Yogurt vs. Greek Yogurt

Options
What is the difference between yogurt and Greek yogurt? I personally like the taste of the Greek yogurt more, but noticed it has more calories. Does anybody know the difference and which one is healthier for you?

Replies

• lovinmomnwife
    Options
    I would like to kno also. I always eat Reg yogurt and love it but some people have said that greek Yougrt is healthier.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I believe that greek yogurt has a higher protein content and lower water content.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is basically regular yogurt that is strained of it's liquid content longer, which is why it is thicker, so higher in protein.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Greek yogurt has more protein, less sodium, and fewer carbs.

Regular yogurt has more calcium.

Calories in non-fat, plain should be about the same.

Your body actually benefits from both types. I try to use both. I generally use regular in smoothies, and Greek to eat as a snack.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Stolen from the interwebs...

Texture: Greek yogurt is generally thicker than regular, American yogurt. Many types of American yogurts contain thickeners, such as pectin, but Greek yogurt is strained to remove more of the liquid (whey). Straining makes the texture of Greek yogurt denser and creamier than regular yogurt.

Nutrition: Greek yogurt contains less lactose and other carbohydrates than regular yogurt. Because it is more concentrated, whole milk Greek yogurt is higher in fat and calories than regular whole milk yogurt. Regular yogurt contains about twice the calcium as Greek yogurt, but Greek yogurt is higher in protein.

Uses: Greek yogurt is better for cooking because it does not curdle when heated, a problem cooks sometimes encounter when heating regular yogurt. The thick, creamy texture of Greek yogurt makes it a good substitute for sour cream. Greek yogurt has a longer shelf life than regular yogurt because it contains less whey.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Compare labels. See what differences are important to you.

(total cop-out answer, but I can't find plain dannon or yoplait yogurt nutrition info to do a fair comparison)
  • tubway
    tubway Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I believe that greek yogurt has a higher protein content and lower water content.

This. But be careful and read your labels. Not all Greek yogurt brands are created equal. I bought some Greek Gods brand and opened it and thought to myself, "hmm, this looks just like regular yogurt" even though it said it was Greek style. I looked at the label and sure enough it only had one more gram of protein than the tub of Dannon I had sitting next to it, whereas a container of Fage I had just thrown out had almost twice the protein for the same serving size!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    i like greek yogurt better, and i think it's better for you, more protein
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is just strained for longer. Take regular yogurt, put it in some cheesecloth in a bowl for a while, and you'll have Greek yogurt. Winds up being thicker and with more protein per calorie.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has more protein. I really love Light & Fit Greek yogurt...80 calories, 12 grams of protein, and very yummy!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    switched from dannon light and fit to chobani greek yogurt about two weeks ago. i have found that if i have the yogurt as part of my breakfast, i am full longer and don't need a mid morning snack. so while the calories are higher, so is the protein, and i am not grabbing a snack between breakfast and lunch anymore. i like the apple cinnamon flavor the best. it is actually the only one i like so far.
  • pjstar31
    pjstar31 Posts: 26
    Options

This. But be careful and read your labels. Not all Greek yogurt brands are created equal. I bought some Greek Gods brand and opened it and thought to myself, "hmm, this looks just like regular yogurt" even though it said it was Greek style. I looked at the label and sure enough it only had one more gram of protein than the tub of Dannon I had sitting next to it, whereas a container of Fage I had just thrown out had almost twice the protein for the same serving size!

Also, the off brand Greek Yogurt such as Kroger (Dillon's) brand has almost half the carbs as the more expensive, name brand Greek Yogurts like the Fage, Chobani, and Oikos brands. This is probably due to more real fruit in the more expensive brands, and fruit is good, but if you're looking for a good place to cut a few carbs this is it ... and you'll cut your grocery bill down a little bit as well.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I go Greek (no pun intended) because of the protein and tastes great. I like trying different brands of it
  • BeSophisticate
    Options
    I agree with the watching your labels comments.

Greek yogurt has become extremely popular and I've noticed some companies have slapped the "Greek" label onto yogurt that isn't really Greek style yogurt at all.

Additionally, whether the yogurt is made from whole, 2%, or non-fat milk will also make a huge difference , at least in calorie content. Since the difference between the two is HOW it's made (Greek is strained), both varieties can be made using milk containing various amounts of fat. The more fat, the more calories. That's true for all yogurt.

My favorites, for Greek yogurt, are Fage and Chobani because they're widely available and have a number of interesting flavors. I always get the non-fat varieties for fewer calories and I have a real weakness for those sweetened with honey. :love:
  • talkytina9
    talkytina9 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't much care for the Greek yogurt..it is just to thick for my tastes..I still prefer just regular yoplait..or the whipped Yoplait..yum..
  • kayfrog
    kayfrog Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I love Chobani (haven't seen Fage around here) and have it for breakfast everyday, helps me stay full for a super long time.

Also, after eating greek yogurt for so long... regular yogurt just doesn't taste good to me anymore.