Are Kettlebells an effective way of strength training?

Options
I'm trying to decide whether to book a Kettlebell class or brave the weight room in my work's gym. Is there anybody who knows about both and can compare them and advise me? Thanks!

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Do both! Because kettlebells use a dynamic motion there's a strong aerobic element so a class will be more like a circuit class. They'll probably use lighter weights with high reps because of the duration of the class, so some nay-sayers will say it doesn't count as strength training.

However if I only have time for one exercise in a day I'll do kettlebell swings. It uses lots of muscles at once and burns calories too, and I credit it with helping me wear skirts without my thighs rubbing together this summer!

If you brave the weights room, get a gym trainer to show you the ropes, or check out technique in a book like New Rules Of Lifting for Women or Google "beginner's weight training" for some ideas. There's certainly nothing to be scared of.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I haven't dared do the weights yet and got zero encouragement from the trainer I asked, but I do enjoy my kettlebell workouts. Best thing is I can see a lot of the movements echoing real life, ie, I don't lie on a bench pushing things up in real life, but I do have to lift things onto shelves etc. I'm not saying no to the weights, just that my kettlebells experience has been more positive so far.
  • jwintonyk
    jwintonyk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you're using the kettlebell properly with good form and a variety of movements they're probably one of the best/most diverse pieces of equipment you can use. I have them in my home gym and love them!
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells rock. They are versatile, great from strength training, core training and cardio training, work multiple major muscle groups. Cannot reccomend them highly enough.

As previously mentioned, correct form is imperitive, take a class or two and then see how you go.
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have used Sarah Lurie's Iron Core Kettlebell workouts now for 6 months, several times a week. They are 25 minute workouts. I have worked my way up from one ten lb kettlebell to two 20 lb kettlebells (about 1/3 my body weight). I have also lost 11 lb though the exercise and a low calorie deficit via tracking on MFP. Last night there was a friends gathering and I got a lot of comments on to the effect of " you look buff". or "you look thin". When I was the same weight previously and running regularly, I never got those comments. I think that is because my upper body is now toned for the first time in my life. My arms/neck.upper chest are usually more visible than my legs, and that is what people see. Incidentally when I was the same weight previously from running, I was also a size larger. Somehow the kettlebells are really effective at toning all over. I also enjoy the workouts, it's a lot easier than running, which I had to decrease due to my hurting knees.

So definitely a convert here. Incidentally we have learned entirely from the Sarah Lurie videos as well as youtube technique videos, I don't belong to a gym.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels also has a good intro kettlebells video available on Amazon - its a good way to try it out at home (you can use a hand weight) to see if you like the concept. I think in an either-or situation the kettlebells are a good way to go since you get cardio and core at the same time as strength training.
  • Sheila_Ann
    Sheila_Ann Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells rock. They are versatile, great from strength training, core training and cardio training, work multiple major muscle groups. Cannot reccomend them highly enough.

As previously mentioned, correct form is imperitive, take a class or two and then see how you go.

^This 100%! I use them all the time with my trainer and LOVE them!
  • dldnvr
    dldnvr Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Agree Kettlebells good. But must know how to use correctly so as not to hurt yourself. Class or a couple times with a trainer highly recommented.
  • ardavis23
    ardavis23 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    :smile: Kettlebells....... = AMAZING!!!!!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I do both :-)

Kettlebells are much more of a cardio workout too rather than just strength, especially things like swings. I'd go to a class or two to make sure you have the proper technique, and then add them to your workout routine!

If you use them at home, I have an app for my phone called 'fitness buddy', it has loads of kettlebell exercises along with photos of how to do them properly and a desciption of which body parts they work, so you can mix up your workout and keep it interesting :-)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels also has a good intro kettlebells video available on Amazon - its a good way to try it out at home (you can use a hand weight) to see if you like the concept. I think in an either-or situation the kettlebells are a good way to go since you get cardio and core at the same time as strength training.

The Jillian Michaels kettlebell DVDs are awful. The form she illustrates is very poor form and will get somebody hurt. She has been heavily criticized for using very poor form that you can only get away with when working with the very light weights she has people using. Moving up to heavier weights and following her cues you WILL injure your back.
  • scrappy25
    scrappy25 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Oops- must have crossposted with above. My comment is much milder.

I love Jillian workouts but her kettlebell workout does not emphasize form enough for beginners. Basheera actually has better form than Jillian does. Similarly the kettleworx program also does not emphasze form. Form is probably the most important thing in kettlebell training.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I do both. Form is critical for both. I would say if you have a class available to you, you should take it. Make sure in the class they are actually TEACHING you proper form and technique not just how to burn a bunch of calories.

I can't imagine for a second learning kettlebells at home from a dvd. Though, I guess it would depend on how heavy they are.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    KB's vs. DB's are virtually the same thing, each just has a different center of gravity which will stimulate the muscle you're working differently.

A KB class is probably a little more cardio oriented whereas strength training is strength training. I could be wrong but that's what I've observed at my gym with those "strength training" classes.
  • ElizaDnl
    ElizaDnl Posts: 46
    Options
    Thank you for your input, everybody! :flowerforyou: Sounds like Kettlebells are well worth trying!
  • roduk
    roduk Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    do a kettlebell class it will motivate you more, more sociable, and you'll have a routine to follow ie the instructor, going to the weights room you may get lost in all the weights, reps sets. kettlebells are great for strength and conditioning. if you want to build huge muscle which i doubt you do then that can only really be achieved in the weights room.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Considering they're used on the biggest loser and by crossfit-ers, I'd say they have their benefits.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    kettlebells are freaking awesome. Use heavy ones (as in not 5lbs)... they are great! and brave the weight room. do it all!
  • Katahna
    Katahna Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Anything that weighs something is good for strength training.... lol.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes, I use 12 or 18 (my own at home) or up to 24, depending on what we are doing, start of light and build up slow....... Love them and yes they work ...................... xxxxx Weight weights weights xxx