Circuit VS dead weight

Options
I have pretty bad arthritis and dead lifts are difficult for me, is circuit good enough? I try keep low weights (30lbs) high reps(12 reps 3-5 sets)

Replies

• scorpiotwinkles
    scorpiotwinkles Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, I just speak from my experience - I need a knee replacement and have arthritis in it too - I deadlift 70lb x 6-8reps a couple of times a week and do circuits of weights with hardly any cardio the rest of the week (6 days). It's hard but effective. I think my weightloss speaks for itself.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    What are your goals?

If you want to stimulate a response, as in get stronger or better, you must perform the exercise intense enough with enough weight to stimulate the necessary response to grow.

Dead lifts are not necessary to be trim and fit.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My goals are to trim down AND LOOSE FAT!:flowerforyou:
  • andiehumphreys87
    andiehumphreys87 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to lift the heavy weights to get the results you need, just if you are doing lighter weights (that still challenge you) do more repititions of them. So do a few more sets than you would with the heavy weights. :)
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My goals are to trim down AND LOOSE FAT!:flowerforyou:

Ohh good! I have great news. You can lose fat without lifting. Lifting is great and helps, but it's not necessary. So do what ever exercise you can physically do. Do it as INTENSE as possible, and continue with a good diet.

If you struggle with fat loss, I would suggest you insure you get adequate protein, fat, and minimal carbs.

You can also look into intermittent fasting.

I do both of those and I'm having great success. Do what ever works best for you!
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Thanks guys, I am going to focus on cardio and circuit for nwo, Diet is on 1400 and i eat back if i gym. :) Thank you for advice! I unfortunatley need the machine for support when moving weights. :smile:

Want to work on a routine as I gym 5 days a week, was thinking one day upper one day lower and a whatever day / cardio then again one upper and one lower??? Thoughts?? :smile:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Sorry I mucked up my post and quoted rather than editing. :facepalm: remind me not to type before I've finished a cup of coffee.

I'm guessing that by "dead lifts" you mean free weights, and by "circuit" you mean machines. Neither of these are strictly correct terms, FYI. A Deadlift is a specific type of lift, and circuit describes a type of training where you move quickly from one motion to the next with very little or no rest in between.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    If your goal is to look good, you will get better results from eating at a very slight deficit and lifting than you will from cardio. A cardio-dominant fitness regimen will still result in a lot of muscle loss, which is going to result in you not looking as good as you could. Weight lifting rep ranges are generally considered to be split into groupings based on desired result. If you want to look better, and you are a beginner, then you are likely going to want to go for strength-based rep ranges. Find a weight that is difficult to do 6 times with excellent form and start there.

If lifting weights is hard for you, it is because you are weak. The best way to fix that is to lift weights. Sorry to put it out like that but it's simply true. There's no reason you can't start out with insanely low weight, but you should still do the useful lifts. Just do them at a level you can manage. Free weights are actually far easier on your joints than machines if done correctly.
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    If your goal is to look good, you will get better results from eating at a very slight deficit and lifting than you will from cardio. A cardio-dominant fitness regimen will still result in a lot of muscle loss, which is going to result in you not looking as good as you could. Weight lifting rep ranges are generally considered to be split into groupings based on desired result. If you want to look better, and you are a beginner, then you are likely going to want to go for strength-based rep ranges. Find a weight that is difficult to do 6 times with excellent form and start there.

If lifting weights is hard for you, it is because you are weak. The best way to fix that is to lift weights. Sorry to put it out like that but it's simply true. There's no reason you can't start out with insanely low weight, but you should still do the useful lifts. Just do them at a level you can manage. Free weights are actually far easier on your joints than machines if done correctly.

Thanks, I can lift the actual weight but due to my Psortiatic arthiritis it pains a hell of allot.
  • ClairBears84
    Options
    Sorry I mucked up my post and quoted rather than editing. :facepalm: remind me not to type before I've finished a cup of coffee.

I'm guessing that by "dead lifts" you mean free weights, and by "circuit" you mean machines. Neither of these are strictly correct terms, FYI. A Deadlift is a specific type of lift, and circuit describes a type of training where you move quickly from one motion to the next with very little or no rest in between.

:blushing: Yes you are asuming correct, ten point for some for giving me wrong info. Free weights i cant do cause they hurt and i set weight on circuit!
  • ClairBears84
    Options

I need to find someone to show me this part!!! maybe I am just doing all wrong! FFS:blushing:
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Try looking online for videos on form by Mark Rippetoe. Just YouTube "Rippetoe Squat" and watch as many videos as you can find. The barbell squat is one of the best (if not THE best) exercises there is. Start with ridiculously low weight, or even body weight to begin with.

If you have a little extra dough, buy the book Starting Strength and read it 4 or 5 times. ;)