Running for Ultra-Beginners

Options
I'm looking for some advice from my fellow MFPers out there who have gone from sedentary, occasional walkers to full blown runners. I've never enjoyed running...I'm the kind of person who runs for ten seconds and feels like they're going to die. I really, really want to change that. I've been researching the walk/run method (basically interval training) and I feel like that's something that could work, but I thought I would get some firsthand opinions here.

What was the most effective way of training yourself to be able to run? What were your struggles? What did you think would be hard but turned out to be easy after all?

Thanks for any/all input!

Replies

• jgthomas78
    Options
    The most obvious is the couch to 5K program. It's amazing. I started off at 215 lbs and never running more than a mile in my life and hating it, to now running 5 miles (goal of a 10K in October). Anyways, before I knew about the C25K, I started off by running the cul-de-sacs in my neighbor hood. I would jog the cul-de-sac, then slow walk to the next one and jog that one. Did that for about a month before beginning C25K. Running is now my favorite exercise. Since I'm trying to add distance, I am now running for 5 min and walking for 1 min. Hasn't affected my min/mile much because I run faster knowing I'm going to get a break :) Good luck!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    C25K

I won't lie to you. It isn't easy, and nothing about it was easier than I expected. What I did not expect was to ever be able to run a full 20 minute run. The first day I did one I was so ecstatic. I did a 28 minute run today and I thought I was going to die, I thought about quitting the entire time. But I did it, and I will do it again. I will endure.
  • coyapaz
    coyapaz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k! And good shoes! xoxo
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    And good pants. Man, doing week one of C25k in loose pants SUCKED.
  • reesa418
    reesa418 Posts: 22
    Options
    great question that i need answered too!! today i walked 3.6 miles( @ about 3mph) around the bike trail near our house. i have always been fine walking, but i was a smoker unitl february of this year and have NEVER been able to run. i tried a little jogging today during my walk, but was only able to jog lightly for maybe 30 seconds before i thought my lungs would give out!! :) i think i did about 3-4 attempts at it...hoping to get better as i continue to lose weight and build stamina....
  • rainbowmkr1979
    rainbowmkr1979 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yup, Couch to 5K (C25K)! I totally agree with the good shoes as I learned the hard way that bad shoes equals bad knee pain. Tip: Don't punish yourself for not being able to do it right off the bat. It is ok to redo a week if needed. Build your endurance and stay positive. Find a running buddy if you can or use the myfitnesspal (maybe join a group) to have support.

Good luck!
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I recommend a running program.

I went from walking 30 minutes and being proud of it to running 3 minutes nonstop 6 times in 30 minutes in about 4-5 weeks on Zero to 10K. I'm on the 4th week and will finish in 9 or so with 60 minutes of nonstop running. Just find an app and rock it or go online and get a program downloaded. Just make sure you give yourself time and maybe a running partner. Run in comfortable clothes and stay hydrated. Don't kick yourself if you can't complete a week, just do it another week... Nobody is in a rush.
  • jlaustin1
    Options
    Learning to keep control of your breathing is definitely a big factor!

Couch to 5k is wonderful!
  • reesa418
    reesa418 Posts: 22
    Options
    what's the c25k?
    nevermind, saw the answers after i finished posting :)
  • yrhee
    yrhee Posts: 21
    Options
    You say you're pretty sedentary, right?

Don't think about just running off the bat. Get up and go for a 15 minute walk. Slowly build up the length of your walks every day, maybe try jogging for small spurts of time during those walks, but don't stress about trying to run for an extended period of time. You'll build up to running for longer periods slowly, but surely.

I was the same way and absolutely hated running, but didn't mind going for walks, so I slowly built myself up. Now I am at the point where I can run 3mi no problem. Eventually you get to a point where just walking is kind of boring! And this is coming from someone who would only run 0.3 mi and call it quits!

Also, find cool, scenic trails/neighborhoods/etc to run because it gets to be really fun to explore new areas and it makes you want to keep going!

