Throwing it all away on the weekend

Options
:devil: I am getting so discouraged at falling of the wagon on the weekends! It is becoming a tradition for me to pig out, drink soda, skip workouts, and not log calories all weekend long. On Monday I hate myself, I've gained 3 lbs, and I go back to religiously counting calories and eating healthy.

I believe this behavior is keeping me from being as healthy as I can be and also keeping me from reaching my goal weight that I am painfully close to. I also feel like it leads me into other unhealthy behaviors that I have been working really hard to cut out of my life (namely smoking).

When I start eating fast food and junk food on the weekend it's like everything goes out the window with it and I start a binge of eating crap food and being careless. I know I am not supposed to deny myself all treats and perhaps I am a little guilty of counting calories "too much" during the week. But I can't seem to treat myself without getting out of control.

What is the matter with me? Why do I find it so difficult to maintain my healthy eating habits on weekends? If you have suggestions on how to stay on top of it over the weekend let me know. Does anyone have any clue how I control this self-destructive behavior?

Thanks!

Replies

• rward007
    rward007 Posts: 32
    Options
    Not much advice I can give that you don't already realize. I think not logging your calories is the first mistake. You lose all accountability to yourself there.

I'll admit I am more relaxed on my diet on the weekends, but I keep it within reason. I also workout one day (Sunday is always my rest day). I usually allow myself 1 meal of eating whatever I want on the weekends, but I think the reality is that what I want has been less and less unhealthy. I had a huge meal this weekend and I felt like I had a food hangover. I can't really eat like that anymore.

I also don't keep temptations in the house. If I wanted a snack, I'd be stuck with vegetables and hummus, unless I went to the store.
  • staceyd90
    Options
    Everytime you go close to eating something you know you shouldn't have, just imagine how you'll feel monday morning. I've just graduated and dont have a job so dont have the problem of weekends, but i do have SUCH a sweet tooth, i find it i get little bags of treats and cut everything else out of the house then it helps. Also weightwatchers chocolate and orange cookies and vanilla and chocolate mousses are a godsend that helps me stay under on my cals.

Just try, as much as possible to not think of the weekends as treat days, have a small treat a day, a piece of chocolate or a small bag of crisps, and then everyday you'll be rewarding yourself and might not feel the need to do it over the weekend?

Hope this helps.

Message/Add me if you want for motivation! xx
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Honestly? There is just no simple solution to this. You just have to learn to say no to the food that takes you over and makes you binge.

I've found the best thing to do is eat out less (I'm avoiding it if I can until I'm in control of my food choices), pick healthier options from take aways (even if you really want the least healthy option) and don't buy huge amounts of food you can binge on. Of the temptation isn't there then it can't beat you and if you do want to have a treat then just buy enough to satisfy your craving without there being enough to binge on.

You can avoid bingeing but you have to want to. You can do it! Good luck.:happy:
  • Alwaysonadiet54
    Alwaysonadiet54 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Seems to be a way of life for me. I diet just to blow it on the weekends. Weekends are so difficult, I totally understand. Now I have to deal with 5 containers of Hagen Das in my freezer from my husband's birthday party yesterday. I am planning to fit in a 1/2 cup a night. :)
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I schedule workouts ahead of time for the weekends to get myself moving, especially if it means paying to take a special class. Then if I don't go, I've lost not only my workout but my money too! You could also try to find a workout buddy, who will hold you accountable for meeting them at a certain time/place. I find that I am more motivated to stay within my goals if I start out Sat/Sun mornings with a trip to the gym.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I used to to be like that. my problem was alcohol made me act like that... cravings after a drink and wanting to eat rubbish the day after. I worked on cutting alcohol down and the rest followed. I now rarely drink and don't miss it... xx
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. Just remember, every meal/snack is a choice regardless of what you've done earlier in the day. I tend to binge before lunch and then throw the day out the window.

