Tapout XT

Options
So I'm about to wrap up my 3rd round of p90x. I've also completed a round of p90x2. A co-worker of mine was telling me about doing tapout workouts. I googled it and checked out the info on it and it has my attention. Anyone out there doing this workout have any pros or cons on it? I like how it has strength and cardio mixx like p90x-want to maintain the muscle I've gained. Just looking for some input on going on to this workout from p90x. Thanks!!

Replies

• ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So I'm about to wrap up my 3rd round of p90x. I've also completed a round of p90x2. A co-worker of mine was telling me about doing tapout workouts. I googled it and checked out the info on it and it has my attention. Anyone out there doing this workout have any pros or cons on it? I like how it has strength and cardio mixx like p90x-want to maintain the muscle I've gained. Just looking for some input on going on to this workout from p90x. Thanks!!

You mean those MMA style workouts? I know a few people who actually do them, mostly females. Focus a lot on striking, and has al to of similarities about p90x.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Bumping this..
  • Cindy219
    Cindy219 Posts: 21
    Options
    Bump!!
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    seriously??? anyone have any info on this pleeeeez :)
  • follmer20
    follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    On my 2nd week. I've started over about 2 times as I was not going consistently every day. I've been following it ever day for the past week and a half. I love it. It's rough at first. I do push ups on my knees still and skip plyos bc it hurts my knees. I have seen results already just this first week. Try it! It's fun and I just wanna keep pushing myself during the workouts!
  • alyssa92982
    Options
    Thanks for the input! :)
  • zoon_ii
    zoon_ii Posts: 2
    Options
    I am reposting this because I have found 0 negative reviews about xt, which is interesting. there must be a team that is very aggressive in their web marketing to push only positive reviews up and bury negative. if there isn't a balanced mix, then that should be the first signal that there's something wrong here:

I would not recommend tapout xt at all.

My wife and I have finished P90X and Insanity.

We bought xt to try something different, and were excited and intrigued by the MMA twist to it.

Let us tell you to start, you'll know this guy, Mike, behaves as though he is not a certified personal trainer. He doesn't use correct anatomical terminology.

I would highly recommend you compare the workout titles of xt to p90x and notice the obvious similarities in the title names. particularly with plyo, yoga, and the different martial arts programs. I'm not saying that the martial arts aspect is a copy, but lets face it, p90x was first, and this is an imitation that pales in comparison.

the warmups and stretches are really a joke. you perform movements for stretches so quickly that one with some degree of history with physical education would call out the move as bogus on the spot. he really runs through the whole aspect of stretching.

the actual workouts, while intense, are insanely hard to follow. if you bought the program, you would be better off one weekend to just sit and WATCH, not perform, just watch the workouts. there is no instruction time. there is no example of how to modify the movements for those that are either not in great shape, or have a physical limitation.

Let's also emphasize that while variety is great, the speed at which you blast through the different movements is ridiculous. Like I said, it's hard to follow, and a lot of the time, the movements mike demonstrates for you to do can sometimes be a pathway to injury. There were many times that I decided to not follow through a movement because of the undue strain on a shoulder or knee joint. The workouts appear to be made up by someone who doesn't know proper body mechanics or basic kinesiology.

I would like to make one direct comparison: Yoga.

p90x has, albeit long, a great yoga workout. it's rhythmic, it's instructional, and the terminology for the poses are correct. it also incorporates some of the meditative aspects, which is important to what yoga is about. breathing, focus, etc. after you're finished with p90x yoga, you feel refreshed, good and lifted.

xt: there is no rhythmic instruction. it's planking, and up and downward dog a majority of the time. and FAST too. there is no instruction on the proper time to inhale or exhale, which is a critical aspect of yoga.

let me just say this in closing. i don't know mike, but the dude acts like he's coked out of his mind while he going through these workouts. he may be really really lean and in shape, but personally, as someone who appreciates a good MOTIVATOR and INSTRUCTOR such as tony or shaun t, mike pales miserably in comparison. he simply is not a motivator. I didn't feel motivated at all during the workouts.

insanity was....insane. i hated the intensity, but i finished them nonetheless because i was motivated. plus the movements didn't make me feel as though I would injure myself.

tapout xt will be returned for a full refund very soon. it's a polished ripoff of very successful workout programs. but if you have any semblance of critical thinking, you'll recognize this quickly when you open the box. i would also recommend you take a look at the fact that 90x2 was released late 2011, and xt was released mid this year. there movements performed in each are IDENTICAL. after finishing the plyo xt workout, i was surfing some demo videos for 90x2, and the the movements for "explode and pound the ground" were the same. i felt ripped off. i felt some shock because, like i said, the movements are the same. now, i realize the body can only move in so many ways, and it takes some creativity to create entirely new workouts, but come on. really? exact duplication? let me also point out that i would feel safer from following the 90x2 program, and i haven't tried it yet, because i know from the original 90x program, there is proper instruction about not only how to perform the movements, but how to NOT perform the movement to avoid injury.

not only that, but the nutrition plan is abhorrent. there's a 10 day slim down guide that basically gives you 2 meals/day. that's a starvation diet, and no duh, you will lose weight on it, but also start to shred your own muscle tissue to maintain blood sugar levels and produce the energy you need to complete your day to day routines + the workouts. it's ignorant, and isn't a recommended way to lose weight. think hollywood fad.

so, xt....it's intense, but not scientifically sound. it's very possible i would say to injury yourself on this plan.

but if you insist on trying something different, by all means, try. it's does have the 90 day money back guarantee. but don't forget that I said, "Look out, it's a polished rip-off."
  • alyssa92982
    Options
    Very good info-thank u! I did read online that he is hard to follow with moves and goes quick so its hard at 1st to figure out what your doing. After reading your review I think I will do x2 another round instead.
  • deadeye37
    Options
    This thread is old, but I'll still throw in my 2¢ since I've done P90X twice, Insanity twice, and Tapout XT 1.5 times.

Tapout XT is a great all round exercise program. It's cardio isn't as good as Insanity, and the muscle building isn't as good as P90X. However, The muscle building is much better than Insanity, and the cardio is better than P90X.

Here is what I really liked about Tapout XT: It hits the core hard! By far, it is the best workout set that I've tried that hits the core. I feel so much stronger in my core after 1 round of Tapout XT than I ever did after P90X or Insanity.

Now, I said that I did Tapout XT 1.5 times. The .5 times is because I did it as a hybrid with Insanity. Those 2 programs were made to be done as a Hybrid program. Here is what I did:

Week 1-4
    M - Insanity Plyo Circuit
    T - One of the core workouts from Tapout XT (Competition Core, Cross Core Combat, Sprawl & Brawl)
    W - Insanity Cardio Power
    Th - Tapout Strength & Force Upper or Ripped Conditioning + an ab routine (Ultimate Abs, Cardio Abs, Ab Ripper X, etc)
    F - Insanity Cardio Circuit or Tapout Cardio XT
    S - easy workout of my choice (cardio recovery, Muay Thai, Yoga, etc)
    Su - rest

Week 5
    Recover week with easy workouts

Week 6-10
    Same as week 1-4, but with amped up Insanity workouts.

Now there's Tapout XT2, which I really want to get. I'm also planning on doing P90X2.