Thinking about a low carb diet-any suggestions?

Options
My doctor recently suggested that I go on the Mediterranean diet. In researching it online I find it to be terribly restrictive so I'm not sure I will start it. I am thinking, however, of starting a diabetic diet (low carb) although I'm not diabetic - but possibly pre-diabetic. I've done quite a bit of online research on this also, but does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks!

Replies

• RT342
    RT342 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Vegetables vegetables vegetables!

Cut out breads and sugars as much as possible (some are okay sometimes, just not with every meal). Amp up your exercise and replace 95% of your drinks with water. You'll notice a big difference fast.
  • cvealb
    cvealb Posts: 8
    Options
    Primal. Check out website: Mark's Daily Apple.
  • sharon1dunne
    Options
    Low carb diets are great, I lost over 40kgs with it. Keep away from pasta, bread, potato and rice.

Other than that it is pretty easy. You will get use to not eating the above :) And I have kept my weight off now for 1.5yrs. Agree on the water, I drink over 2lts a day.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Its not easy because in order to get your calories in you end up racking up the carbs unless you want to live on veggies. But you CAN eat low carb if you up your protein levels with meats and fish. I try to keep my carbs around 105g a day but I will go over on occasion to treat myself....just not WAY over. They make lots of low net carb products for diabetics.
  • SmallMimi
    SmallMimi Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    borderline diabetic here until I cut my carbs. Definitely cut out or down potatoes, breads, rice (anything White) Have lost 70 pounds so far. Exercise, Exercise, Exercise and drink losts of water! Also watch which fruits you eat as many are very high carbs, pick the ones with a good amount of fiber to help offset the carbs.
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Primal. Check out website: Mark's Daily Apple.

^^^This. 120%
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    On days I do low carb, these are tips I found helpful:

Ween things off bit by bit (breads, fruit, grains, legumes).
    Allow *some* fruit, but don't over do it (research which fruits you like that also have lower carbs).
    Buy full fat things, as they are lower in carbs because less sugar is added. I love my 10% Greek Yogurt!
    Bulk your meals up with vegetables, salads are great!
    Nuts and nut butters are great and filling.
    Look up recipes that are lower carb, but still satisfy your sweet tooth. I just made some brownies out of beans, I wasn't trying to make them low carb- but you certainly could if you wanted to!
    Basically, watch out for sugar. That's the biggie, as RT342 said :)
    Good luck :)
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    If you're a redditor and are looking at ketosis (less than 20g carbs a day), there's /r/keto. It's easy once your body adapts! You eat more whole foods! I've discovered that I actually like more veggies than I thought I did. I also get super full on fatty meats (like ribeye, pork, etc.) and don't really feel hungry anymore so I usually blow all my calories in the evening.

And yes, drinking fluids is a BIG part of it!

In the end, you'll never know if it's right for you unless you try it out! Good luck, feel free to add me if you need some low carb friends :)
  • LANIECE1
    LANIECE1 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    i think I will check it out myself. thanks everyone
  • grayprae
    grayprae Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    my husband as lost 100 pounds on it and just got a yearly check up and everything was good
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Go Primal. Best thing I ever did. http://www.marksdailyapple.com
  • Caralynl
    Caralynl Posts: 43
    Options
    I'm confused about how many carbs per day is considered LOW. You say you try to keep yours at 105/day? I recently read that 20-50 is considered a low carb program - anything above that is considered high. Can you expand on this? Thanks!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about how many carbs per day is considered LOW. You say you try to keep yours at 105/day? I recently read that 20-50 is considered a low carb program - anything above that is considered high. Can you expand on this? Thanks!

Ketosis (very low carb) is usually less than 20g a day. Low carb can mean up to 100g a day, I think.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!