Biking excuse list

Options
I don't feel confident when a car approaches or when I have to use hand signals
I live on a big hill
I don't have a bike rack
I get stupid when it's time to grease a chain or pump up my tires

In short I'm fearful and generate excuses when I know I need to just get out and ride. I injured myself on a bike as a young person so this is part of my issue. How have others conquered their fear of biking and gained confidence? I would love to integrate riding into my cardio

Replies

• MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Just get out and do it. I recommend a mirror for your bike. I probably spend 35% of my saddle time looking behind me. Research the routes you want to ride for amount of traffic, best time of day, dogs, etc. Start out with short rides and continue to increase your distance each time out. Ride with traffic, and hold your line, do not swerve in and out of parked cars. ride so cars have to pass you. Here, in Illinois, if you are in the road, you are a vehicle and have all of the rights a car driver has, you just don't move as fast. Our laws say you must pass a bicycle and allow at least 3 feet of cushion. You will get used to riding with cars going by, but selecting lesser traveled routes is still a good idea.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Wendy,

I love to watch cycling on TV and will stick to spin classes. Don't trust drivers.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Do you live near a bike path/trail? Removing cars from the equation makes biking much less stressful.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    That comes with practice Wendy. Try riding roads that aren't busy to start.
    I live on a big hill
    Don't make me come down there to kick your a**. You're a runner. :wink:
    I don't have a bike rack
    If you can afford Vibrams you can afford a bike rack. :tongue:

That's what husbands are for. Plus once it;s done, you usually don't have to do it for awhile. I usually just degrease & lube my chain twice a year...for my road bike that is.

In short I'm fearful and generate excuses when I know I need to just get out and ride. I injured myself on a bike as a young person so this is part of my issue. How have others conquered their fear of biking and gained confidence? I would love to integrate riding into my cardio
    I can see that. Maybe find a big parking lot that has a vacant corner you can practice handling skills. Maybe setup a little obstacle course and just practice navigating said obstacles, stopping, starting, etc.

The great thing about riding is it's low impact and you get to cover so much ground. I recently restarted riding and within 2 weeks I'm up to 60 miles a week already without really feeling anything in my legs the next day after a long ride.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Do you live near a bike path/trail? Removing cars from the equation makes biking much less stressful.

This.

My boyfriend loves to cycle, but won't do it on the roads. Fortunately, we live right by a canal, so there's plenty of scope for him to get on the path and veer off on cycle tracks.
    He rode from North Wales to South Wales a couple of years ago and had to do some of that on roads - said he hated it, especially because drivers are very inconsiderate of cyclists. That's true, I get impatient being stuck behind a cyclist and am also terrified that I'm going to hurt someone if they do something unexpected.
    If you don't have any cycle tracks nearby, maybe try sticking to roads with low speed limits or where there isn't much traffic.

Personally, I don't cycle because I can't. Never mastered it as a child and still couldn't as an adult. I love it on an exercise bike, though, I'd spend ages on there at the gym, pretending I was cycling through lovely countryside or finishing the Tour de France.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My bike is set up on a trainer in my living room. I cycle to training DVD's or netflix movies. I don't feel safe out on our roads so would rather not get hit by a car. Which is funny, running I feel very safe. Biking, not a bit. The school bus hit my son last year and moments later a car pulled out of her driveway and him him again. Won't go out there.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I've been riding a bike since I was 4-do you know how many scars I still have from falling off of my bike as a child?!! Just jump back on, like others have said, get a mirror, and find quiet roads and streets. I bike nearly every day, and have found some beautiful quiet routes here in NH. It's a wonderful way to torch some calories and enjoying the sites. Good Luck!
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Mountain bike. :) Don't have to battle cars.

Or a trainer.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I live on a big hill
    I don't have a bike rack

One of my fears is getting a puncture, dunno why, it just is lol.

Regarding pumping up the tyres, just unscrew the dustcap thingy and screw in the pump, do it secretly as a practice run when nobody is about.

