Your thoughts on the Body Bugg?

Options
The Body Bugg is on sale for $99 and I'm seriously considering buying one....who has used one? What are your thoughts? Is it worth the investment? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    my only thought is I would hate to have to pay a monthly subscription to be able to use the device. Lots of people have them and love them.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It's a way to estimate calories burned. You've lost 28 pounds, so I'd say your estimation skills aren't too shabby as it is. :)

But it's only $100. If you want a shiny new toy, who am I to say no? ;)
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    The fitbit thing looks like a better deal ~ and it's website tracker is free.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Go with fit bit. Or just buy a HRM. Don't pay any more than necessary to lose weight. It's not required.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I have one. It seems to be accurate for me. Fun tool. Motivated me to get up and move occasionally at work. Doesn't make you magically eat less than you burn though... I got tired of wearing it. It looks weird, people ask about it all the time, I got a tan line, etc. I stopped wearing it a few weeks ago.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I really love mine. I'm a data person -- I appreciate the readouts it gives me and that I can run reports on calories eaten, burned, steps taken, hours of sleep, physical activity, etc. over a period of time. I wear mine all the time.

As to Rae's point -- you will get asked about it all the time. Some inappropriate people will make heroine jokes (a strap on your arm ... get it??). And I totally have a tan line.

Also -- if you bike a lot, you may not want to bother. It's very bad at recording calories burned for biking (at least, stationary biking --- I never do any other kind).
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I've got a HRM that I use. I just feel like I'm either burning more then I think or I'm not burning nearly as much as I'm estimating.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    I used one for 2 years. Got tired of Apex's lack of responses to issues and for $10 a month, that's too much to pay for crappy service.
    But it is a great tool if you use it consistently.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the feedback! I really appreciate it!
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I love mine! Look for a $20 coupon - I got mine for $79. The website is free for the first 6 months. Worth it for me.
  • RedneckWmn
    Options
    Is it uncomfortable to wear? I've heard you could wear it on your leg also.
  • sirrah17
    sirrah17 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I wore mine on and off for about two years. At times, I found it really helpful, and at others it was just an annoyance.

Pros:
    ~motivating to see what little bursts of activity can do for your overall daily calorie burn
    ~easy to use
    ~newer versions sync to smart phones (which might eliminate the need for the digital display (see below), but I am not sure)
    ~good battery life

Cons:
    ~people do ask (not for me so much because I almost always wear sleeves to cover my extra large arms)
    ~the interface to track calories in and out is clunky at best
    ~I'd think the bugg is worthless without the digital display (which'll set ya back another $75 or so)
    ~it beeps without warning (most tones you can silence, but on occasion it'll beep for reasons beyond your control. that was an issue for me in some professional situations)

You might consider having your basal metabolic rate tested to get the same result. It'll tell you how many calories your body burns on a normal day. Most dieticians offer the service or can tell you where to have it done.

You might also try finding it used (maybe even new) cheaper on eBay or Craigslist (or buying mine). You can transfer the service -- not sure what all it entails, but I'd guess it's rather simple.
  • sirrah17
    sirrah17 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Comfort wasn't much of an issue for me. Maybe if I had a long day, I might find it irritating toward the end of the night, but it's easy enough to slip off if that's the case. I made it a point to keep my strap clean -- especially if I was working out a lot -- to avoid a build up of bacteria. May sound weird -- but I'd toss my strap in the dishwasher.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I had the Body Media Fit, which is basically the Body Bugg, and I have the FitBit. I made the mistake of lifting weights while wearing the BMF, and I ended up with an indention in my muscle due to the band.

That aside, I got tired of paying the monthly fee, and I decided to go back to the FitBit. I wore them both for a few days and compared the calorie burns and they were VERY close to each other. So I cancelled my subscription to Body Media, and I'm back to using the FitBit.
  • HeatherMN
    HeatherMN Posts: 3,821 Member
    Options
    I had the Body Media Fit, which is basically the Body Bugg, and I have the FitBit. I made the mistake of lifting weights while wearing the BMF, and I ended up with an indention in my muscle due to the band.

That aside, I got tired of paying the monthly fee, and I decided to go back to the FitBit. I wore them both for a few days and compared the calorie burns and they were VERY close to each other. So I cancelled my subscription to Body Media, and I'm back to using the FitBit.

^This answers one of the questions I had about the gadgets. Thanks!
  • RedneckWmn
    Options

^This answers one of the questions I had about the gadgets. Thanks!

I thought the FitBit was basically to count your steps since it is just attached to your clothes? Interesting. Now I'm so torn! The battery on my HRM is dying, got the notification this morning. I'm taking this as a sign I need to purchase something new and fresh. Just don't know what!
  • bltrexler
    bltrexler Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I bought one on groupon and wish I had saved my money for a polar FT60 HRM watch. There is a 7$ fee everymonth to use the service to download the data from the device. Plus its bulky and obvious. I feel it worked just fine but does not have HRM ability. I don't use mine anymore and plan to buy the HRM in the end.
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have the BB with the digital display. I like it as I am kind of a techno-geek and like to be able to see the data immediately throughout the day. I had the version that synched to the phone, but it would never work correctly with my HTC so they replaced it free of charge for me.

The subscription fee does suck, but I got mine for $7 a month. The food database sucks, that is why I use MFP.

I like it as long as you can afford the subscription.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I have one and got good info from it, and I like how much it motivated me (I ALWAYS take my dog on a longer evening walk, watching my steps add up). Came with a 6 month subscription and I doubt I'll want it beyond that (I'll already know what I burn by then). I got it for $79 using a link:

http://bodybugg.extole.com/a/clk/4l6MGq

You get a code from that link that you use as a coupon code on the site and it takes $20 off.

Edited to add: I learned that you can buy new 6 month subscriptions on eBay for only $19.99 - the feedback on them is nearly 100% so they definitely work. AND if you tuck the bodybugg into your bra strap you get info almost identical to wearing it on your arm :)