Healthy Meatloaf?

Options
I just bought one of those "perfect meatloaf" pans...and every attempt ive made at making a healthy meatloaf has been absolutly aweful!! does anyone have any good meatloaf receipies that are on the healthier side but will still hold together well?

Thanks!!

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    What unhealthy about standard meatloaf? Meat, breadcrumbs, eggs, etc?
  • hymiesmom1
    hymiesmom1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What unhealthy about standard meatloaf? Meat, breadcrumbs, eggs, etc?

I was wondering the same thing?? IF you use quality products (lean meat, whole wheat bread crumbs, yummy spices) then I'd think it's not too bad....of course, you can't eat the whole thing! lol
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I agree. Meatloaf is good stuff. What exactly are you looking for out of the meatloaf?

I've done ground turkey, oatmeal, and an egg. Topped with salsa or sun-dried tomatoes.
  • delorispiper
    Options
    Build this in your recipes and see what you think.

1 lb. ground beef - extra lean
    1/4-1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1 egg
    1 small can of tomatoe sauce (I think it is 8 oz. - maybe 6, )
    1/4 c. chopped onion

Mix bread crumbs into meat. Mix egg and tomatoe sauce together and then pour into meat mixture and mix well. Add onion, salt and pepper as you like, I add a little garlic powder. Then shape into your pan and cover the top with ketchup. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Makes a really moist meatloaf.
  • Whart0603
    Whart0603 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My wife makes a meatloaf with a pound of ground turkey, 1 egg, half box of chicken stuffing, and a half cup of bbq sauce. Half of bbq sauce mixed in and half on top. It is very yummy. It's about 400 calories per quarter but soooo worth it.
  • hymiesmom1
    hymiesmom1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just bought one of those "perfect meatloaf" pans...and every attempt ive made at making a healthy meatloaf has been absolutly aweful!! does anyone have any good meatloaf receipies that are on the healthier side but will still hold together well?

Thanks!!

Here is a website I use frequently. They have great articles as well as recipes...

http://www.eatingwell.com/healthy_cooking/healthy_cooking_101_basics_and_techniques/how_to_make_meatloaf_healthier
  • bully_lady
    bully_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am on a diet plan that does not allow rice/oatmeal/etc., so I use ground turkey, grated cauliflower, grated zucchini, onions, mushrooms, spinach, and a few egg whites - I have used this recipe for meatloaf and meatballs and it holds up just fine for either.
  • brodi3man
    brodi3man Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I make mine in muffin pan for built in portion control. I mix and match with this recipe.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show/comfortably-yum-turkey-and-veggie-meatloaf-minis-recipe
  • Txnurse97
    Txnurse97 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I use a pound of lean ground beef, 1/2 cup salsa, one egg and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Holds together well and not that unhealthy either!
  • crimsonkurls
    crimsonkurls Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 lb ground turkey or chicken
    1/2 green bell pepper
    1/2 red bell pepper
    1/2 onion
    2 egg
    1 can rotel tomatoes
    1 package taco seasoning
    1 tbsp chili powder
    Finely chop all vegetables and mix everything together. Cook uncovered at 350 for 1.5 hours (test for doneness with oven thermometer if you have one).

Doesn’t hold together quite as good as those with carbs but sure tastes yummy.