Atkins Diet

Options
A few years ago I was on it and lost quite a bit of weight. I'm tempted to go back. Good idea or bad?

Replies

• cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Good idea or bad?

I don't get it, you've done it before! Shouldn't you know exactly what it's all about?

And how it works for you, personally?

Maybe I'm confused about what you're asking!
  • Zomxilla
    Options
    As a biased opinion I'd say go simple low carb - less than 100g of carbohydrates a day. Keep your fat intake up as well as your protein. You'll naturally eat the amount of calories you're supposed to.

To keep it simple: no sugar, no refined carbohydrates, lots of green leafy vegetables, fruit in moderation, heaps of fat and protein.

Go for it!!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Better idea, I think:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Why did you stop doing Atkins though? If you don't enjoy or feel good on a low carb diet I don't really see the point of starting a diet you can't stick with.
  • Yukon_Jack
    Yukon_Jack Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes, I lost weight but I think my cholesterol went up. That diet has ALOT of meat and and unless you only eat fish I think it might be bad for your heart.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Yes, I lost weight but I think my cholesterol went up. That diet has ALOT of meat and and unless you only eat fish I think it might be bad for your heart.

It's a very healthy way to eat and the new studies show that -- check out the link above.
  • Yukon_Jack
    Yukon_Jack Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks....I'll check it out!
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options

It will probably go up a little due to the increased intake of saturated fats, but as long as they aren't from hydrogenated oils or trans fats, you'll be fine. Apparently it's easier (and cheaper) to do a standard lipid test instead of a detailed LDL analysis (which will show exactly which pattern of LDL you have in your test results), so even though your numbers appear high, you're not really seeing the complete picture.

Ok, to be honest, I'm just learning all of this cholesterol stuff, so if I've misunderstood, I expect my fellow ketards to correct me :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    Ketards. :laugh:
  • hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options

It's not; common misconception.
  • vytamindi
    Options

Be proud! Wave those ketostix in the air!

"Yo, throw that pee stick away."
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

Be proud! Wave those ketostix in the air!

"Yo, throw that pee stick away."
    lol I'm sorry but I won't even get a scale to weigh my food...so pee sticks are definitely out. :bigsmile: For a few minutes today I thought this would be neat though:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/a-new-toy-measuring-blood-ketones
  • vytamindi
    Options
    lol I'm sorry but I won't even get a scale to weigh my food...so pee sticks are definitely out. :bigsmile: For a few minutes today I thought this would be neat though:

That's a cool gadget I'll never be able to afford!

WAITAMMINUT! You don't have a food scale?!??! I would DIE without mine!
  • hulkklogan
    hulkklogan Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    No food scale here, either.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

The bad part is that a kitchen scale would actually come in handy on occasion but I have a aversion to all the diet paraphernalia out there -- I don't want my home or life cluttered with all that stuff. Weird, I know. *shrugs*
  • vytamindi
    Options

The bad part is that a kitchen scale would actually come in handy on occasion but I have a aversion to all the diet paraphernalia out there -- I don't want my home or life cluttered with all that stuff. Weird, I know. *shrugs*

I bought one before I started losing weight because I wanted to try out some bread recipes since you're supposed to weigh flour to get an accurate measurement. I had no idea what a gram was (well, not since elementary school, at least) and I don't trust my math skills. I use it every day! It also helps me be consistent when I remake my recipes.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Atkins... the diet that looks as a quarter pounder with cheese and says "Ah ha! The bread, lettuce and tomato is what made me fat"

All joking aside, the diet plan depends on what your personal goals are.

It is NOT recommended for ANY athlete, and is also ill advised for any regular joe with weekly physical activities. It is best done by couch potatoes that still want to lose some weight (nothing wrong with manning the most important seat in the house!).

The main benefits from Atkins is initially from the low carb (first week or so excessive water loss, not fat loss).

From there, the reduced carb FORCES increased protein (which is a corner stone for ANY weight loss diet). It is not the reduced carb that aids in weight loss, but the increased protein.

There hasn't been much in the way of research showing heart issues, but your kidneys will have to work overtime all the time. This can have an adverse effect on long term kidney health.

So, if you HATE fruits and vegetables, do not like exercise, this diet can work very well for you.
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    As a biased opinion I'd say go simple low carb - less than 100g of carbohydrates a day. Keep your fat intake up as well as your protein. You'll naturally eat the amount of calories you're supposed to.

To keep it simple: no sugar, no refined carbohydrates, lots of green leafy vegetables, fruit in moderation, heaps of fat and protein.

Go for it!!

^^ this :)
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    This entire post is complete BS...in my opinion of course. :smile:
    Atkins... the diet that looks as a quarter pounder with cheese and says "Ah ha! The bread, lettuce and tomato is what made me fat"

All joking aside, the diet plan depends on what your personal goals are.

It is NOT recommended for ANY athlete, and is also ill advised for any regular joe with weekly physical activities. It is best done by couch potatoes that still want to lose some weight (nothing wrong with manning the most important seat in the house!).

The main benefits from Atkins is initially from the low carb (first week or so excessive water loss, not fat loss).

From there, the reduced carb FORCES increased protein (which is a corner stone for ANY weight loss diet). It is not the reduced carb that aids in weight loss, but the increased protein.

There hasn't been much in the way of research showing heart issues, but your kidneys will have to work overtime all the time. This can have an adverse effect on long term kidney health.

So, if you HATE fruits and vegetables, do not like exercise, this diet can work very well for you.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

Atkins will also be very high in fat and protein...also in vegetables.

I get crap for saying how I feel about low carb diets so I'll keep it to myself. Your body, your choice...just beware of potential side effects.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    This entire post is complete BS...in my opinion of course. :smile:

In your opinion. I prefer science over opinion. Diets are useful depending on life styles. And of course, my first line was a joke :P