Im so upset

Options
so i just went on the scale and i havent moved/ made any progress. even though i dont think numbers matter im still really let down by this...but why?

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at it? I looked at your diary and you only have one day filled in and you only ate 800cals.
  • Esther50
    Esther50 Posts: 252
    Options
    Yea see your one day also, check out posts on starvation mode, lot of help there,
  • Esther50
    Options
  • EyeBite
    EyeBite Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    How long have you been at it? I say give it more time. Hang in there!
  • jroselive2012
    Options

This is SUCH a good link. I appreciated it a lot the other day when I read it too.
  • Esther50
    Options
    read this to help you make sure you are eating enough. Just found it posted by someone else.

Ive seen several new people confused about this. Ive tried to narrow down the debate to a very simple logical train of thought that should clarify the importance of not counting ONLY the calories you eat. You have a PLAN for your daily caloric deficit, not "eating back" your exercise calories ruins this plan and gives your body fewer calories than you planned on giving it.

example:

Your net caloric goal for the day is based on a total deficit deemed appropriate for your body. if you are supposed to have a 1,000 calorie deficit for the day to lose 2lb/wk and 1,500 calorie goal gives you that deficit, you need to think of it as a calorie ledger just like finances. think of exercise you do as a WITHDRAWAL from the calorie bank and food you eat is a DEPOSIT to the calorie bank. you start each day at 0 and you want your calorie bank BALANCE to be 1,500 by the end of the day. See the following example

[Example of eating back calories: body gets 1500 calories for the day]
    Wake up: 0 calories
    Breakfast: +600 calories
    Exercise: -200 calories
    Snack: +200 calories
    Lunch: +800 calories
    Snack: +200 calories
    Exercise: -500 calories
    Dinner: +400 calories
    Total Net calories for the day: 1,500 calories. You ate 2,200 calories but 700 calories of that were used by your exercise.

[Example of not eating back exercise calories]
    Breakfast: +500 calories
    Exercise -200 calories
    Snack: +50 calories
    Lunch: +500 calories
    Exercise: -500 Calories
    Dinner : +450 calories
    Total Net calories for the day: 800 calories. You ate your daily goal of 1500 calories, but almost half of it didnt actually go to your body, it was used by exercise. Your body should receive 1500 calorie in this example.

Your lifestyle burns 2500 calories a day, so a 1000 calorie deficit is your 2lbs/week weight loss deficit so you need to net 1500 calories a day.......but if you arent "eating back" your exercise calories you arent considering the full picture. you are adding all the exercise you do each day to your pre-planned 1,000 calorie/day deficit. your day to day deficit is completely unpredictable because it depends on your exercise. if you dont exercise your deficit is 1,000.......if you do a 1,000 calorie burn workout your deficit is 2,000. this is not right.

* this uses the example of a person with a 1500 caloric daily goal.....im not saying EVERYBODY has this goal, lol*

feel free to rebuttal on my take on this argument, but id say its difficult to argue with this logic. not "eating back" exercise calories is a wild card in your fitness plan and can cause your daily caloric deficit to be way too high. too high of a caloric deficit is bad. your body NEEDS calories to run

*EDIT ADDITION*
    IF CUTTING 1,000 CALORIES IS GOOD, THEN CUTTING 2,000 MUST BE GREAT, RIGHT?
    Wrong! somebody posted "you willl lose more weight on the second plan" thinking that if cutting a few calories is good, then cutting more must be better: This is untrue! read my comment below for more details. your body has an absolute minimum amount of calories its willing to work with, and if you drop below that level it will declare a food shortage and stop dropping the weight and holding onto everything it can get. stick to the recommended 2 pound per week maximum 1,000 calorie deficit. you might get away with a 2,000 calorie deficit for a while, but it wont last.....then you will have to fight your body back out of starvation mode.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If you are making an effort, that is all that matters! Don't fall into the scale trap. Take measurements of your arms, bust, waist, hips, and thighs; have someone take "before" pics of you. These are sooooooo much more reliable than the stupid scale!
  • masumaj
    masumaj Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    ive been logging my food in for a while, however there are days that i miss out, also i just finished with fasting for religious reasons so im just getting back to normal after eating some fried foods and so on but while i was eating like that i also drank plenty of water and got a workout in on most days........i just dont know how many calories o should be eating to loose weight, and im really bugged by this :(

p.s i do take measurements and i have lost inches all over my body and will hopefully loose more, i just started insanity today so hoping for some more results.......
  • Ceci1950
    Ceci1950 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. I have lost 47 pounds in six months but I have maintained my weight, even with staying at or about 1200 calories a day. However, when I measured I had lost 13 overall inches and a significant amount of that in the waist & abdomen area. Be sure to log everything you eat, no matter what it is, and just keep at it. If you are like most of us, you didn't gain it overnight and it isn't going away overnight either. I have allowed myself AT LEAST 18 months to lose 150 pounds and I am about on track at this point, even though my weight loss is slowing down. I am not able to exercise due to health problems, so it will be slower for me as time goes along I am sure. Even if I indulge in something heavy in calories, I log it...keeps me honest with myself and motivated to do better the next day.
  • masumaj
    masumaj Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Bump: i see it everywhere what does it mean
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Bump: i see it everywhere what does it mean

"Bump" is a word written in a post to deliberately bump the topic back to the top of the discussion board because it is a common question or noteworthy.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Don't feel discouraged, sweetie. :) It took awhile for anything to change for me. One of the things is learning how to balance food and exercise and making those changes. Others suggested looking at the posts they linked; they are helpful! You'll get there. :D But don't ever feel discouraged!
  • skoancie
    Options
    Don't give up. I had the same issue for quite some time. I'm finally starting to see a change. I'm following a diet plan and eating close to my recommended daily calories. Completing my food diary seems to really help. Good luck:)