What is High Glycemic Index Exactly? Menu Examples?

Options
Hi! I was reading some other posts today and came across this. I've heard of it before and kinda know what it means, but wondered if some of you could explain it better. Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    The glycemic index has to do with how quickly the body turns food into energy. For instance, sugar and carbs are turned into energy very quickly and is therefore high on the glycemic index. Protein and fat takes much longer for the body to convert into energy, and is low on the glycemic index.

If you are eating foods that are high on the glycemic index and not expending much energy, the body will store that energy as fat. That is why low carb diets work well for people who aren't very active.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The glycemic index has to do with how quickly the body turns food into energy. For instance, sugar and carbs are turned into energy very quickly and is therefore high on the glycemic index. Protein and fat takes much longer for the body to convert into energy, and is low on the glycemic index.

If you are eating foods that are high on the glycemic index and not expending much energy, the body will store that energy as fat. That is why low carb diets work well for people who aren't very active.
    Right. And some folks (ME) feel that lower glycemic foods foods make us feel full longer, and lead to less "binging" or over eating. (I don't crash and freak and then eat junk)
    Whole grains are often lower than "the whites".
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Ah, OK. So, that must be why my doctor tells me that I should have complex carb with protein since my activity level is only "moderate".
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ah, OK. So, that must be why my doctor tells me that I should have complex carb with protein since my activity level is only "moderate".
    If I had to guess...I would say that what your doctor is saying is: get more protein, and choose complex (not simple) carbs.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    And, they have a website with the complete list of foods that are categorized by low, medium and high glycemic indexes.

A Dermatologist that I once worked for often advised patients that for every high GI food you have, you need two low GI's to counter balance it if you cant control your food choices right away.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Do a search on DNL in humans
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I keep this on my fridge just for reference to try and stick with lower GL foods when I can

http://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/List_of_Glycemic_Foods_Index_of_Healthy_Foods.shtml#veggies

you can also check the exact values from here
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Oh, lots of great information to look into! Thanks! :happy: