What's a good DVD set?

Options
I Have been on Weight Watchers for about 8 months now. I have lost 50lbs. just on changing my diet. Now I want to start working out. I have been riding my bike on a trainer for about a week now. The bicycle is my prefered mode of exercise (I HATE running...) My wife is also working out with me as we are each others motivation. We are looking to ride and run (she uses the elliptical while I ride) for a few weeks to get us in the habit and get our bodies conditioned to exercise. Starting in September, I would like to start doing working out with a DVD.

I searched the forum, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have been searching Amazon, but I can't decipher what would work for us. I am looking for a DVD set that would be something along the lines of 3-4 different workouts that target specific areas of the body each (ie. abs one day, arms and back the next etc.) that will give us a lot better tone. I don't want to get huge, I just want a little definition (and to lose that spare tire that's left). I don't think we are ready for or can dedicate the time to something like P90X (don't you have to do it everyday for 90 days?), but I think 4, maybe 5 days a week would be do-able. I like the look of "The Firm" but I don't really know if that is what we are looking for and I only want to spend money on one, at least for now.

What have you tried? What would you suggest? What meets these parameters (if anything)? I really appreciate the help.

Replies

• ashbroom
    Options
    Anyone???
  • lifescircle
    Options
    I suggest looking at workouts online first... like youtube.

There are lots of free workouts you can do. And you can learn the correct form, which is important... something like a simple lunge, form is important.

Here's a place to start on youtube, but there are lots of others as well... http://www.youtube.com/user/livestrong/videos?view=1
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'd look in to Insanity, P90x or one of those from Beach Body. You don't "have" to do them 90 days, you can do them as you can, just know that the results are better if you do them for the 90 days.
  • LyneLaco
    Options
    The Biggest Loser DVDs are great!
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    P90X would be my first suggestion for you - even though you said it's not really your thing. It's a really well balanced routine, you get everything you need, but yes it is 6 days a week, and the workouts are long (usually over 48mins)!

I just finished week 1 of Chalean Extreme - it's primarily weight training with a few days of Cardio, The video's are short (25-40 mins) and she gives you 2 rest days a week. So Far it's been an awesome work out! And I can definetly feel it everywhere.

Good luck with whatever you choose!!
  • aholly70
    aholly70 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I have the firm dvd's and they are great,biggest loser,jillian micheals.But I would love to get Insanity or p90x.I'v seen alot of great results from them.Feel free to add me.
  • lifescircle
    Options
    For what you're looking for...

P90x is a time commitment. If you want a long workout, then sure try it out. But if you're not ready for that, I would not invest in it right now. There are shorter workouts you can do to build strength and tone up.

Try some workouts online. If you find an instructor that you like, search for their videos online and checkout a local store like Target to see if they have what you're looking for.

I understand not wanting to spend a lot of money on something you know you're not ready for, or looking for right now.

There are plenty of alternatives to P90x and Insanity. Not that I am bashing either... I have P90x and I really like Tony Horton, he's a great motivator... but I don't want to spend over an hour with him every single day :)... although, he does have shorter workout DVDs, not sure of the price of those.

Anyway, do some research first, like on youtube to get a feel for who you like, then look for their DVDs.
  • Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The Biggest Loser DVDs are great!

this is what I was going to say to :) they have wonderful workouts. My favs are bob's bootcamp, last chance workout, and bob's weight loss yoga.
  • ashbroom
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the input. I WOULD like to give P90X or Insanity (although I have seen hip hop abs before and Shawn T seems a little corny to me, but it is the only real workout DVD I have seen), but like I said, that's down the road. I like the idea of checking out youtube, I didn't really think of that (I did, but I ruled it out without looking, dumb...). It would really be nice to see the chapters/workouts on each DVD, so I would know how they are structured. Off to youtube!!

Thanks everyone!!
  • thatyogagirl
    thatyogagirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Today I started JM's 30 day shred, I've read very promising reviews about it. I'll update with my results next month.
  • swright920
    swright920 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the Chalean Extreme workouts and really like them. I'm still in the first phase of it and if I have to miss a day I just do it the next day and push my schedule out, so I won't get the results quite as fast but I do like the variety of her workouts and like a pp, I really feel it. I chose that over P90X because of the length of the workout, a 30-40 minute workout is far more doable than a 60-70 minute workout.

