What meal do you buy when you have to eat out?

Options
Wednesday I'll have to pick up something to eat cause I will not be home and I am already dreading the thought. I normally do subway but I have noticed that I always choose the wrong sandwich (sodium too high). Any suggestions?

Replies

• babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If its fast food...I go to Taco Bell and order off there fresco style menu. If its a sit down restraunt, I stick with the salads and have my dressing put on the side.

Good luck. :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Are you not able to pack something that you can eat instead of being forced to eat out?

If forced, my go to would be the Asian Chicken salad from Togo's. It's around 200 cal, 400 sodium, and a good amount of protein.

If Subway is your option, stick to the oven roasted chicken breast and load it up with veggies but skip the cheese and sauces. That's the lowest sodium meat option.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    As you said subway. I normally get a salad with every one of the salads, double sweet onion chicken terikyaki meat & chilli sauce.

I give no fark for sodium :tongue:
  • Lumett
    Lumett Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If it's just a random meal out with my girlfriend or something like maybe once a week I don't care I eat what the hell I like, usually a big massive 10oz burger with onion rings, cheese bacon and barbecue sauce, it's like a once off once a week so who cares lol, what's the point in all this healthy eating and exercise and stuff if you can't allow yourself to stuff your face once in a while :D

If it's a one off pal don't worry about it :)
  • AdGalicia
    AdGalicia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I plan on picking up something fast foody, so we'll see but I might have time for a sit down restaurant too...idk
    I'm just worried. I'd like to see results weekly and I think everything matters...
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Chipotle burrito bol with:

Double chicken, white rice, black beans, lettuce, cheese, hot salsa.

Approx macros:
    Calories 795 Sodium 0 mg
    Total Fat 26 g Potassium 0 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 60 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 0 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 84 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Wendy's Baconator
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If picking up fast food I ususally go for a veggie sub on wheat with light mayo at Subways. Pack on the veggies!!

If I am not too hungry and want a change I sometimes get a side salad w/light dressing at Wendy's with a 5 piece chicken nuggets, no sauce.

With either meal I just drink water.

If you have time to sit down then go someplace and get a nice salad, I like to do that if I can. Especially with it still warm enough to get salads with berries in them, yum!
  • DaNae9402
    DaNae9402 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Taco Bell has some good options as mentioned before. Many places offer Grilled Chicken Sandwiches and salads. Wendy's and Chick-Fil-A have good options too. You can make Japanese work with vegetables and chicken or shrimp if you have a drive thru one like we do.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    last time we had a sit down meal I had a mixed fajita and at lots and lots of salsa and vegies on one tortilla :) I love peppers and onioins ayway

I go to McDs and order their southwest salad.

I get a turkey pesto wrap at FAzolis. TRy to eat about 1/2 and take 1/2 home.

turkey and ham on honey oat at subway no cheese, no mayo.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Something chicken. usually.....feel free to look at my diary for examples....There are lots.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I usually do a veggie delite from Subway. I have not really noticed the sodium, but I don't worry a great deal about sodium since I very rarely eat processed foods and my sodium is always under my limit. I will also sometimes do Taco Bell, either a Cantina Bowl, or fresco tostadas. Or anywhere that I can get a salad, though I don't eat meat so it is hard to find a quick to go salad that does not have meat.
  • goodeater24
    goodeater24 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can get a salad with protein at Subways. It's a pretty good size. For fast food - carls jr. and in-and-out burger have burgers that come wrapped in lettuce. Also, most markets sell cooked chicken breasts in their deli section. Just check the ingredients. Some markets have salad bars that include different kinds of protein.

At a sit down, I almost always order a salad with chicken or turkey, or an omlette.
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I steer clear of fast food. When I am taking college night classes, I will usually just bring dinner with me and eat it on my break.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    If I'm going Mexican I get chicken fajita's fixed with no oil and tell them to keep the tortillas and ask for extra pico de gallo! If it's seafood I either do shrimp or tuna (if it's available). I don't do fast foods but if I had to I would choose Subway and do the veggie sandwich. My husband and I eat lunch out every week day (he refuses to pack a lunch) and I have found that I make much smarter choices than I used to . Salads are always great...lots of veggies and you can add chicken/shrimp for protein! And of course the dressing on the side...only dipping my fork in it. Good luck.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm also wondering if maybe you could pack something instead of buying. Put together a sandwich with some fruit and veggies and you'll probably save yourself some calories and tons of sodium.

If not - my usual go to is Subway as well. I usually get a turkey sub with pepperjack cheese, no dressing and most of the veggies.

If you have Panera nearby, they have some awesome salads. I had their Thai Chicken a couple of weeks ago and it was yummy and very filling.
  • giantangryrobot
    giantangryrobot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get a burrito bowl at Chipotle - no tortilla, black beans, rice, salsa, lettuce, roasted veggies, and depending on how I'm doing on calories for the day, maybe a bit of sour cream. I tend to eat vegetarian but a bit of meat probably wouldn't hurt.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If I'm out I always look for a chicken salad of some sort. I love the ones with walnuts and apples. Dressing on the side of course.

Also I'm a big fan of the Subway Veggie Delight. I mix up my own tuna with light mayo, keep it on ice and add that for protein since I'm not a huge fan of theirs.

Grilled chicken sandwiches are a good bet too without the sauces.

Now I'm starving...haha :tongue:
  • TheCrimsonCountess
    Options
    If I'm going to an actual restaurant I usually order whatever I want, since thats once a once or twice a month thing. If I'm picking up something fast on the way home, I like to stop at the grocery store and pick up a ready-made rotisserie chicken. Just as fast as fast food.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I try to go Chipotle if possible, otherwise it depends on the restaurant.