vending machine at gym?!?!

Options

Replies

• Wildheart_Baby
    Wildheart_Baby Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the leisure centre I use has a vending machine, full of chocolate bars and crisps and one for drinks full of coke products, although that does include sports drinks.

It staggers me, that a place dedicated to health and fitness would have such unhealthy options easily available, I realise that not everyone visiting is going to be using the pool, or gyms, parents there for swimming lessons and that but it just seems counter intuitive. I guess this is just the way things are now and I suppose we should just accept that they are looking to make money to support the centre but I get slightly annoyed when I see kids who have played in the pool rather that actually swimming/exercising, scarfing down some chocolatey treat or packet of crisps/chips.

It would be nice if there were at least a few healthier options available.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    What is this "bending machine" is that for girls only?
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    money. next to my old gym there is an ice cream shop and a sandwich shop.lol its not fair.
  • mmimmi1
    mmimmi1 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    This makes me laugh, because right next to my gym there's a BBQ Wild Wings ... talking about smelling of greasy wings and what not when you come outta the gym ... plus ppl hanging out in the parking lot or right outside the door smoking, looking at you like you're a looser walking out/in the gym on Friday night. :) There is nothing to be done in my case, but I would definately complain about the vending machine or just make sure you do not bring your purse in or any change or cash.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    There's a pizza place right next to my gym, and Burger King shares the same parking lot! :wink: - it always smells so good when I leave!

yup. I've got an arby's across the lot and a KFC on the other side of the street. and have eaten at both within minutes of leaving the gym.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    At a big corporate gym I used to belong to; once a month there was pizza, chips,wings, and soda night for the members! Right next to the treadmills. Evil!
  • gkwalthew
    Options
    My gym is directly behind the local McDonalds...
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the leisure centre I use has a vending machine, full of chocolate bars and crisps and one for drinks full of coke products, although that does include sports drinks.

It staggers me, that a place dedicated to health and fitness would have such unhealthy options easily available, I realise that not everyone visiting is going to be using the pool, or gyms, parents there for swimming lessons and that but it just seems counter intuitive. I guess this is just the way things are now and I suppose we should just accept that they are looking to make money to support the centre but I get slightly annoyed when I see kids who have played in the pool rather that actually swimming/exercising, scarfing down some chocolatey treat or packet of crisps/chips.

It would be nice if there were at least a few healthier options available.

while I don't buy into the fact that any vending machine food is unhealthy anyway -- the only unhealthy food is one eaten in excess, after all -- do you not believe one can be healthy and fit an enjoy sweet or savory treats now and again?
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    The health club that I used to go to has a vending machine full of what they called 'healthy' snacks. It consisted of Snickers & Payday candy bars, cheese & peanut butter crackers, jerky, pretzels, nuts, cheese & crackers, fritos, fruit snacks, etc. I guess someone's idea of healthy is different than mine. Not that I NEVER eat those because I do on occasion, I just make room for them in my diary.
    I do agree with one of the previous posts though, we are tempted by all types of 'bad things' all day long, and vending machines are just one more thing to conquer.
    Just don't take any money in with you. That always worked for me.
  • epmck11
    epmck11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    At my gym there is a guy selling beers in the parking lot.

This made me lol. :laugh:
  • Nettabee
    Nettabee Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Our gym (located on a university campus) has vending machines but i've never gone up to them. I always bring my own water for during workouts and protein shake and bar after and go home. Everyone who goes to the gym isn't restricting themselves for every worldly goodness in life like myself.

Luckily if I do want something more afterwards there is a Whole Foods across the street with an AWESOME salad bar! :blushing:
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    My gym has pizza night on Mondays and every 2nd Tuesday morning they do bagels from Panera. Just because they offer it doesn't mean I'm going to go and eat the pizza on Mondays or grab a bagel on Tuesday (although I'll admit, I will sometimes grab a half of the honey wheat one cause I love it and after a hard workout, I need some carbs :bigsmile:
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    My gym used to have a cool vending machine that sold sports equipment: tennis balls, shuttlecocks, swimming goggles, swimming caps etc. but alas, no more :(

We have the usual rubbish selling vending machines, too. The drinks ones have water and powerade and stuff, too but also fizzy juice. We also have a cafe which sells some healthier stuff, like fruits and sandwiches but a lot of junk eg. chips, hot dogs, ice cream, slushies etc. too. But yeah, I don't even register it is there any more.
  • cawmacomber
    Options
    I don't use gyms, but I can definitely see them having vending machines. I would think a good balance between "healthier" snacks as well as some "traditional" ones would be good. If I did use gyms, I would appreciate the opportunity to use a vending machine on days I would forget to bring a snack or am just flat out starved after a work out - it would stop me from going to a store or fast food joint. I don't care for the "protein" bars and drinks - but if I had the choice of a snickers - I would go for it in that situation. I've seen some protein snack calorie counts that are not much different from that of a candy/soda/juice.

On the plus side for sugary snacks: if you are diabetic or hypoglycemic or something else - you need the instant gratification of sugar to help boost blood sugar levels back to normal. If given a choice - my diabetic brother-in-law and co-workers hypoglycemic daughter would reach for the snickers before the protein bar to start blood sugar recovery. Juice - only if a quicker infusion is needed because they are getting close to sugar shock.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    One gym I used to go to had a 'bodybuilders cafe' with high-protein healthy foods prepared on-site. You wanted an epic protein powder filled omelette? No problem. Etc etc.

Damn I used to love that gym... Alas I had to move away from the area. Never seen another gym do the same thing, but i'm sure there must be...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with a vending machine outside a gym? It's not church. Nothing sacred there. They could put a donut shop outside my gym for all I care. No one has to stop and eat there, and if they do its their choice. Do gyms need that 300 foot rule like schools have with weapons? Once or twice I've even used a candy bar as an emergency pick me up on my way to the gym. This isn't killing anybody.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    My gym has a car sales yard next to it, doesn't mean I'm tempted to buy a car whenever I go to the gym.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Only reason I got married was because there was a chapel next to my gym.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Only reason I got married was because there was a chapel next to my gym.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • mikmurphy
    mikmurphy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    At my gym there is a guy selling beers in the parking lot.

This made me lol. :laugh:

My gym sells beer!!