Sue
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I recently got Jackie Warner's "Power circuit training" DVD and I like it a lot. You can do it as one workout OR split it up into three; upper body, lower body and abs. Each has different sections (i.e. within upper body are: Chest, Back, and bi/tri/shoulders), and each section has three exercises. They're good, hard exercises and it's flexible because you use dumbbells so you can increase the weight as needed. She's a cool instructor and not real cheesy, and the hamstring section is worth the price of the DVD imo :)

The nice thing about Bob Harper's dvd's is you can often get a good deal on a few of them on his website...I'm not sure about Jackie...
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    sounds like a perfect time to chime in with my love of Jillian Michaels. lol Body Revolution sounds perfect for you. 4 days of body work using a resistance band and 2-12 lb weights (depending on your strength level), and 2 days of cardio. If you're looking for only 5 days of working out you can always skip that last cardio, i'm sure. I love JM because her stuff is only a half hour of my time and I'm seeing amazing results.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I would recommend Jillian Michaels also. I have the 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30 and Shred it With Weights. I enjoy all of them. And they each have 3-4 different levels, so you can do whatever you feel like and never get bored. You can buy them for about $10 on Amazon.
  • Growtinymusclesgrow
    Growtinymusclesgrow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I Have been on Weight Watchers for about 8 months now. I have lost 50lbs. just on changing my diet. Now I want to start working out. I have been riding my bike on a trainer for about a week now. The bicycle is my prefered mode of exercise (I HATE running...) My wife is also working out with me as we are each others motivation. We are looking to ride and run (she uses the elliptical while I ride) for a few weeks to get us in the habit and get our bodies conditioned to exercise. Starting in September, I would like to start doing working out with a DVD.

I searched the forum, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. I have been searching Amazon, but I can't decipher what would work for us. I am looking for a DVD set that would be something along the lines of 3-4 different workouts that target specific areas of the body each (ie. abs one day, arms and back the next etc.) that will give us a lot better tone. I don't want to get huge, I just want a little definition (and to lose that spare tire that's left). I don't think we are ready for or can dedicate the time to something like P90X (don't you have to do it everyday for 90 days?), but I think 4, maybe 5 days a week would be do-able. I like the look of "The Firm" but I don't really know if that is what we are looking for and I only want to spend money on one, at least for now.

What have you tried? What would you suggest? What meets these parameters (if anything)? I really appreciate the help.
    [/

I would definitely suggest going to the gym and lifting! Supplement with Jillian Michaels Body Revolution! It us an amazing fat burning, total body workout!
  • starcyndycyn
    Options
    Try Blogilates, which are totally free online, and have many area-specific workouts: http://blogilates.com/
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Awesome, thanks for the input. I WOULD like to give P90X or Insanity (although I have seen hip hop abs before and Shawn T seems a little corny to me, but it is the only real workout DVD I have seen), but like I said, that's down the road. I like the idea of checking out youtube, I didn't really think of that (I did, but I ruled it out without looking, dumb...). It would really be nice to see the chapters/workouts on each DVD, so I would know how they are structured. Off to youtube!!

Thanks everyone!!

Tony Horton (P90X trainer) also has 10-Minute Trainer. The workouts are total body and only 10 minutes in length. The concept is to do them 3x a day, fitting them in when you have 10 minutes. This would be a good precursor to P90X, when you are ready for it.

Insanity cannot be compared to Hip Hop Abs, even though it is the same trainer. Shaun T is a beast you love to hate in Insanity. I've done Insanity. I now teach a spin class & have been a long time runner (but only sporadic). Insanity is the most intense cardio workout I've ever endured. Nevertheless, it increased my endurance for running and spinning.

Just some food for thought should you decide to give one of those programs a whirl in the future.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like P90X the best and got fantastic results. It's 6 days a week.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    The jillian michaels programs are good too though. I've done 30 day shred, extreme shed and shred, and ripped in 30. These you don't have to do as often and they still give good results with decent calorie burn.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    KettleWorX. Cardio and strength in one. Has all areas separate if you get the full set.