B12 injections???????

Options
mscoco10
mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
So I went to my doctor to today and she advised I try weekly B12 injections. I've taken the pills before and didn't see a major difference. Anyone here currently doing the B12 injections and if so has it helped with your weight loss??? I'm going to give it a good 3 months. Hopefully I can get it together and finally drop 40 lbs or so.

Replies

• angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I tried them. They gave me nothing more than a sore *kitten*.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Were you B12 levels checked? Was this a real doctor or a 'weight loss clinic' doctor?

I get my B12 levels checked every year and they are well within normal. I also occasionally take a B supplement.

They won't help with weight loss, they do help prevent brain damage if you are low in B12 though.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of taking B12 for weight loss. I take B12 sublingual tablets because I have a deficiency/malabsorption problem.
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Some people lack a protein called intrinsic factor that is normally produced in the stomache, those people have trouble absorbing B12 from diet or supplements and need the shots. If your B12 is low and your doctor knows you've been taking the supplements, then he or she would reccommend the shots. :smile:
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My h was just tested after complaining about fatigue to his dr. He is low, but he is trying oral supplements for 6 months, then if those don't help, he will go to the shots. The bigger turn off about the shots for him was having to mess with going into the office once a week for months. So even if he can't digest b12 he is hoping to get the under-the-tongue kind.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'll stick with my plan of giving it the 3 months.
  • amber6231991
    amber6231991 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have to take B12 then it depends how much you have to take. Like my B12 was low so I have to take 1000mg a day to keep it up. It doesn't help with weight lose, it helps your body have energy that you need to not be tired as much.
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I take B12 shots once a month and I can see a difference in the rate I lose weight as well as my energy levels.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My brother in law takes them because he has had stomach reduction surgery. Apparently B-12 deficiency is a common side effect.
  • tree5981
    tree5981 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    B12 supplements did not work for me either. I take B-complex and it has multiple B vitamins and helped a GREAT deal for my energy. I feel a difference when I don't take them thats for sure. Didn't help me lose weight but it gives me energy to workout.
  • Thatsdatdiva601
    Thatsdatdiva601 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My dad gets b12 shot once a month and takes metformin and the weight has dropped off him. He lost 60lbs in 7months and is in much better health. He feels the b12 shots helped him with energy!
  • subtlewhisper
    subtlewhisper Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have B12 deficiency and am injected with 2000mcg three times a week. Yep, you read that right.... 6000mcg each and every week, for years.
    If anybody is looking to B12 as a quick fix for weight loss you are wasting your time. I didn't start to lose weight until I took responsiblity for what I was eating and stopped my sedentary lifestyle.

If you suspect that you are B12 deficient then ask your doctor for a B12 serum test. And when the results come in ask your doctor what the number was (In North America, B12 levels between 200 pg/mL and 350 pg/mL are considered “normal”. Yet in Japan and Europe, the lower limit for B12 is between 500-550 pg/mL). If your number is lower then 550, discuss with your doctor supplement options.

Vitamin B12 Deficiency Symptoms:

Fatigue
    Headache
    Shortness of breath
    Palpitation
    Chest pain
    Weight loss
    Pale skin
    Dizziness
    Urinary incontinence
    Paraplegia
    Fecal incontinence