proteins and fats in combination with it, I feel hungrier and less satisfied.
  • callianis
    callianis Posts: 1 Member
    Old thread I know, but this might be interesting for folk - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macro-math-3-keys-to-dialing-in-your-macro-ratios.html
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I used to do the US diet standard (55 carb, 15 protein, 30 fat) but I just changed it to 50/20/30... The thing is, I didn't know ANYTHING about the glycemic index and how sugar affects metabolism of fat; so I was using my 55% carbs to eat high GI fruits and not low GI ones. The result? Plateau... Now at 50% carb I try to go 25% low GI fruit and 25% veggie. The result is less sugar in my blood stream, less insulin, and more fat being burned for fuel.

I lost my 80 pounds with settings of 50/20/30 and completely ignoring the GI index, which is meaningless to any healthy person. It was developed for diabetics.