Harder to Lose in my 30's!

Options

Replies

• cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. In my 20s I could do any diet I wanted and lose weight in months... it took me two years to lose 50 pounds. Then again, it is possible, you just need to work harder at it and be more strict with food intake and exercise! Sigh.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I found it a lot easier in my 30's as I no longer feel the need to down a dozen + pints and have a kebab every Friday and Saturday nights.
  • kathyms13
    kathyms13 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    30S that should be easy, you are mobile i take it. im 65 this year ive lost quite a bit, its down to being honest what you eat and exercise
  • bet3120
    bet3120 Posts: 125
    Options
    ohhh yeah !!!!! i feel that at my 38, but let's do this together i'll add at you to fight this and prove we can make :smile:
    anyone else is welcome to be MFP if the same.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I have noticed the same thing!! I'm 35 and have always gone up and down in weight. However the past couple years it has been harder than ever lose. I used to lose 5-7 lbs in the first week of dieting. (I know that's mostly water weight, but still it's 5-7 lbs!!!) Now, it's a struggle to even lose 1 lb. a week and keep it off. Has my metabolism slowed down that much?? Is there a way to boost that metabolism?

From what I've learned it is not metabolism. It is bone and muscle loss starting after age 30 and hormonal changes. To combat the muscle loss, and fat gain the experts say to make sure to include weight bearing exercise and strength training in your routine. This also helps with bone loss.
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    It sooo true... I lost 20-30 pounds fairly easily when I was in my mid-late 20s... I gained 10 pounds back and I'm 31 now. Started the weight loss process again and geez... It's like watching paint dry. :ohwell:
  • Wol5894
    Wol5894 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yes it IS harder but don't leave it any longer than you can because it gets worse as you get older. I'm in my late 50s and desperately wish I had tackled my big weight problem earlier. Somehow, other things seemed to get in the way.

However, it can be done - my hubby is in his early 60s, is in a wheelchair and has lost 21 lbs in the same time it has taken me to lose 16 lbs. He has a lot less calorie allowance than me and he is more than a foot taller than me. Determination is the key - he goes out every day (when it isn't raining!) to take a different route to the shops and back. He doesn't go to necessarily buy anything, just to go out and get the exercise.

Just go for it!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It is harder in your 30's than your 20's. It will be even harder in your 40's and so on and so for. Our metabolism naturally begins to slow after age 20. And once you hit menopause it gets even harder still.

Do it now before it gets even worse.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's harder, your metab slows down every year as you age. However, I am 47 and in better shape now than I ever was.
    I personally feel lifting weights is the key! keeps your metab moving along with a fitting calorie plan, it can be done, Just keep moving..and Lift heavy stuff;-) Good luck 2 you!

Actually I've heard that it does not slow down. See what I posted above about muscle and bone loss as well as hormonal changes.
    I agree about muscle and bone loss indeed, but also, Metab slows as well. Everyone has there own view;-) Respected:-)
    Starting at about age 25, the average person’s metabolism declines between 5% and 10% per decade, Berardi says, which means that the typical North American loses between 20% and 40% of their metabolic power over the course of their adult life span.
    Good article for tips to burn more as you age http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/increase-your-metabolism-start-losing-fat
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Yup - I'm 35 and noticing the same thing! I'll add you too!
  • RedHeadHotMama
    RedHeadHotMama Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Definatly. 38 and I haven't lost anything almost 2 weeks. I feel like I am fighting a losing battle trying to get past this hill. Anyone can add me. Love the motovation!
  • chojolitos
    chojolitos Posts: 100
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to the club
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    LOL ... wait until you're my age! (actually it hasn't been as bad as I had feared) You can do it!
  • tnvolsfan74
    tnvolsfan74 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Wait until you're 38 it's even harder. I'll add you as a friend.

Word! :laugh:
  • Kristan_Forsey
    Kristan_Forsey Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Don't feel too bad my metabolism died at like 21/22 between the ages of 26 and 27 I decided it was time to do something. I am almost at goal of losing 45lbs and it has been the slowest hardest thing I have ever done.
  • deejaycee114
    deejaycee114 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    your metabolism slows down as you get older, so yeah, it can be a little harder now to lose weight than it was when you were in your 20s. but don't beat yourself up over it. weight loss is not a race. you didn't gain weight overnight, so you're surely not going to lose it just as fast.

i'm 35, and it's taken me 6 months to lose 26 lbs. i was so sure i would have lost at least 35 by now, but i'm not upset over it. as long as the weight is coming off, however slow the pace, i'm happy.

just keep on working hard! you'll get there before you know it! :smile:
  • johnhowson
    johnhowson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This site helped me lose weight and I am 60. It is down to calorie deficit - if you get your calories in deficit you will lose weight whatever your age and personally I don't think it gets harder many people are just less active when they get older
  • carloc
    carloc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    ok, I am fifty and I started this in February.
    I have MS so it can be weeks at a time that I cannot exercise and I have lost almost forty pounds.
    If I can do it, then all of you can.
    No more excuses, just eat less, and move more and hydrate well!!!

Add me, if that is the type of motivation and feedback you are looking for......

Totally agree. Its the mindset you give yourself, the choices you make, being honest about the choices good and bad and working at it. Excuse slow you down, just do it and make it happen. Be active and not just exercise.
  • danthomson56
    Options
    I am 56 and making it happen. I really committed to this in March 2012. Just be honest in tracking your calories and exercise and it will happen. :happy:

259652.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I lost loads of weight in my early/mid 20s just through eating quite a low calorie diet, and then I joined a gym and did lots of cardio and lost more, but it didn't seem to take the same sort of effort it does now that I'm 34.

I have a personal trainer now and use weights a lot, and I am more toned than I used to be, and I can actually fit into some of the clothes I wore when I was 24 (although they are a bit tight still, but give it 2 or 3 months and they'll be fine). I've had 2 children quite close together (the eldest is now 3, the youngest 15 months) and I think that has made it harder too.