Steamed veggies

Options
Are steaming veggies in l the microwave a good idea to cook them?

Replies

• safiresp04
    Options
    Not really. Microwaving veggies typically destroys a good amount of the nutrients. Always try to steam them on the stove, roast them in the over, or saute with a little cooking spray. Microwaving is OK in a pinch, but try not to make it a habit.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I've heard overcooking veggies can take some of the nutrition out of them... if you're cooking them till they're soggy you may want to change it up a bit, but if you're just steaming them to make them hot and a little bit softer, I'd imagine you should be okay. Hopefully others will have more concrete info for you...

Personally I try to eat most of my veggies raw, except things like asparagus & squash that pretty much have to be cooked.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I was curious so I did a quick search - found the following article. Has some interesting info - obviously it's just one article and not a definitive source on the topic, but figured I'd post it nonetheless.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/17real.html?_r=1
  • missykaye1975
    Options

That's how I always do them if I'm not sauteeing them in a saucepan for a stir fry! If they are frozen, sprinkle some natural sweetener (like Xylitol - called Xylo Sweet) on top, along with a little salt. Cover and cook a few min. depending on how much you are cooking. If they are fresh veggies, you need to add just a little water in addition to the sweetener and salt to create the steam needed for cooking. Be sure to cover to keep the steam in and cook.

I know there are some people against "microwaving" anything, but for me, this is a fast and efficient way to steam them in their own juices. :tongue:
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    If you want to steam veggies you're better off steaming them lightly on the stove top.
  • missykaye1975
    Options
    I was curious so I did a quick search - found the following article. Has some interesting info - obviously it's just one article and not a definitive source on the topic, but figured I'd post it nonetheless.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/17real.html?_r=1

I like this article....makes sense to me. If you add a ton of water ANY time you are cooking veggies, it's going to steep the nutrients right out and you'll end up pouring them down the drain when you strain the veggies. I have never had a problem with cooking them in the microwave, and I've never had a problem with using frozen veggies either. They are picked and frozen at their "peak", which often times is better than buying fresh veggies that have sat on the shelves too long. JMO....:happy: Happy cooking!!
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options

That's how I always do them if I'm not sauteeing them in a saucepan for a stir fry! If they are frozen, sprinkle some natural sweetener (like Xylitol - called Xylo Sweet) on top, along with a little salt. Cover and cook a few min. depending on how much you are cooking. If they are fresh veggies, you need to add just a little water in addition to the sweetener and salt to create the steam needed for cooking. Be sure to cover to keep the steam in and cook.

I know there are some people against "microwaving" anything, but for me, this is a fast and efficient way to steam them in their own juices. :tongue:

Stir fry vegetables with natural sweetner FTW!:smile:
  • missykaye1975
    Options

Stir fry vegetables with natural sweetner FTW!:smile:

They are SOO good that way! I have stir fry just about every day with some sort of protein for one of my meals. The sweetener (I always use natural) and the salt/spices really compliment each other. (Not sure what FTW is?? :smile: )