Bowel issues...

Options

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I suffered with this for years before finally getting a great doctor who said, "Instead of using laxatives to treat the symptoms, how about we determine what's CAUSING this and deal with that so you can actually improve your health rather than just mask the symptoms? Your body is telling you something's wrong. Let's try to fix it."

To make a long story short we found that the problem (in my case at least) is that my digestive system will not tolerate certain foods. Specifically, wheat/gluten, dairy products, and apparently my gut doesn't like corn meal either. If I eat correctly the plumbing works! If I ingest something my body can't handle, my gut goes on strike and makes me regret it big time. I usually get a nasty headache and sometimes muscle aches (neck/shoulders) as initial symptoms, and within 24 hours I realize I have gut lock. ::sigh::

It's made me much more careful about what I eat, that's for sure.

The best way I've found to get things moving again is to take slippery elm bark capsules, flax seed oil, and magnesium citrate capsules, along with a full coffee mug of warm water. I've also learned to supplement with more magnesium citrate if I have a meal that's high in calcium like my breakfast smoothie (made with almond milk but there's a lot of calcium in it.) Calcium is another thing that can cause constipation. Magnesium tends to loosen things up, and it also relaxes the muscle spasms I get when my digestive system is out of wack.

Hope that gives you some ideas to look into. Good luck.
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    my dad takes culturelle probiotic supplement and metamucil every day. Also I know when I have trouble if I mix 2 oz prune juice and 2 oz purple grape juice and drink that every morning, it helps. (I cant stand straight prune juice. it is gaggy)
  • JuliePleasant
    JuliePleasant Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    ***** I have the same issues! I am learning lots from reading all of the posts! ************
  • SHAMLEYCHAR
    Options
    thats a good idea the mineral oil thing i think im gonna try that.....or olive oil maybe???? you think???
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I did not read everyones responses so maybe its been said-
    For 10 or so years I ate a lot of low fat products. I have always needed to lose about 10-15 or so lbs- so I used to believe it would help me lose or if nothing else not gain more if I ate low or no fat as possible.
    Yet, this didnt work- I may not have gotten huge- but it really got me nothing as far as weight loss or better health. I also had trouble daily going to the bathroom. Sometimes I just skipped and thought nothing of it- other times - well- for lack of TMI- lets just say- low fat I believe is the reason I am in your thread...

When I learned how to eat better and that fat isnt the enemy and that we NEED it- my body got happy and all things now move along just as they should. I cant believe how not eating enough GOOD FATS was wrecking my digestion. I never felt bloated or crampy or in any other way poorly. I just feel tons better now, more energy and just more at home in my body if that makes sense.

So a good BALANCED diet may help- and Id bet it wont hurt :flowerforyou:
  • Bluebox32
    Bluebox32 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have had these type of issues for about 15 years. I have IBS-C and have a ton of food intolerances. I have to watch my fiber intake, personally I follow a low fiber diet which make my IBS-C even worse. If I dont do the things below I can go almost a week and a half and have nothing leave my system. (When I was a kid I remember I used to only use the bathroom once a week and I would cry each and everytime I went, my mom thought it was normal and I never went to a Dr.for it)

This is what I do to help things move along.
    Eat Yogurt
    Use Miralax nightly
    Use Soluable Gummies Daily
    Add Chia Seeds to my drinks and yogurt
    Drink plenty of water
    Add Flax Seed oil to smoothies or foods
    I use enema's if I get really uncomfortable.

I have had these issue since I was a kid and things got really bad once I hit my 20's.. I had all the tests possible done and I had a colonscopy done. Everything came back normal and I was told I have IBS and cronic constiptation.

I have tried probiotics and I did not notice a difference.
    I have also tried digestive enzymes that were recommended to me and they did not make any difference.
    I have a ton of issues with food in general. I understand your frustration and it may take you a long time to figure out what works for you.
  • smu_sweetheart
    Options
    I had a similar problem when I lost quite a bit of weight. It got so bad that I would only go every 10 days or so and I ended up seeing a GI Doc that specializes in IBS. After a battery of test, the conclusion he came to was that I did not have enough fat in my diet.

