Why can't I eat 1200 calories of junk food??

Options
I don't actually want to eat 1200 calories of junk food but I'm just curious as to how it would affect weight loss if I continued to maintain 1200 calories eating bad food?

I read somewhere that if someone ate only 1200 calories of pure sugar a day then they wouldn't lose weight. I don't understand this. Aside from all the obvious essential vitamins, minerals, protein, carbs etc that you would be missing, I can't get my head around why it would affect your weight loss when you're still getting the recommended amount of calories to lose weight??

Any ideas?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    You'd lose weight. You might actually lose more pounds eating 1200 calories of junk food, since you would lose a larger amount of muscle mass without good nutrition.

Google the Twinkie Diet.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    You should find better things to read
  • lintlin
    lintlin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sugar is pure carbs. Carbs are the only thing that you don't *need* to eat, you body will produce glucose for itself out of protein and to a lesser extent fat. So if you are eating pure sugar, your body will have to cannibalize itself to get it's protein requirements. When you eat sugar (carbs) your body produces lots of insulin, whose job it is to get the sugar into the blood so it can be used for energy. One of insulins other jobs is to STORE excess energy as fat. So eating 1200 calories of pure sugar a day will spike your insulin and cause what can't be used immediately to be stored as fat, limiting weight loss.

I don't believe that you wouldn't lose weight, though. It all boils down to calories in vs. calories out, even if all calories are not created equal. Even if it were just muscle loss, you would still notice weight loss on the scale.
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Yea you probably would lose more but 1200 kcals of junk food isnt much Large McDonalds with milk shake and a dessert.
  • ricky_j_b
    ricky_j_b Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    you would be hungry for most of the day,,,,,
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    You would feel like crap, but still lose weight, at least until you started getting sick.
  • Natster_uk
    Natster_uk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You should find better things to read

Useful. Thanks.
  • Rewinds
    Rewinds Posts: 60
    Options
    You just wouldn't be able to function normally only eating junk food because junk food is so high in calories by midday you'll hit your intake.

The unsatisfaction of having small meals will also drive you crazy.
  • Natster_uk
    Natster_uk Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sugar is pure carbs. Carbs are the only thing that you don't *need* to eat, you body will produce glucose for itself out of protein and to a lesser extent fat. So if you are eating pure sugar, your body will have to cannibalize itself to get it's protein requirements. When you eat sugar (carbs) your body produces lots of insulin, whose job it is to get the sugar into the blood so it can be used for energy. One of insulins other jobs is to STORE excess energy as fat. So eating 1200 calories of pure sugar a day will spike your insulin and cause what can't be used immediately to be stored as fat, limiting weight loss.

I don't believe that you wouldn't lose weight, though. It all boils down to calories in vs. calories out, even if all calories are not created equal. Even if it were just muscle loss, you would still notice weight loss on the scale.

Thanks, that explains things for me. I would never just eat pure sugar but curious as to how it would affect weight loss :)
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options

Sugar (even 1200 calories worth) doesn't "spike insulin" as much as you seem to think it does. Only people with certain medical conditions (ie. Diabetes) have to worry about insulin spikes.

For the OPs question, 1200 calories of crap is still 1200 calories so you'd lose weight. 1200 calories is much too little though. Eat more.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want to eat, no one is stopping you.
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options

Brain also needs a constant supply of sugar/carbs for it to function properly. Jus saying...

Personally as well, I have noticed whenever I dont take carbs in the meals (explicitly), I get headaches. :(
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You certainly don't have to switch to 100% clean eating to lose weight, you just get more bang for your caloric buck with healthier foods. A 200-calorie big bowl of fresh veggies and lean protein will keep you full for hours, compared to a 200-calorie glazed donut that will make you hungry again in 10 minutes.

I still eat junk food every now and then, which I budget for in my daily calorie allowance, but it just limits how much I can eat the rest of the day so most days I just decide to eat healthier foods so that I can have more food in total.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It would depend on how many calories your burning throughout the day. You'd be very hungry and very malnourished as pure sugar contains 0 vitamins and minerals, 0 protein, and 0 fat. Also it would spike your insulin levels and your body would store alot of the excess carbs as fat especially if you were still living a sedentary lifestyle.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

Brain also needs a constant supply of sugar/carbs for it to function properly. Jus saying...

Personally as well, I have noticed whenever I dont take carbs in the meals (explicitly), I get headaches. :(

Brain needs very little carbs. One would get plenty by just eating servings of fruits and vegetables.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Google the chicken nugget diet.

The teenager almost died and was hospitalized. Doctors tell her to add nutrients in her diet. She still refused.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    A person can lose weight using their 1200 calories to eat junk food.
    In the beginning that's pretty much what I did. I just ate less of the same old crap.
    Over time though I've switched to more low calorie and more nutrient rich foods. It was a slow transition for me.
    Now, when I eat one of my old favorite junk meals they just aren't the same. I wonder what made me like them in the past. Don't get me wrong, I still have the occasional slice of pizza and enjoy it; I just don't have it often and I no longer eat the whole pie.
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Think about your body as a beautiful luxury vehicle. The higher grade of gas you put in, the better it functions. Sure, you can get away with putting regular in it for a while, but sooner or later it will start to fume, overheat, and eventually break down. Same with your body. You'll lose weight on 1200 cals of crap...but the long term effects are not worth it. You truly are what you eat...don't turn into a trashmobile.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    You would feel like crap, but still lose weight, at least until you started getting sick.
    This
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Malnutrition as you would not be getting the required micro nutrients (vitamins and minerals).