How do you avoid junk food when you travel?

Options
The nature of my second job (musician) has me traveling either by car or by plane almost every other weekend. That means junk food and virtually no sleep.
Even though during the day I can entertain my appetite with a granola bar and an apple, there is really not much I can do after work around 4-5 am when I can eat an elephant.
I think the problem is that staying up and not eating my usual times and my usual portions have a really bad effect on my body lately and I am not sure what foods should I choose that have less impact.
Any suggestions or any experiences?

Thank you all in advance!

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    With little else besides a package of plastic bowls and plastic utensils, you can get A LOT of choices from any grocery store. A microwave (like most hotel rooms have) expands your options even more.
  • sakisus
    sakisus Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you! I have tried those options through the years but it s a pain. It is better when I am driving though. I can make a quick snack from my icebox while on the highway!
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Even fast food has better options, if the "best" options. Look at the nutrition information online for the fast food place of choice and see what would work best for you. Since you have a cooler with you, pack veggies, cheese sticks, fruit, nuts, etc. These are munchy, crunchy things that should help with that late-night-not-enough-sleep-I-need-food issue.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Just run around the supermarket, instead of McDonalds or other fast food chains.

What I usually do, is that I bring a plastic bowl and a fork and then just go to the supermarket to buy a bag of washed lettuce or other greens, a tin of tuna, salmon or lean meat, some chickpeas or beans and maybe some microwaveable pasta or rice.
    I just mix this up in the bowl to make a big salad for dinner. Use the oil from the tin of tuna or salmon as a dressing. Add a little pot of yogurt for dessert and you have a full on meal.

You can actually make a surprising amount of varieties with this.

If you don't want a full on meal, you could also take some muesli or oats in a bag with you and just buy a small pot of yogurt at the supermarket.
  • slogan119
    Options
    Go buy a cooler for when you travel in a car, and get a couple of gel packs.

When on road trips, go to a grocery store and buy milk, yogurt, and roasted chickens, along with some fruits. You can easily eat those while in the car. I do quite often, as I'm in the car a lot for work each day.

When flying, you're at a disadvantage. But most restaurants will serve some variation of grilled chicken, salad, and steamed veggies. You just have to have the will power to ask and to actually eat that.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Peanuts, beef jerky, and dry chicken sandwiches (or with mustard) at fast food joints.
  • sakisus
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advices but my major issue is those cravings of junk food like nasty burgers, fried junk and such that I have (and most everyone I know that is doing this job).

Lifting and carrying equipment, setting them up then performing for 6-10 hours then loading all the equipment back in the trucks and been already up for more than 20 hours, a chick pea salad or a cup of yogurt wont really make it. Especially the next day driving/flying back which sometimes the cravings are worse.

May be my question should be: What does the body need after 48 hours with little to no sleep and has been subjected to mental and physical exhaustion?
    Because may be I dont feed it what it needs and eat whatever I find in front of me.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    steak.
    it lets you feel full. lol

if you dont eat a huge serving of potatos with it, its not too bad.... instead of the fries, order the veggies, salad, etc. and if you get a second one, get the sautaeed onions or mushrooms.

you will feel full a good while after, it has the fat in there to feel good now, and the protien to remain full later.. as long as you dont eat all the carbs that normally come with it, its not too bad on calories.. not low calorie by anymeans, but you can keep it average.
  • HealthIsMyHobby
    HealthIsMyHobby Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    pack healthy snacks, and only travel to places that have grocery stores so that you can resupply on healthy snacks.
  • AnnaMC1977
    AnnaMC1977 Posts: 241
    Options
    If you are on a road trip, I'd pack a cooler for while you're on the road. Nuts, cheese, maybe some granola, peanut butter and some low carb bread. If you're flying...I'd go for the kids' menu at fast food restaurants. Skip the mayo though. I always do taco bell. Chicken soft tacos and the regular tacos are decent choices. Some restaurants offer a healthy breakfast..subway has a really good avocado, cheese and egg breakfast sandwich. Hope this helps.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot but do not do the lifting you do -- I keep a water bottle to keep craving down and when I want to eat - having dry crackers (wasa, etc) or protein bars helps me.

If you are breaking down your set often, eating more is fine - but are you also drinking a beer here and there? Danger!

i bet you are not drinking enough WATER!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My husband is a musician and so I get what you are saying. He is also a chef and generally eats healthy, well balanced meals.. but after a gig- his body craves JUNK!!! He would eat spaghettios... boxed mac and cheese, greasy burgers... anything fattening and filling....... but he probably burned 1000 calories playing too (drummer for latin band)

chances are you sweat your butt off loading in, playing, and loading out- so I think the cravings for prepared foods is really the sodium content.. not the actual food......

I would personally give in to the craving in a small way.. eat a frigging fast food cheeseburger.. then eat something healthy too.. and lotsa water. and see how that satiates you......
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Do you want to avoid junk food?....Pack your own food. An apple and a couple of boiled eggs recently saved me from eating breakfast muchie snacks on a plane. If you are into protein bars (for example)...then just keep a couple of them handy in your pockets.
  • flsl
    flsl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thats a great question. its a killer travelling on roads that have only garages or takeaway food. Some garage shops seem to have absolutely nothing healthy. Same with some airports.

The advice about bringing your own food, or stocking up in a supermarket seems good esp the cooler.

Also, be a bit nice to yourself. Someone told me that you should eat smallish meals every 4 hours (say up to 400 cals). When we travel we can go 7 or 8 hours without food and its no wonder we ll eat the first thing we see then. Its not cravings it just starvation, and big blood sugar drops. Its easier to control that by eating more regularly.

So, if you are up for 24 hours, then 6 meals is not unreasonable, esp as you say with the heavy lifting.

Also, if you are going for 'burgers' it might be just a protein craving. Maybe some cold meats in the cooler, or cheese, or (very un-rock and roll) some bean salads. (or sometimes just the burger without the bland burger buns).

I feel your pain. I travel short distances and back to England with my fella, and I often fall foul to the 'treats' of travelling, like chocolate, crisps and late night fizzy drinks. Having something else on hand to snack on helps. And the bottles of water...
  • sakisus
    Options
    It seems like I got my answer! All of you mentioned water. 9/10 times I hydrate myself very well, especially at the warm days.
    For the person that mentioned alcohol. No I dont consume alcohol before/during or after work.
    Sodium and Protein seem to be the suspects in my case. I know very few things about them and I will do a little more research.
    @Francesca3162, I smiled at your comment, yes you know exactly what I am talking about!

Thank you all!