Dead lifts!

Options
Ok, I'm convinced. All of you dead lifting ladies look fabulous! I want to start dead lifting. I already have the materials. What's a good way to start? How heavy should I start off? Anything I should be particularly careful about? Do any of you have some useful links? I can always google it, but I'd rather use a tried and true source rather than just picking one and hoping it works.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm convinced. All of you dead lifting ladies look fabulous! I want to start dead lifting. I already have the materials. What's a good way to start? How heavy should I start off? Anything I should be particularly careful about? Do any of you have some useful links? I can always google it, but I'd rather use a tried and true source rather than just picking one and hoping it works.

Thanks in advance!

Start light.....maybe the bar or the bar + 10lbs/ side. You can use a box to get it slightly off the floor. Really focus on your form. Maybe have someone tape you. Keep the bar close to your shins......really close.....if they don't touch it's not close enough. Keep your lower back straight or slightly arched. Keep your head neutral....grip just outside of your legs.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Buy lifting gloves, the bar blisters my hands when I forget to wear them!
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Some one will figure me out soon, this is the third time i've posted this link today: startingstrength.com and buy the book/dvd and watch the videos on youtube. They have a great community there where people know there stuff.

Deadlifts bring out the beast in you, and it feels amazing every time you slap more weight on the bar. /flex
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Start light.....maybe the bar or the bar + 10lbs/ side. You can use a box to get it slightly off the floor. Really focus on your form. Maybe have someone tape you. Keep the bar close to your shins......really close.....if they don't touch it's not close enough. Keep your lower back straight or slightly arched. Keep your head neutral....grip just outside of your legs.
    [/quote]

Good starting points
  • kassiebby1124
    kassiebby1124 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    :3 I'm starting deadlifting tomorrow. I found this site REALLY helpful.
    http://www.stumptuous.com/dork-diva-deadlift-and-stiff-legged-deadlift
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Start with the bar and training plates. A person without injury or disability should be able to deadlift 65lbs without trouble.
    Make sure you get your form down. Back straight and consistent. I'ts important to know when to break on the way down too.

Youtube is your friend.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    My best advice is, for the love of God, keep you chest up and back flat/slightly arched. I'm a deadlifting machine these days, but back when I was starting out I didn't realize that I was rounding my back a little and I ended up herniating a disc. I'm very lucky that it healed itself after several months of diligent (self-enforced and self-prescribed) physical therapy. Don't do that to yourself! DON'T ROUND YOUR BACK!

Now that I've scared you, I will say that deadlifts are the best exercise I do, and I love them (almost as much as I love squatting ... but I don't think a love of squats is all that common). Go be a beast! Start light and get the form right, and then keep adding the weight on.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I LOVE dead lifting!
    I agree with with above posters about starting light. When the last rep is no longer a struggle, add more.
    I'm at the point now where I need straps. The weight isn't heavy but I don't have a good grip, my gloves slip.
    I LOVE when I'm getting set up for my dead lifts and some guy asks me, "Are you using this area?" "Why, yes I am!" Talk about an empowering feeling ;)
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Definitely start off light. Correct form is hard to get down.

I suggest watching a LOT of videos. Those will help more than words.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    A lot of folks mistake these for toe touches because the motion looks kind of like that. But if you try to reach down that far with weights, you'll likely feel it in your lower back - and not in a good way. Keep your abs tight and your back straight and bend at the hips, not the waist. Remind yourself, the hips are a joint, the waist is not. Also try locking your shoulders in place as to avoid the temptation of rounding your back as you go down. If you can, have someone watch you to make sure you're doing it right.

Good luck!

P.S. Go slow, this will help you concentrate on your form.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    you can also video yourself doing lifts and post to the Workouts or Exercises subforums at the bodybuilding.com forums and people will tell you what if anything you need to correct
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    I have a question. If I start deadlifting, does it cancel out the need to do other muscle toning techniques or should I still do those, too?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I have a question. If I start deadlifting, does it cancel out the need to do other muscle toning techniques or should I still do those, too?

You should do, at a minimum:
    Deadlift
    Full barbell squats
    Overhead Press
    Bench Press
    Pull Ups/Chin ups
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Deadlift
    Full barbell squats
    Overhead Press
    Bench Press
    Pull Ups/Chin ups
    Chin ups are so hard D: But now I have to figure out how to do a bench press with a bar. Too google! I'd ask the workers at the gym...but I'm too afraid to. I don't wanna be looked down upon ):
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Deadlift
    Full barbell squats
    Overhead Press
    Bench Press
    Pull Ups/Chin ups

I agree minus the pull ups chin ups
    you might not be able to do them yet.
    those 4 will cover the basics

Deadlift
    Full barbell squats
    Overhead Press
    Bench Press
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Chest up, hips down, drive back and through your heels. The driving back part matters more when you are lifting much more than body weight, but it's good to think about.

Do not look up, spine should be neutral. You should have bruises on your shins. If you don't the bar is coming out too far and you are more likely to round your back.

There is a lot to think about, but it's important.

Gloves are not mandatory. I don't wear them and I DL 200#.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

Deadlift
    Full barbell squats
    Overhead Press
    Bench Press
    Pull Ups/Chin ups

I agree minus the pull ups chin ups
    you might not be able to do them yet.
    those 4 will cover the basics

I disagree. You should be working on pull ups even if, (or especially!) you cannot do them. How will you get there? There are techniques, (pull up bands, negatives) that help with pull ups if you cannot yet do one.
  • kassiebby1124
    Options
    Is it okay to use the pull up machine? Because I fell off of that once..
  • PJP19
    PJP19 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow... I never knew so much went into a dead lift - thanks for the pointers...tomorrow is leg day and I can't wait :)
  • SteAnnMui
    SteAnnMui Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm another fan of dead lifts! Great exercise.

Before I did them, I practiced my form at home in front of a mirror and I used a broom! I also watched videos on the correct form and concentrated on how my body felt during the movement.