How long should I rest inbetween exercises?

Options
I like to switch between 30 minutes of elliptical (with arm movement/3 lbs weights) and 30 Day Shred (currently doing level 1). Normally I only choose one per day, but I was thinking of kicking it up a bit and doing both in the same day- get lots of strength and cardio in.

Right now, I'm still pretty weak- I do level 1 on the 30 Day Shred and my muscles shake and I feel like I'm going to throw up. I still don't feel like I'm getting enough out of either work out though.

How long would you suggest I let my body rest in-between these work outs? Should I only do one once a day or is it okay to double up? If I double up, should I take a break in-between the workouts/how long?

Thanks for the wisdom :)

Replies

• ceefin
    ceefin Posts: 16
    Options
    I still don't feel like I'm getting enough out of either work out though.

Why do you feel like this?
  • angeldove85
    Options
    I still don't feel like I'm getting enough out of either work out though.

Why do you feel like this?

I still feel like working out- my muscles shake a bit but I feel like I can keep going/my muscles don't feel tired/hurt.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    It's cardio, so I'd say "only long enough to catch your breath". :laugh:

Though I would take a rest day every now and then.
  • trkilpatrick
    trkilpatrick Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 30DS in the mornings and getting on my elliptical in the evenings after work. It gives me enough time to recover from the feeling that my arms are made of rubber :happy:
  • ceefin
    ceefin Posts: 16
    Options
    If you're muscles are shaking and you feel like you're gonna throw up then you're body is telling you to stop and recover. The workouts are designed by experts and you should just stick to the plan and have some patience :)
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    my muscles shake and I feel like I'm going to throw up. I still don't feel like I'm getting enough out of either work out though.

How can you both feel like you are going to throw up and your muscles shake, yet at the same time feel like you are NOT getting enough out of the workout.
  • shutterbabe
    shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Everyone does the 30 day shred different. Some do it everyday. But it's said that Jillian actually didnt mean for people to do it everyday. She said to give your body a rest in between days. So like do the 30DS mondays, wednesdays, fridays, and saturday or sunday. When I did it I tried to do it everyday but ended up doing it like 4 days a week. Your body does need and should get a rest in between circuit training though.

As for the cardio with it, that would be ideal. That way your heart rate is already up and you'll burn more when you do the shred. Not to mention you'd get a REAL rest day during those in between days. If it's too much for you though, use those in between days for your cardio. Try to get an hour in though if youre going to do it that way.
  • tinad120
    tinad120 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 30DS in the mornings and getting on my elliptical in the evenings after work. It gives me enough time to recover from the feeling that my arms are made of rubber :happy:

This is my plan also! I take it a little easier on Sat/Sun (one workout a day).
  • angeldove85
    Options

This is what I was thinking about doing. I normally wake up at 6am- I could probably get up at 5:30 am which would give me enough time to work out and get on my way. Then work on the elliptical in the evening.

I'm a teacher so I'm desperate to try to stick to having a work out on most days (I'm planning to have Wednesdays and Sundays off)- anything would be better than not working out at all.
  • shutterbabe
    shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If you feel like you can do more, you can always repeat a level of the shred. Like doing level 1 twice in a row so it's a 40 minute workout instead of 20 minutes. Or even better - doing level 1 then level 2 back to back. But only if you want do more of a workout. I'd skip the extra cardio if youre going to do this though.

Youre a stronger person than most if you can do two levels back to back. I was always pooped and cursing at her after just one level at 20 minutes. O.O
  • angeldove85
    Options
    my muscles shake and I feel like I'm going to throw up. I still don't feel like I'm getting enough out of either work out though.

How can you both feel like you are going to throw up and your muscles shake, yet at the same time feel like you are NOT getting enough out of the workout.

I guess I equate a real work out as my muscles either are too tired to continue to do something or physically hurt. I know muscle pain is NOT a good sign though but I want to feel some type of burn in them. Right after I do the ab movements in level 1 my abs feel good but I want that to continue for longer.
  • angeldove85
    Options
    Youre a stronger person than most if you can do two levels back to back. I was always pooped and cursing at her after just one level at 20 minutes. O.O

Don't think I'm ready for back-to-back levels, but it's good to know that my reaction to the end isn't abnormal: I'm usually yelling at her, cursing, and in tears. The stretching at the end helps me to get back to my normal self. :)
  • Chou_In_Motion
    Options
    I do my elliptical trainer on level 6 most times for an hour, but love it when I do an hour and thirty minutes. I may rest 10 minutes before I do Ripped in 30, then rest 10 minutes and go right into Billy's BootCamp AB. I sometimes don't rest between exercise, but will wipe my face and drink water. I change up my exercises, I don't like to get my body use to one thing. If you do the same thing over and over, your body tend to have muscle memory. There are many times my body craves exercise so I will go for a walk. I hope this helps... =)