Not enough carbs, too much sugar - what should I eat?

Options
Hey all

I'm always below what I need for carbs but usually above on sugar (I'm a bit of a sweet tooth). I'm FINALLY starting to see some results but it's taken ages and who knows, I could just be having a skinny day. Goal weight 62kg, current this morning was 66.4kg (max was over 70kg) :-). What do I need to eat more of? My budget is modest and won't stretch to 'superfoods'

Thanks in advance :-)

Replies

• shans91
    shans91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it.

A lot of people on calorie restriction try to eat more protein and fiber in order to feel fuller. Carbohydrates are mostly used for quick energy (unlike protein and fat which, although they can be used for energy, also serve a variety of other body functions). As a result, even if only 40 percent of your calories were coming from carbohydrates, you'd been fine.

Also, the sugar limit on MFP is way too low. They appear to have set the limit based on recommended maximums for added sugar, but then the nutritional information includes all sugar, including naturally occurring sugars.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Could you set your diary to public so that we can see what you're eating?
  • sarahcuddle
    sarahcuddle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just try to limit it to one non-fruit sugary treat per day and not worry about it. Good carbs are things like oats, rice (Brown or basmati rice is good) and things like cous cous and sweet potatoes. These foods will keep your blood sugars on an even keel so hopefully you don't need to reach for the unhealthy sugar so often.
  • shans91
    shans91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My diary is now set to public.

A little more background: I'm a full time student who used to study engineering (read: no time or sleep) but I now study science. I usually eats brekky in my room (mostly oats), lunch at the dining hall, and go home for dinner. I have a sweet tooth which seems worse than it is cos MFP's allowable sugar levels are really low. Finally, I'm really determined to lose that last bit - I took side on and front on pics a couple of weeks ago and stuck them on my mirror. I can already see the difference! That's motivating me to keep going.
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    No such thing as not enough carbs. You don't physically need any although they are nice to have. They are and always will be the only macro that is optional. The other two you have to have.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Your carbs are fine. I'd concentrate on reducing your sugar a bit, and look at the carbs goal as a maximum, so staying under it is good.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hey all

I'm always below what I need for carbs but usually above on sugar (I'm a bit of a sweet tooth). I'm FINALLY starting to see some results but it's taken ages and who knows, I could just be having a skinny day. Goal weight 62kg, current this morning was 66.4kg (max was over 70kg) :-). What do I need to eat more of? My budget is modest and won't stretch to 'superfoods'

Thanks in advance :-)

Personally, I would take off the sugar tracker and put on the fiber tracker...

ditch the bread, sweet potato, and pasta most of the time. I have eggs and bacon for breakfast, a big salad or a wrap for lunch, and the same dinner that I make for the family and I manage to keep my total carbs at 130g or less per day. Feel free to flip through my food diary to see how I incorporate MY treats