I've never heard of/done the couch to 5k, but since a lot of people are recommending that, give that a shot as well?
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 3 of C25K and love it. I hated jogging, running, walking up steps, all of it. Would only walk, but fast and for long periods of time. As I started getting more & more into the exercise, the walking was boring me on the treadmill so I started jogging for 60 seconds then walk for 4 minutes. Did this about 6 times in the hour and just walked the rest. After a while that became boring & I wanted to see how far I could go at one time. Found out I could last 13 minutes at 5.5 miles an hour. But I still didn't feel strong enough to go any further. Then all of a sudden, I was going through a seriously stressful time just a few weeks ago and I decided out of nowhere to do the C25K. I mean "do it", not "try it". From day one, I was like Forest Gump. No joke. I'm so addicted to this. I feel like something is so off if I don't do it. It's as important as taking a shower & brushing my teeth. Go for it. You'll love it. Beleive me, I was exactly where you were. I'll even add this b/c I'm feeling extra chatty tonight.... when I was taking my health class a few years ago, I told the professor there was no way he was getting me to jog and that he couldn't fail me b'c I was too heavy & it would be a danger for him to force me to push myself to such limits. Yes, I'm a spitfire. Well, I didn't jog but I only hurt myself in the process! That was the perfect opportunity for me to begin my journey to good health but I refused. Guess I just wasn't ready at the time.
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This is my goal as well. Can't want to see other feedback. I hate treadmills and I'm working most of my daylight hours. I don't feel out of breath when I run, my legs just feel heavy very quickly. What can I do to avoid that?
  • emily406
    emily406 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else, I really recommend C25K. 100%.

Just running one minute at a time the first week felt like death, but now I'm able to run for over 20 minutes; something I literally thought was impossible for me. And the feeling you have after is so worth it! The main thing for me was to try not to psych myself out with some of the runs. I remember how nervous I was when I saw the 20 minute run in Week 5. I was overthinking to the point where I just wanted to quit, and I hadn't even attempted it yet! So, try not to listen to your head, and just run! :) It's incredible how your body and gain endurance with this program!

Good luck!
  • Kristonia
    Options
    I too have always hated running. I can sprint and love sports but just running? I can rollerblade for extended time but that may be because I am focusing on staying upright instead of how hard I am breathing. I am going to try the C25k with a soccer ball at my feel to distract me from my difficulty breathing and also maybe singing to headphoned in music (they sing/chant in the military for breath control).
  • ChrystalDutton
    ChrystalDutton Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    what is c25k?? i would love to try it, but need to know how to start! thanks
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    C25k or another program for beginner runners is a great idea because it gives you structure and slowly increases your amount of running v walking.
    It has been life changing for me, I went from over 90kg (200 pounds) and on the couch in January 2011 to a 20kg lighter version of myself who is running a half marathon next Sunday!

My best advice;
    - get good shoes and bra
    - run SLOWLY, very slowly. This lets you build up endurance, speed can come later.
    - rest days are important, running 3 days a week is plenty to start with.
    - go at your own pace. If you need to repeat a week of your program, do it.
    - enjoy!

But be warned, running is addictive!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    When I was young, I would add 1/4 mile to my distance each week. After an almost 20-year hiatus, I used the C25K program. It worked. When I finished that, I immediately started the Bridge to 10K program. That one worked, too! As others suggested, the proper shoes are very important. Have your gait analyzed and give your feet a good start. I bought my first pair of shoes at a store specializing in running shoes. After you know what you need, you can shop for better prices.
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Everything everyone else has said about C25K.

Plus since you are an ultra beginner (like i was recently) you could benefit from working on your running style. Particuarly if you find you are getting any injuries along the way (or even if you are not because a better style can save injuries).
    I was getting horrible shin splints, partly due to style, partly due to bad shoes and partly because i pushed too hard without enough rest at the beginning.

I've since read the book Chi Running and looked up some free videos on youtube that show you what to do and it has helped me enormously. Another similar running style is Pose Technique. Just check out the youtube videos that is all you need to get the idea.
    It actually help you be more efficient with running too so it takes less energy and you'll find you can run further and easier and it hurts less!

I kind of figure being a beginner is an advantage for learning the correct style as there isn't really bad habits to break.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    what is c25k?? i would love to try it, but need to know how to start! thanks

http://www.c25k.com/

Good luck!
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for some advice from my fellow MFPers out there who have gone from sedentary, occasional walkers to full blown runners. I've never enjoyed running...I'm the kind of person who runs for ten seconds and feels like they're going to die. I really, really want to change that. I've been researching the walk/run method (basically interval training) and I feel like that's something that could work, but I thought I would get some firsthand opinions here.

What was the most effective way of training yourself to be able to run? What were your struggles? What did you think would be hard but turned out to be easy after all?

Thanks for any/all input!

Thanks OP for asking this question! I too am interested in finding out what others answers are.

Thanks all of you for sharing ALL of this advice!

Bump this to save for later!

Elephantbutt.gif