Misophonia.....hatred of sound

Options
2»

Replies

• ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I hate the sound of a thong makes when it's been wedged way up in there too long!!

Why do you leave your thongs wedged up there and who is doing the wedging?
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have this.well, I don't hate all sound, but certain sounds are hard to tolerate, and in general I prefer silence. And sometimes sound can feel physically painful. With me, it's about sensory processing, since I'm on the autism spectrum. But I imagine that some people might get it if they are not eating enough - that can cause extreme irritability at small things.
  • shannonj8489
    Options
    The noises make me sometimes feel nauseous ! I definitely get angry when people chew by me or breathe weirdly. I can't control how i feel! Lol

Especially the sound of people walking around when I'm trying to relax, ugh
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have a co-worker who coughs ALL. THE. TIME. Like she'll go on a jag several times an hour. Makes me homicidal. I pretty much wear headphones all the time when I'm at work. I also can't stand the sound of people chewing, breathing, or gulping (like drinking a soda).

By the way, your pug is super-adorable!
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I saw a show on this and thought it was ridiculous. A teenager girl threw the biggest tantrum I've ever seen because you mom sighed 'too loudly'. She flew off the handle, started screaming and slamming doors. Certain noises can get on my nerves but I don't become enraged over them.

I think that's difference between being normally annoyed or sensitive to sound and Misophonia, the people I saw on 20/20 with misophonia couldn't control anything, would cry, yell, hit, throw a tantrum, throw stuff around, etc. They live in isolation of other people most of the time to avoid crisis.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    You don't think perhaps you just get easily annoyed? :P
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I hate the sound of a thong makes when it's been wedged way up in there too long!!

Why do you leave your thongs wedged up there and who is doing the wedging?

I work out!:angry:
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    People who have misophonia are most commonly annoyed, or even enraged, by such ordinary sounds as other people eating, breathing, sniffing, or coughing; certain consonants; or repetitive sounds.People with misophonia may be diagnosed with mood or anxiety disorders as well as obsessive-compulsive disorder. Though a few sufferers are bothered by sounds they make themselves, most are not.

^^
    This is so me! Anyone else just get pissed off by the sound of chewing...bags rustling....snot sniffling....etc.?!?!

Mine is at a ridiculous level. I actually had a "no chanting zone" in my house when my kids were younger. want to chant? take it outside. don't NOT chant with in hearing distance of me! I would be in a straight jacket if either daughter was a cheerleader! It doesn't help. that I have ninja hearing. I can her their mouse whirring when they scroll down on their computer. My husband's breathing at night has kept me up for hours. Nose blowing? I'll talk fingernails and chalkboards! this annoys *me*! I will even turn off a song if it gets too repetitive. I pitches physically hurt, like the high pitch in titanic? Ugh.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I saw a show on this and thought it was ridiculous. A teenager girl threw the biggest tantrum I've ever seen because you mom sighed 'too loudly'. She flew off the handle, started screaming and slamming doors. Certain noises can get on my nerves but I don't become enraged over them.

I think that's difference between being normally annoyed or sensitive to sound and Misophonia, the people I saw on 20/20 with misophonia couldn't control anything, would cry, yell, hit, throw a tantrum, throw stuff around, etc. They live in isolation of other people most of the time to avoid crisis.

Exactly - I saw that episode as well, and it's a frightening disorder to those who have it and those who live with it. One of the cases had business partners, one of which got violent at the sound of the others voice, who had to do everything through notes and in separate rooms. Those of you who are saying, "That's me!" or "I have it" based on nothing but normal irriation at common annoyances should be grateful that you don't actually have this condition.
  • Felidae106
    Felidae106 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had misophonia since around the age of about 9 or 10 and over the years other trigger noises have begun to affect me other than the initial trigger which was the sound of my dad eating. He has always had bad asthma and cannot eat with his mouth closed as his nose is constantly blocked.

My parents could never understand why I hated being around certain people eating so much to the point where I'd cry and cover my ears or leave the room altogether if I could.
    I came across the term 'misophonia' in 2009 and it immediately clicked in to place, my reactions to certain sounds were never normal and others couldn't relate to my problems.

I had some cognitive behavioural therapy sessions in the beginning of this year which were a great help overall but obviously there is no outright cure. Generally my coping methods include using my mp3 player or soft-silicone earplugs. I also enjoy listening to brown or white noise if neither of those help and have an app on my phone from which I can listen to them if my commute home is particularly noisy and stressful.

My main trigger noises include:

Lip smacking
    Pen clicking
    Foot tapping
    Leaking headphone music (train commutes are a nightmare!)
    Mobile phone keypad tones
    Pipes which make a knocking sound
    Bassy music from an uncontrollable source such as a nearby party or cars with subwoofers
    Low electrical hums

The extent to which these sounds affect me are greatly influenced by how tired or stressed out I'm feeling, the more I feel stressed the worse the sounds get to me.

Many people are irritated by particular sounds (nails on a chalkboard etc) but if those sounds don't make you feel angry to the point of wanting to lash out, cry and run away it's unlikely you have misophonia and just find the sound a bit annoying.
    When you have misophonia you absolutely cannot just ignore the sound, it becomes the only thing you can hear and the only thing you can focus on and nothing will make it feel better until it stops or you are able to get away from it.

It's a very irrational response and I have no qualms about admitting that it does sound completely absurd, it totally is and many days I've cried and wished I didn't react this way and hated my body for doing so, days where I've wished I were deaf so I wouldn't have to deal with it any more. But yet, some days are better than others and as long as you're prepared and know you can cope with the situation in some way you can get through the day.

