My 51 year, one month water revelation

Options
This morning, I walked 37 minutes in the 87 degree, 52 percent humidity Houston summer. My new routine is to walk, then sit at my computer and either be productive or, better yet, get on here and catch up with people and topics while my body stops producing massive quantity of "fat tears."

Now, I am one of those "I hate water" types who will drink diet beverages, coffee, etc., but not straight water. I have no idea why, but that is me. In order to understand this post, you need to know how my computer is set up. The right edge of the hard drive is literally four inches from the side-by-side refrigerator-freezer. The outside of the freezer compartment has a water and ice dispenser that-- for my wife, anyway-- has dispensed cool, clear, fresh, filtered water for the past several years. But not for me. Until today, I have only used the contraption maybe three times.

Anyway, I am sitting here schvitzing (look it up in a good online Yiddish-English translator), waiting so that I can take a shower and get to the office. I thought to myself, "gee, I'm kinda thirsty, but (now remember, I'm literally a foot from the refrigerator door) I'm too tired to get up and get a beverage. I looked down at my table top and noticed a glass from which I consumed a cherry flavored Fresca earlier this morning. Then I looked at the water dispenser. I scrunched up my nose and said, "ugh... it's filtered water. How bad can it be." So I pushed the 20 oz. glass against the dispenser thingamabob and filled it up. And drank it. "Oh man, this is pretty good," I thought as I consumed the entire glass. But I was still thirsty. So I filled and drained another 20 oz. glass. And then the strangest thing happened. I suddenly realized that the fatigue I had been feeling after walking had been caused by not drinking enough.

Now I know that many of you are face palming yourselves (and wanting to seriously face palm me) and saying, "DUH. Ya think so? I mean, you're over 450 pounds and exercising in a humid Texas Gulf Coast hellscape. Did you really THINK you didn't NEED to drink water?" Well, yeah, I knew that I did, but I didn't want to. But now that I have.... I think I'll have ONE more glass before I hit the shower.

Sometimes it takes 51 years and one month to learn what you should have known all along.

Scott in Houston, Tx.

Replies

• faengel
    faengel Posts: 14
    Options
    I am with you Scott, I DO NOT like water. Have been forcing myself to drink 4 cups a day. You have inspired me to go to the water cooler and fill up the bottle.
    You should be proud of yourself for walking in that heat/humidity....don't know if I could do it.
    Have a great day.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Proper hydration is a full time job. It starts when you wake up in the morning and ends when you go to sleep. You should be drinking water all day long. You'll notice the difference.
  • Sassy_Cass
    Sassy_Cass Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    you are hilarious - good job on reaching for some H2O and enjoying it. The more you drink the better it is (generally) and eventually it becomes a habit, it is a continual excuse to get up and take a walk to the bathroom, a much needed watercooler chat or just a general "yeah, I am pretty healthy. I love water" pick me up.

Keep it up - see you can teach an "old" dog new tricks :)
  • ba18ba18a
    Options
    Way to go, Scott. Some days I love the water, some days notsomuch. I do notice that it makes walking a whole lot easier when I'm properly hydrated. Every day is a new day to learn a new lesson, good job today.

Barbara
    Houston, TX
    :)
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I haven't been a fan of straight water but as I have with healthier foods, I've been "training" my tastebuds to enjoy it more. And that begins with drinking it regularly and it doesn't have to be an all or nothing approach.

I have always drunk (drank?) a lot of crystal light since I started losing weight. But my hubby started encouraging me to drink plain water... thats what he did. So started small. Made the committment to have 16 oz of plain water with each meal. That worked well. Now I'm at the point that I consciously try to choose water but if I'm not in the mood for it I stick to having a 16 oz bottle of plain water every other beverage. I'm always drinking something so I do get my water/fluids in.
  • jimgatewood
    jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Good post! I really enjoy good writing.

21604338.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • KittenKittyKitteh
    KittenKittyKitteh Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Too funny! Old habits do die hard! I like mine icy with True Lemon. (I still sneak in a Pepsi Next every couple of days)