Cycling in the road is another matter, I refuse to cycle on busy roads and as for going round busy roundabouts, forget it, I go on the pavement and cross that way, I have done exactly the same when I want to turn into the traffic at traffic lights too.

Cycling on the whole is terrific fun and good exercise though, don't let your fears prevent you from having a go. Is there no quiet roads or tracks you can cycle around for a while until you get used to it?
  • Starla_86
    Options
    Okay well I had the most horrible traumatic experience on a bike when I was 7, I fell over the handle bars going down a hill and really grazed and injured my body.
    I'm now 26 and got on a bike for the first time 1 month ago, I was initially very scared and didn't think I could do it. One day I was by myself and thought 'hell yeah I can do this!'...got on and started riding, it was fantastic.
    Bike riding is so rewarding, exercise-wise and also to get from A - B. No more buses! :)
  • jodiegauv91
    Options
    Just do it a few times and you'll feel fine! My first couple of days cycling in Paris I would get of the bike all shaky but now I go everywhere with it! Just don't trust those cars to look out for you!
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I started slow and am finally getting out of my "if something happens I can walk the bike home" comfort zone. I'm fortunate to have a park in my neighborhood, and my community has a bunch of hike/bike paths. I won't ride in the street with traffic - personal preference.

I love to ride - it's cooler than walking (in Texas - that's important!) and it doesn't get boring. Just get out there and do it.
  • Missanticipated
    Options
    When I was about 12 I fell off my bike and pretty much landed on my face it wasn't very pleasant lol! But I decided to give it a go again last year and I love it. We have a dog and she loves running next to us. We found some good routes with a couple of pubs on the way lol and made a day of it . However I am really nervous of riding on the rodes. Me and hubby have just moved to Germany which is very bike friendly and I still have only cycled once since moving here but I'm sure once I gain a bit of confidence it will be fine! If you have some nice country routes or forest routes try those out first the first ride is bit scary but it doesn't take long to get used to it. Give it ago you never know you might enjoy it :happy:
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Either stick to indoor cycling (I love Spinning, personally), or go ride outside but off-road, i.e., paved bike trails. There is a large national park near us with lots of paved bike roads within, so there are zero cars to worry about - just other bikes :smile:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Face yours fears! Pumping a tire takes a minute and it's the simplest thing ever. So is lubing and cleaning a chain. You can get a bike rack on craigslist for about 15 bucks. Most LBS have free basic bike maintenance classes. Take one. Climb the blasted hill, it's good for you. Busy roads are usually fairly easy to avoid. If you don't want to ride, then don't ride but you better get some better excuses.

Mine are:

It's too hot outside
    It's too cold outside
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Just get out and turn the cranks....................
  • FrenchMob
    Options
    Okay well I had the most horrible traumatic experience on a bike when I was 7, I fell over the handle bars going down a hill and really grazed and injured my body.
    I do that almost every time I go mountain biking. :laugh:
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Wow these are really good and motivating responses-THANK YOU! I crave exercising outdoors so that is what I want most and I do occasionally do spinning/stationary bike-just not the same as being in the fresh air. I live a 15 minute drive from the nearest bike path :( but I do think some rides on there would help my confidence.

But what resonates is I just need to DO IT (Milo :) and I probably can justify getting a bike rack I just need to know I'm going to use it first. Do you keep a bike rack on all the time (through the winter) and is it hard to put on or off?

Thanks for sharing your advice and experiences

Ray lol on the Vibrams comment-do you have a bike rack? My husband is not useful in the bike care department so I need to man up lol

Michelle-That is a terrible story :(
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    get out and bike, unless you do it you'll never do it.
    10 years ago a car drove over me, took 8 months to learn to walk/talk again and two years before I could do both at the same time. I didn't ride for 6 years. but now I ride pretty much everyday.
    If you can take a cycling course. and just do it.
  • FrenchMob
    Options

Ray lol on the Vibrams comment-do you have a bike rack? My husband is not useful in the bike care department so I need to man up lol
    I have 2 actually. A hitch type, and trunk type. :) I prefer the hitch type as there's less messing around with straps and setting up, etc.