Protein Powder

Options
Hey everyone, so a lotta people are majorly protein obsessed on here and it's made me realize I'm not really getting enough (I'm set at 50/30/20 for carb/protein/fat, but I neverrr make my protein goal)...problem is, I live in China and you can't get protein powder here, which would have been the most practical way for me to up my protein intake. I'm moving to the US to start college next week so will suddenly have access to a wholeeee bunch of stuff I've never been able to get before though, including protein powder.

So, I'd be superrr grateful if someone could just like explain the different types and what to do with it and where to get it and all that?

Thanks a lot in advance! Also, if there are any other sources of low cal protein that I can look into once I get to america, it'd be great to know about that too :)

Replies

• zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    help?
  • zozzabubba
    Options
    There are so many out there that it is not something easily tackled in a simple message board.

I will speak to the one I use only...

I use ViSalus. It is a meal replacement or muscle building protein shake. The powder can be used to make a shake or added to food. I make pancakes and waffles with it, for example.

You can see more about it at www.overview.visalus.com.

If you would like me to send you some sample packets I would be happy to do so when you get to the states. Just let me know.

If you go to GNC when you arrive to the states, they can help you. Or, you can go to Whole Foods. Neither carry ViSalus, but they carry a whole lot of other stuff...

Happy Hunting,
    Stacey

oh thank youu! i will look into it :)
  • Briski1411
    Briski1411 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Start off by visiting WWW.bodybuilding.com they have a ton of great information to help educate you. If you go to GNC most of the time they have very knowledgable and helpful staff, but beware because GNC is very expensive.

WHEY protein is what most ppl use but they do have other types. They have meal replacement proteins, protein you take before bed, protein you take before and after your work outs.

This is a big subject it is in your best interest to start doing some reading on it, and yes protein is wonderful. You definetly need to incorporate it into your diet..

Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • TahoeHealthGuy
    Options
    Protein Powder is just basically used if you lift weights or do a lot of exercise and you are looking to build muscle. you take it after your workout so it goes straight to the muscles that you have damaged and helps repair them faster and stronger. It can also be used to put on weight if taken after meals and in the morning as its just like eating meat or eggs etc.I use it as i want to build muscle and mass after all my hard work at the gym so depending on what you are looking for either losing weight or putting weight on depends if you should take it as it will not help you lose weight at all. If you are taking it with meals as you are supposed to then make sure you work hard to burn it as it will put weight on you and not muscle if you are not working hard enough. Any brand is ok for women they all do the same just some are better quality then others whey protein powder is the best and is pure with no additives so i would highly recommend that and you can get it quite cheap on the internet or good health stores(internet better).
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Whey (from milk) or soy protein are the most common varieties. I have read that whey protein is better post workout than pre, because it can lead to the production of more lactic acid in muscles.

Personally, I have a soy-based protein every day in a fruit smoothie. I use Nature's Life Soy Protein - Super-Green Pro-96. It is pretty good and with the peanut butter and soy milk that I include in my smoothie, I hit around 75 grams of protein.

Good luck and welcome to the US!
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Start off by visiting WWW.bodybuilding.com they have a ton of great information to help educate you. If you go to GNC most of the time they have very knowledgable and helpful staff, but beware because GNC is very expensive.

WHEY protein is what most ppl use but they do have other types. They have meal replacement proteins, protein you take before bed, protein you take before and after your work outs.

This is a big subject it is in your best interest to start doing some reading on it, and yes protein is wonderful. You definetly need to incorporate it into your diet..

Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:

This.

I use Isopure. 220 cals, 50g protein, and 50% of your daily vitamin and mineral intake. Bought it on bodybuilding.com.
  • zozzabubba
    Options
    Protein Powder is just basically used if you lift weights or do a lot of exercise and you are looking to build muscle. you take it after your workout so it goes straight to the muscles that you have damaged and helps repair them faster and stronger. It can also be used to put on weight if taken after meals and in the morning as its just like eating meat or eggs etc.I use it as i want to build muscle and mass after all my hard work at the gym so depending on what you are looking for either losing weight or putting weight on depends if you should take it as it will not help you lose weight at all. If you are taking it with meals as you are supposed to then make sure you work hard to burn it as it will put weight on you and not muscle if you are not working hard enough. Any brand is ok for women they all do the same just some are better quality then others whey protein powder is the best and is pure with no additives so i would highly recommend that and you can get it quite cheap on the internet or good health stores(internet better).

I'm pretty much at maintenance now, just a little way off, and I'll be looking to tone up, so therefore build lean muscle mass...I was thinking I'd do the whole recovery shake after lifting thing? at the moment, because I want to repair my muscles after lifting, i have a mini meal/snack after a workout, but i think a protein shake would be better because it'd be a lot more protein for the cals, for the specific purpose of muscle repair and so that throughout the rest of the day i can de-stress a bit about making my protein goals (if i had my way, i'd eat fruit and only fruit). so i'd be looking into protein powder that i can make into a bearably nice-tasting shake
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    protein is NOT just for taking after you workout or if you lift weights. also it does not just go straight to your muscles and feed them after a workout that's a myth it would be overall intake throughout the day. your muscles will grow whether you take a PWO shake or not if you are hitting your daily nutrient goals. if you aren't consistently hitting your daily protein intake then a shake would be a good idea
  • Eagles802051
    Eagles802051 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    protein is NOT just for taking after you workout or if you lift weights. also it does not just go straight to your muscles and feed them after a workout that's a myth it would be overall intake throughout the day. your muscles will grow whether you take a PWO shake or not if you are hitting your daily nutrient goals. if you aren't consistently hitting your daily protein intake then a shake would be a good idea
    Exactly. Your main source of protein should be from whole foods and a protein shake should be used to help hit your protein goal for the day, Theres nothing magic about protein power but it is definitely a good thing to use. Bodybuilding.com and fitrx.com are 2 great reliable webites. GNC charges 2x-3x as much as these places