Harder to Lose in my 30's!

Options
:noway: Hi everyone! I recently joined this site and I'm wondering if others can relate -- my weight always went up and down in my 20s, and last year after I turned 30, I gained a lot of weight again. However, this time around, I can't get it to come off! I feel like I'm doing the same things as I did in my 20s to lose weight, but now (at age 31) it's coming off SOOOO SLOW! Others out there who feel like the scale should be changing quicker than it is??? Add me as a friend if you'd like to help motivate each other!

Replies

• jessiekins123
    Options
    Bump!
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Wait until you're 38 it's even harder. I'll add you as a friend.
  • Cherrisherry
    Options
    absolutely agree. I've been trying to lose my last 10 lbs for the past 2 years!
  • kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    YES!!! I have noticed the same thing!! I'm 35 and have always gone up and down in weight. However the past couple years it has been harder than ever lose. I used to lose 5-7 lbs in the first week of dieting. (I know that's mostly water weight, but still it's 5-7 lbs!!!) Now, it's a struggle to even lose 1 lb. a week and keep it off. Has my metabolism slowed down that much?? Is there a way to boost that metabolism?
  • mistylovesmusic
    Options
    I absoultely can relate! I turned 30, developed rheumatoid arthritis and dry skin. Getting older stinks! I used to be able to drop 5 pounds in a week, now I'm lucky to do that in a month. Just keep at it and remember your doing it to better your health. We need to gain control now because I've heard it only gets worse as you near 40. Good luck!
  • Matt120182
    Options
    In my twenties I'd lose weight so easily, now i'm 30 i'm struggling to lose it half as quickly as I did :( feel free to add me if you're looking for motivation :)
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Well then really don't wait til you're 43!!!
  • meandtwocats
    Options
    Wait until your in your 50's like me. Then it is like sludge. Good luck!
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Same here losing slowly, and my 40s is around the corner so if it this hard now I have to get this weight of by 40. I up my workouts to 2 hrs a day this week to see if I can see a difference. you can add me if you like.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    ok, I am fifty and I started this in February.
    I have MS so it can be weeks at a time that I cannot exercise and I have lost almost forty pounds.
    If I can do it, then all of you can.
    No more excuses, just eat less, and move more and hydrate well!!!

Add me, if that is the type of motivation and feedback you are looking for......
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I'm 38 and it feels like it's going relatively well.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Wait until your in your 50's like me. Then it is like sludge. Good luck!

^^ this^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I have to be honest and thankful at the same time. I am losing about the same rate I have always lost - yep, my whole adulthood spent losing and regaining. I won't know how much harder it is later in life though, because I am going to be successful at maintaining this time ;). I am 41 yrs old. May want to get your thyroid checked just to make sure all is well chemically.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's harder, your metab slows down every year as you age. However, I am 47 and in better shape now than I ever was.
    I personally feel lifting weights is the key! keeps your metab moving along with a fitting calorie plan, it can be done, Just keep moving..and Lift heavy stuff;-) Good luck 2 you!
  • carebear7951
    carebear7951 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Oh! Absolutely! I lost a bunch of sizes (didn't own a scale then) in my 20s (upper 20s but still!) and now, 10 years later at 36...it's kicking my butt and I wonder if I will ever be smaller in certain areas (waist and lower back area). Good luck! Keep at it and we can do this! 30s isn't old, right?
  • pjeddy741
    Options
    LOL!! Welcome! I was going to say wait until you're in your 40's!!! My metabolism is like sludge!! I work twice as hard now to lose weight as I did in my 20's and 30's!! BUT.... I did this to myself, so I just need to stick it out no matter how long it takes!!
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I am in my 40's and it is not easy. Do it now, it only gets harder :) But it is DO-ABLE! Feel free to friend me if you wish, and good luck on this weight loss journey!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I can relate!

I'm 35 now. I'm a healthy weight now.

In my 20s I was way too thin (very active, ate really well though, so I was healthy just too thin for my frame). Anyway...In my teens and 20s I could not gain weight. I remember not weighing enough to donate blood in college (at the time I was 110, you had to be 112). It was all purely genetic (a blessing actually).

My Dad once told me that what worked in your 20s will not work in your 30s. So true!

I travel a lot in the spring and fall for work and I've found it harder and harder to maintain a healthy weight. This was not an issue for me just a decade ago.

I found out women in their 30s begin to have bone and muscle loss (so this is a big part of it). The only way to combat that is by doing weight bearing exercise. Also, there's hormonal changes that start after age 30 that make it harder as well. I wanted to get things under control because I know with each passing decade we lose muscle and gain fat!
  • EllaNovella
    Options
    My mom had 3 kids, she's 39, and she's not really struggling that much to lose weight. She's lost like 5 or 6 kg in the last 3 months... You should eat right and exercise, and be patient :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's harder, your metab slows down every year as you age. However, I am 47 and in better shape now than I ever was.
    I personally feel lifting weights is the key! keeps your metab moving along with a fitting calorie plan, it can be done, Just keep moving..and Lift heavy stuff;-) Good luck 2 you!

Actually I've heard that it does not slow down. See what I posted above about muscle and bone loss as well as hormonal changes.