Some tips he told me where to try to eat more fiberous foods- black beans, lentils, sweet potatoes.... Drink more water and stay away from artifical sweetners. He said he has quite a few patients that have problems with artifical sweetners. Walk after each meal for 15 mins if you can (helps with mobility in the GI track). He also said stay away from laxatives except for Miralax. He told me that he doesn't necessarily encourage the use of Miralax daily, but that for some of his patients that is the only way they can find relief. He said it's fine to mix a tablespoon in with coffee or water once daily if needed, but strongly encouraged me to try eat a higher fat/ fiber diet.

Also he said that soem medications can cause constipation so if you started taking an new medications on a reqular basis you might want to double check and see if the side effects include digestive issues.
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    OK, I am having this same problem (:blushing:) and not sure why after looking over everyone's advice...
    - I run everyday
    - I eat fiber/bran
    - I have 1/2 an avocado everyday (fats)
    - I drink a LOT of water (peeing, I got that covered!)
    - I drink a cup of coffee every morning

.... and yet, I feel like I didn't lose weight this week due to the fact that I'm backed up - yeah, its like THAT

HOW OFTEN ARE YOU *SUPPOSED* TO GO????
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    OK, I am having this same problem (:blushing:) and not sure why after looking over everyone's advice...
    - I run everyday
    - I eat fiber/bran

.... and yet, I feel like I didn't lose weight this week due to the fact that I'm backed up - yeah, its like THAT

You're fat intake is pretty low. And if you're used to coffee, it might take more than for someone who isn't used to drinking it.
  • Kathy535
    Kathy535 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I second the flax seeds / linseeds suggestion. I have similar problems but I've found if I take 1-2 teaspoons a day (usually sprinkled on food otherwise they can be a tad difficult to swallow!) then everything gets a lot more regular. When I stop the problem comes back.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    - I run everyday
    - I eat fiber/bran

You are way too low on fat. try and get all the fat the MFP recommends for you, not less than that amount.

How often. It differs but from everything I have read it should be at least once every 2 days up to once/meal (3-5 times/day).
  • ibcsrl19
    ibcsrl19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes, my gastro dr put me on a daily dose of dulcalax. There are not suppose to be any long term effects. Seems to work for me, better than Miralax.
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    - I run everyday
    - I eat fiber/bran

You are way too low on fat. try and get all the fat the MFP recommends for you, not less than that amount.

How often. It differs but from everything I have read it should be at least once every 2 days up to once/meal (3-5 times/day).

Did I read that correctly???! 3 to 5 times A DAY?

And as far as adding fat to my diet, I am not conscientiously trying to keep it low, that's just how it ends up. Any suggestions on snacks I can add?
  • tat2dmrsgrimm
    tat2dmrsgrimm Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    nuts have healthy fats and protein
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    seriously try going gluten and lactose free.... it has helped me so much and its not as hard as most people think. Like metioned before have some healthy fats and drink lots of water!
  • barmum
    barmum Posts: 73
    Options
    Yes , always have had .. Try Sweet Tamarind , about 5 will give you the runs but theres also things like Liquorice root tea which will do the job x
  • tinytinam
    tinytinam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Think about a course of colonic irrigation. It makes a huge difference and you can really see the difference in your skin afterwards, with all the toxins taken out of your body. I use cold pressed flaxseed. Be careful of too much wheat fibre, it can be really harsh on the system. Actually cut out wheat altogether for a little while and see if it makes a difference. Use oats, rye, rice cakes, buckwheat etc. and as much raw foods and whole foods as possible. Talk to a good nutritionist, they have more knowledge about how you should be than most doctors.

I go probably every other day or every day now doing this. My husband goes 4 times a day every day! I would hate that so much!
  • LeRevCooper
    Options
    Yikes!
  • kellya252
    kellya252 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try any yogurt with live cultures, that's what works for me. I have a 1/2 cup once a day, and it's a treat too. :)

My MIL swears by nuts. She eats a couple of tablespoons worth everyday. I know cashews work for some.

I saw that you don't drink coffee. A cup of hot tea in the morning after breakfast might help too.

Don't underestimate the need to be relaxed when you have the urge to go. There's a reason why some like to read in the bathroom, or have a radio/music to listen to.

Just some ideas. Hope you get it figured out soon. :)
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Try Phillips Probiotics. Once a day with a meal. Regulates this issue (either way) by adding good bacteria to your digestive tract that fights the bad bacteria.

I second this. I also used to be 'occasional', but started taking probiotic blend (Costco carries them) and am just a regular old person now. :-)