In reality, the day can be mostly saved if I just remember that advice.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The flip side - you can't go crazy depriving yourself during the week. I used to restrict too much during the week, and after a week of severe restriction you don't have the willpower to keep restricting. I looked at your diary - the days that are tracked, you're eating between 600 and 800 calories. Other days you're not tracking at all. (So I am not sure whether the 600-800 number is accurate). I made a goal of tracking every single day for 100 days - I did that because I had the problem of going nuts on the weekends, too. Tracking every day (and eating well during the week) seemed to help.
  • EmmaR31
    EmmaR31 Posts: 184
    Options
    I do EXACTLY the same thing, and it's so damn frustrating!
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing :( been hollering at myself for the last 3 weeks ....I dont feel too bad if I really get some good physical work outs in....like we are building now so I am running constantly moving boards saws etc....like one of the other posters said...alcohol is player in this game...I keep track and dont want junk food until I have a beer or a drink then its all out the window even though in the back of mind is this little voice saying be careful you are getting close .....it doesnt help when the people you around are the same way....I think though ...as hard as it is to admit...it all boils down to self control and responsibility for our own actions...Me Myself and I are the only ones that can make the changes daily in our actions and reactions to external stimuli and the only ones who really care about Me Myself and I :) hang in there ....everyday is a battle that you might not win but its the war you need to concentrate on:) We can do this....one day at a time! Venting on the not so good days helps for sure but I hope you are patting yourself on the back for all the little wins you have made so far....just having the tenacity to fight everyday is something to be proud of!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Knowing is half the battle!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I think power of will is a large part of it. For me, even suggestions of not buying it don't help because once caught in that mindset, I will go and buy the stuff and convince myself I won't eat it all, but then do, lol. I have had a run of 5 days now of bingeing and it is hell trying to break the pattern.

I did find that it happened less when I had a treat each afternoon, after my workout, usually a slice of cake or a cookie or chocolate bar. It also helped when instead of running on empty all afternoon, I had a piece of sprouted bread with some philadelphia. That seemed to tide me over. I think you have to either be less restrictive in the week and spread the goodies out, or accept you will have a 'free day' every weekend, and stay on track the rest of the time. Some people allow themselves a few cheat meals a week in maintenance, and that works for them. If you are close to goal then it is a good time to get into some sort of pattern regarding the less healthy foods you enjoy.

But, if you choose to have a few treat meals or a free day each week, you have to find the willpower to be able to snap back on track.
  • ally1130
    ally1130 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the posts everybody! I am feeling more positive about improving my eating habits on the weekend. :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Why not add some structure to your weekends? I liked the idea of scheduling workouts, but it could just be seeing friends, or cleaning the bathrooms, etc. The weekend is so different than weekdays that it's easy to revert to old habits of just lying around and eating bon bons.
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Weekends this summer have been the worse, every weekend, we seem to have a wedding, or other huge function with endless food. I have learned to only sample what is on my plate when I am sitting down to a 7 course meal. I also try to go for lower calorie drink options and have been volunteering to be the DD to curb the calories from booze. Its been rough I haven't gained but I really haven't lost too much either. For the last two weekends I have been making certain to workout both Sat & Sunday... Hopefully we will all get into check come the fall... :)
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Seems like you already know the answer to your problem .........

All it takes is self discipline..

so yeah you and I both know the answer to your problem ... JUST STOP !
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I find myself doing this also. It's so easy with a desk job Monday through Friday to have a set schedule of what to eat and when. My best solution is schedule the same eating patterns during the weekend (involves me carrying snacks in my purse to keep myself in check).

And never, ever skip on counting calories. The guilt you feel after the bag of chips or drinks at the bar is the motivation to keep you in check.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Easier said than done, but it's all willpower - and NOT having it in the house.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    last saturday, i went to a barbecue and i really had no plan. i was just going to "go with it". well...sunday morning, i logged in everything i ate at the barbecue and what an eye opener! at one meal, i consumed over 2000 calories! so much for "going with it"! never doing that again!

you've got to log in your weekends. log it all! you have to hold yourself accountable. if i don't log in, i feel as if it didn't really happen.

and yes, part of the problem is the temptation. no more barbecues for a while and no more going out to dinner too. just at least until i am capable of making the right decisions when i'm amidst temptation.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. For me its the break form preparing food the night before that means I'm stuck deciding what to eat when hunger strikes- and my mind wanders to yummy things- plus if a social situation arises there is always social eating to deal with. I often get over this by sticking to planned meals. Its a pain in the bum as i like to have my weekend break from that but it does keep me on track.