Hope that helps to give more of an insight in to what it's really like!
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call mines a full blown phobia, but I get quite miffed whenever my brother eats something. Seriously, he smacks on food like he's a effin' monkey! It's gross sounding and shows a lack of table manners/home training. Something about him slurping milk and then smacking on a bowl of cereal especially pisses me off. Who the **** opens their mouth like that to enjoy cereal?!

What's worse is that I thought he'd had some class about him when it came to publicly eating, but I've been to a restaurant with him in public and have seen him smacking on a piece of meat---LOUDLY and it almost caused me to go ballistic (Possibly more so because people were starting to stare). :angry:

Rant-fest ovah!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I've had misophonia since around the age of about 9 or 10 and over the years other trigger noises have begun to affect me other than the initial trigger which was the sound of my dad eating. He has always had bad asthma and cannot eat with his mouth closed as his nose is constantly blocked.

My parents could never understand why I hated being around certain people eating so much to the point where I'd cry and cover my ears or leave the room altogether if I could.
    I came across the term 'misophonia' in 2009 and it immediately clicked in to place, my reactions to certain sounds were never normal and others couldn't relate to my problems.

I had some cognitive behavioural therapy sessions in the beginning of this year which were a great help overall but obviously there is no outright cure. Generally my coping methods include using my mp3 player or soft-silicone earplugs. I also enjoy listening to brown or white noise if neither of those help and have an app on my phone from which I can listen to them if my commute home is particularly noisy and stressful.

My main trigger noises include:

Lip smacking
    Pen clicking
    Foot tapping
    Leaking headphone music (train commutes are a nightmare!)
    Mobile phone keypad tones
    Pipes which make a knocking sound
    Bassy music from an uncontrollable source such as a nearby party or cars with subwoofers
    Low electrical hums

The extent to which these sounds affect me are greatly influenced by how tired or stressed out I'm feeling, the more I feel stressed the worse the sounds get to me.

Many people are irritated by particular sounds (nails on a chalkboard etc) but if those sounds don't make you feel angry to the point of wanting to lash out, cry and run away it's unlikely you have misophonia and just find the sound a bit annoying.
    When you have misophonia you absolutely cannot just ignore the sound, it becomes the only thing you can hear and the only thing you can focus on and nothing will make it feel better until it stops or you are able to get away from it.

It's a very irrational response and I have no qualms about admitting that it does sound completely absurd, it totally is and many days I've cried and wished I didn't react this way and hated my body for doing so, days where I've wished I were deaf so I wouldn't have to deal with it any more. But yet, some days are better than others and as long as you're prepared and know you can cope with the situation in some way you can get through the day.

Hope that helps to give more of an insight in to what it's really like!

Have you found anything to help with this?

Mine is very intense. I have to plug my ears if I'm eating around people and have thrown fits about people making certain noises/being around those noises. I've full on cried on the train (alone) because there was so much chewing and coughing going on around me.

I'm going to the doctor in a while so I can talk about possibly getting put on something for my anxiety - I have panic attacks pretty frequently.I feel like that might help the sound issue as well. Hopefully.
  • Felidae106
    Felidae106 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Have you found anything to help with this?

Mine is very intense. I have to plug my ears if I'm eating around people and have thrown fits about people making certain noises/being around those noises. I've full on cried on the train (alone) because there was so much chewing and coughing going on around me.

I'm going to the doctor in a while so I can talk about possibly getting put on something for my anxiety - I have panic attacks pretty frequently.I feel like that might help the sound issue as well. Hopefully.

As I mentioned the CBT sessions did help a little, they focused mainly on methods of relaxation such as breathing techniques and meditation. The breathing techniques were pretty good, one method was to take in a slow, deep breath for 4 - 5 seconds whilst clenching your hands in to fists, then you breathe out as slowly as you can again for 4 - 5 seconds but this time unclenching the hands and repeat this and try to do so while focusing on yourself and switching the focus from the sound to your breathing. Something like this would probably be quite helpful with your anxiety too, I've had panic attacks in the past and they're really horrible and the breathing control is important.

I've found the soft silicone earplugs to be very helpful, I have long hair which I always wear down which helps to conceal them, they're soft and mould in to the shape of your ear canal. In situations where I still have to hear what's going on around me I find that I can push them in to my ear and then move the plug slightly so that some sound can still be heard but for the most part a lot of sound is blocked out.

White noise is good to listen to as it can help you feel calm and focused. I personally prefer brown noise as it's a little deeper and reminds me of the sound of waves crashing on a beach. I use this website sometimes at work: http://playnoise.com/

I also struggle a lot with travelling as there are always people making sounds that affect me such as the headphone and keypad tone noise, I'm lucky that my fiancé is very understanding so doesn't mind if I listen to my mp3 player to block out sounds, I can usually have music at a volume where I can still hear and talk to him but block out the tinny headphone noise of others.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I get annoyed by various sounds like the examples given, but don't most people? Being annoyed is different than the people who throw fits from noise.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I broke up with a perfectly nice guy once because he chewed so loudly. I wanted to reach across the table and punch him every time we shared a meal.
  • LadyIvysMom
    LadyIvysMom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I generally want to slap people who smack gum, chew with their mouths open, clear their throat every five seconds, sniffle constantly and breathe through their mouth.
    I broke up with a perfectly nice guy once because he chewed so loudly.

I walked out on a date once because the guy was chewing his food so loud & I've broken up with guys who smacked gum.

I'm also autistic though, which is the explanation my dr. gives as to why I get so incredibly annoyed by these things.