The Danger in Tea- Fluoride

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think she's exaggerating the risk from tea quite a bit. I'm sure the article below from Science Daily describes it better.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/07/100714104059.htm

excerpt
    "The additional fluoride from drinking two to four cups of tea a day won't harm anyone; it's the very heavy tea drinkers who could get in trouble," said Dr. Gary Whitford, Regents Professor of oral biology in the School of Dentistry. He presented his findings at the 2010 International Association of Dental Research Conference in Barcelona, Spain.

Most published reports show 1 to 5 milligrams of fluoride per liter of black tea, but a new study shows that number could be as high as 9 milligrams.

Fluoride is known to help prevent dental cavities, but long-term ingestion of excessive amounts could cause bone problems. The average person ingests a very safe amount, 2 to 3 milligrams, daily through fluoridated drinking water, toothpaste and food. It would take ingesting about 20 milligrams a day over 10 or more years before posing a significant risk to bone health.
  • Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I have done a lot of research on what inhibits the thyroid and what does not. Tea has not once come up on any credible website as a possibility.

The levels I have on my current medication while drinking tea are exactly the same as the levels I have on my current medication while not drinking tea. For reference, this is not the case for known thyroid inhibitors like raw broccoli, almonds, and soy. Now, everyone is different, but my body tends to react to thyroid inhibitors. Tea hasn't had any effect.

If you are concerned, buy organic teas. There are plenty out there to choose from. Make sure you make it with filtered water (heck, I do that just because I like the flavor more).
  • kaellinn18
    kaellinn18 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    And, seriously- you believe what the government tells you? As far as China and their tea consumption- if you would have read the letter and then the referenced studies, you'd at least give consideration that China isn't doing all that well, health wise, anymore.

So, you're willing to believe random crazy people on the internet over government funded and scientifically rigorous research? That's your prerogative. I don't care what you do. But I have a problem with people like you spreading FUD on this site and scaring people unnecessarily. There are already people on this thread saying they will stop drinking tea because of this idiocy when they have absolutely no reason to do so. Threads like this should be deleted by moderators.
    When I read something like: "Tea leaves absorb more fluoride from the soil and pollutants from the air than any other edible plant known" you'd better bet that I'm going to look into it myself.

You didn't look into anything. You actively sought out information that would support the conclusion that you had already reached in your head, regardless of the credibility of the source. This is not how you research a topic.
  • Villy17
    Villy17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I googled as you said to do, I have found just as many websites debunking this as I have supporting the claim.

As stated above, most research has been done on INSTANT Teas, the loose leaf tea would contain less. Also, there is likely more flouride in your drinking water as there is in tea, that you should be worried about.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    :noway: I smell conspiracy theory...lol

Am trying really hard not to type big old swear words. I can't stand medical professionals scaremongering. A breastfeeding counsellor once told me that "in some countries they grind up cows eye balls and put them in formula because they believe it will help improve the baby's sight".

There has been plenty of debate around fluoride in drinking water for years and years and years. But tea? Purlease!
    Hold me back before I punch some innocent soul in a white coat or nurses uniform

edited because i forgot to say "in drinking water"
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    163888873910826041_muYvqwpo_f.jpg
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    All the posts about fluoride in tap water does make me wonder what they made the tea from that was studied. Are the new higher levels of fluoride due to bad data from the past, or more fluoride in the water used to brew the tea??
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    China's health is declining because western fast food has invaded the cities.

I cannot believe you put more faith in quack science than in actual medical research performed at credible institutes.
  • Shyfire62
    Shyfire62 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes, ma'am- I too have hypothyroidism- Hashimoto's. I stay away from goitrogens, as well. And I, like you, have never seen tea referenced either- that's why I was so shocked.

The referenced link above came from a website built by parents whose children suffer from fluoride poisoning- hence the name PFPC, Parents of Fluoride Poisoned Children. As others have pointed out- it might not be the most scientific of websites- although they do list over 100+ references, many of which are scientific studies. As I said, just a starting point for anyone who desires to research further for themselves.

If there's even a chance that I'm consuming fluoride in my tea, in any amount- I'll pass.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That letter is but one of the very many of sources i looked at over the past couple of days. I posted the letter as a STARTING point because it hits on the issues on several different levels.

I quit using fluoride toothpaste and drinking fluoridated water years ago- because fluoride is toxic. Ever read the directions on your fluoride toothpaste box? Use a 'pea' size amount and do not swallow..

And, seriously- you believe what the government tells you? As far as China and their tea consumption- if you would have read the letter and then the referenced studies, you'd at least give consideration that China isn't doing all that well, health wise, anymore.

When I read something like: "Tea leaves absorb more fluoride from the soil and pollutants from the air than any other edible plant known" you'd better bet that I'm going to look into it myself.

We are responsible for our own health- the government that allows the Monsanto's of the world to control our food supply is not an entity that gives a crap about our well-being. jm2c!

Fluoride is an important mineral for bone health/natural bone metabolism and cavity prevention.

But you still shouldn't swallow toothpaste.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    All the posts about fluoride in tap water does make me wonder what they made the tea from that was studied. Are the new higher levels of fluoride due to bad data from the past, or more fluoride in the water used to brew the tea??

Good point! That's exactly what I was thinking. Trace amounts in soil are not the same as dumping it in the water supply. Our city fought fluoridated water and won. We already have the cleanest water in our state - and the safest.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    this thread reminds me of this dr strangelove scene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr2bSL5VQgM
  • Damiilla
    Damiilla Posts: 66
    Options
    Is this real life?
    I'm pretty certain you're not going to be poisoned from tea. I'd be more willing this is scaremongering from flouride in tap water.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm a nurse and have been for 13 years. I handle the medical information for an entire facility and this is a load of bull turds......

Drink your tea people and enjoy. Really some people will believe anything *sigh*:huh:
  • onefournine
    Options
    It's absolutely true there are high levels of fluoride in tea. My dentist told me this long ago, and he was simply warning me that fluoride levels in tooth care products, public water supplies and in tea all combine to potentially give a person too much fluoride. Not sure it destroys the thyroid. I will let the skeptics have the google fun on that one.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/12354500/Articles/JFCA_TeaFluoride.pdf

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/07/100714104059.htm

From the first article, a research study...

"Using the results of this study, about 4–5 cups of brewed tea for women and about 6 cups for men would achieve the recommended daily intake for fluoride; this does not account for additional amounts provided by natural or intended fluoridation of drinking water higher than 1 ppm, fluoride consumed from drinking water and other foods and beverages, and the use of oral health products."

From the second article...

"The bottom line is to enjoy your favorite tea, but like everything else, drink it in moderation."
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Well if I die from too much fluoride, at least I'll have a nice set of teeth
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Though I drink my tea black, so though strong, my teeth will be stained
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I have ammased a vast supply of colander and sauce pan hats if you need one :)

Are you a pastafarian by ant chance?
    RECOVERING pastafarian!
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I liked the article from the Linus Pauling Institute:

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/phytochemicals/tea/

It seems like you want to limit your consumption of most tea to less than 2 liters a day, just to follow government guidelines for fluoride consumption. Now, this is real tea made from actual tea leaves. Not tea-flavored drinks. Those are just gross and should never be consumed anyway. :)

Also, who is drinking 2 liters of brewed tea per day?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between nurses and professors with their doctorates in nutrition science that actually do legitimate research. Sure, nurses are knowledgeable in their field, but that doesn't include a whole lot of training on how the body processes chemicals.

Also, I don't understand why people think any kind of guidelines given by the government must be wrong.