Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty Trilogy

Options
13»

Replies

• Hmwarren84
    Hmwarren84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    These were very good books. But keep in mind, if you thought 50 shades was "hardcore" you are probably going to have a heart attack reading these.

True.

She speaketh the truth!

Agreed!
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I did read the Anne Rice's Sleeping Beauty Trilogy. I borrowed them from the library and even the covers were racy. I was careful to hide them while reading on the train, and often blushing at the content.

I have not read the 50 Shades as I'm into other things right now, but thanks form reminding me of the amusing way I plowed through those a few summers ago.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I read the first one in high school but never finished the trilogy. I must correct this asap.....
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I saw these at Books A Mil the other day. I wondered if they were any good.

At your mother-in-laws? She's hardcore! Give that woman a hug!
    Lmao. I believe she meant Books A Million. It's a book store.

Never heard of it!! Bwahahahahaha!
    Not surprising. Most of them shut down.

I now want to open a book store called Books from your MIL

I just hurt my side stifling this laugh just now!
    Let the laughter flow. Let everyone around you think you're crazy.

My "Books from your MIL" selection would probably just consist of trashy Mexican romance novels. Kinda lame.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I read that triology before 50 Shades. I liked the 50 shades better because there was a love story behind it, Sleeping Beauty was more hardcore than 50 Shades and it was hard to stomach at times but I think it's because I was so innocent to all of that stuff. Plus I really wasn't turned on by the guy on guy stuff, all the stuff that happend with Beauty was fine though.
    If 50 shades is considered a love story....oh lord. We're in trouble.

If you made it through all 3 books you would've seen the love story in 50 Shades. By the time you get to the 3rd book, however, you do get bored with the sex stuff, because it's all the same. With Sleepying Beauty, I would've been fine if not for all the guy on guy on guy on guy stuff. I was fine with 'love' story between Tristan (I think) and his Master and the S&M stuff was fine too.
  • polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend the Kushiel series, for people interested in S&M and fantasy.

Personally, I think the 50 Shades books are pretty bad, but entertaining. It doesn't make someone stupid or not into S&M if they enjoy them.

*wanders off to do some research*

I re-read the Sleeping Beauty trilogy just recently. Unfortunately wasted a week reading the 50 Shades....
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I read that triology before 50 Shades. I liked the 50 shades better because there was a love story behind it, Sleeping Beauty was more hardcore than 50 Shades and it was hard to stomach at times but I think it's because I was so innocent to all of that stuff. Plus I really wasn't turned on by the guy on guy stuff, all the stuff that happend with Beauty was fine though.

If you made it through all 3 books you would've seen the love story in 50 Shades. By the time you get to the 3rd book, however, you do get bored with the sex stuff, because it's all the same. With Sleepying Beauty, I would've been fine if not for all the guy on guy on guy on guy stuff. I was fine with 'love' story between Tristan (I think) and his Master and the S&M stuff was fine too.
    I'm not going to read some crappy Twilight fan fiction if I want a "love story".
  • lauraleeearle
    Options
    I love everything that Anne Rice has written, except for her most recent novels. "The Witching Hour" is my favorite. In my opinion "Fifty Shades" is overrated and badly written. The narrator sounds like a twelve year old girl swooning over a crush. The constant "Oh mys" and "Holy cows" were really annoying.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I have these on audiobook. Let's just say I did some major blushing at the gym lol.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend the Kushiel series, for people interested in S&M and fantasy.

Personally, I think the 50 Shades books are pretty bad, but entertaining. It doesn't make someone stupid or not into S&M if they enjoy them.

None of us think ppl who enjoyed 50 Shades is/are stupid...just misguided...lol
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Caveat: BDSM or kink is not about love at all. It's about an exchange of power, someone surrenders, the other does not.

So, those of us that find 50 Shades to be horrible, it's because it's not a true representation of Kink or BDSM at ALL...it's a love story and if that is what you want, that is what it is...it's still horribly written and my daughter has better grammar but regardless it IS a love story.

Those of us looking for a true representation of the power exchange between two individuals in a consensual, often sexual but doesn't have to be way, then the sleeping Beauty trilogy is an excellent examination of that. So is Pauline Reage's story of O. (and a few others)

but the point i think is, Kink and BDSM are not about love, that's not to say people that practice these things don't HAVE love or find ways to share their kink with their love and romance in their life. But the two aren't hand in hand. They don't come together. It's a mix and match...you can have kink and love, or kink and no love, or no kink and love or no kink and no love...

and for that, the sleeping beauty trilogy and other BDSM friendly storylines will run true.

and THAT is what i think most of us that love the Sleeping Beauty trilogy are trying to say here...

it's real...it's more real, more consistent with the lifestyle than 50 shades will ever be.

thanks!

Lauren
  • Shelbert79
    Options

I'm not going to read some crappy Twilight fan fiction if I want a "love story".

I don't typically read love stories, they make me want to gag. And when I do read books like Twilight, 50 Shades and, yes, even Sleeping Beauty, I tend to skim over the repetitive stuff. I don't think I've ever read the word '****' as many times as I did in Sleeping Beauty, just like you see and read the words 'my sex' in 50 Shades, or how beautiful Edward is in Twilight.
  • gracefulotus
    Options
    Anais Nin - Delta of Venus. The book is composed of a series of short stories.

A writer who wrote erotica in a beautiful poetic manner. Some of the stories are, however, very much on the boundary for some people. Raises all kinds of questions about what you may find erotic.

P.s. I can't stand Twillight. Picked up the first book and read the first page and decided that it was simply not for me. Haven't read 50 Shades of Grey. Have picked it up on the bookshop and flicked through it, but wasn't entirely sold on it. If you're looking for supernatural BDSM, there is the Anita Blake vampire series by L. K. Hamilton. First 5 books start of quite normal, then of all sudden things get very strange... very strange i.e. the introduction of BDSM in a very unique manner due to the supernatural element of the shapeshifters ability to heal themselves after being sexually (?) tortured. Not my cup of tea to be honest.
  • Shelbert79
    Options
    And I didn't say I didn't LIKE the books, just that I DID like 50 Shades. The friend who suggested Sleeping Beauty also said I should read the Witching Hour (?), is that similar?
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    And I didn't say I didn't LIKE the books, just that I DID like 50 Shades. The friend who suggested Sleeping Beauty also said I should read the Witching Hour (?), is that similar?

Witching Hour was something completely different if I remember correctly. I do remember loving it though.

here.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Witching_Hour_(novel)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I read all the vampire chronicle books, absolutely loved them. They had their "moments" believe it or not. I must check out this sleeping beauty business.
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I love Anne Rice and never got around to reading these, so when I saw they rereleased it recently, I hopped on the chance to get them. Nyahaha~
  • VChristy07
    VChristy07 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    did you check under her pen name? A N Roquelaure? That's how they were originally published. I just saw an email from B&N that it is being released under her real name.
  • tubway
    tubway Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Read most of the first one but got bored. Maybe I should finish it?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I read the first two and didn't much care for them. I thought it was very repetitive. The second book was just like the first one except in The Village.