Bathroom trouble (feeling) when jogging/walking

Options
I am trying to learn to jog/run. The main problem is that my chest feels like it is going to explode about a block into the jog but another problem is that I feel like I have to use the bathroom. Does anyone else expierience this problem. I never actually use the bathroom (#2) when I get home but I hate the feeling. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I really hope that I can become a runner. I have always wanted to but it seems so far away right now because I can only do a short distance. Thanks!

Replies

• gettingfit426
    Options
    I hope you get some good replies, because I get the same feeling sometimes and it sucks!
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it and try to push yourself further a little each time. Running is 90% mental--our bodies were designed to do this, it's our own negative thoughts that usually stand in our way. That said, it's totally normal to have that feeling. When you're moving around, things start moving. Unfortunately, if you don't actually have to go, I have no idea what advice to give! Good luck.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Personally, that #2 feeling will subside after you put down a mile or two. I usually have the same thing happen to me, but on days that I run long distances, that feeling comes back about 300% when I finish running lol. I guess it's dependent on what you eat before you run too.
  • natwen
    natwen Posts: 81
    Options
    The feeling in your chest will change. I used to feel it early on too (like whenever my heart rate got above 165, going pretty slow). Now my heart rate doesn't get about 165 unless I am really pushing hard. The bathroom thing, I can understand, because running "loosens things up" for some people, which most consider to be a good thing. I would suggest trying to use the bathroom before you go running.
  • healthybody74
    Options
    My problem too (which I think most women get, but more so for number one lol) is also because I've had four kids. Running is not an option for me so I focus on other things I can do for cardio. I prefer riding a bike, it gives me the cardio and great strength in my legs and butt. Plus, I find it more interesting than running and it's something I can do with my kids.
  • heartsoulshannon
    heartsoulshannon Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That happens to me at times, too. Once I get into the run, the feeling goes away. I'm not sure how far you're running, but it usually disappears for me after mile one.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    If you are new to running try speed walking/jogging before u do jogging/running. u can start off by timing yourself. For instance speed walk 2 mins jog 1 min... after u get used to that, change the numbers: 1 min walking 2mins jogging...theeeeeeen 2min jogging one min running...
    whatever works for u. Your chest probably hurts because u are new to running and trying to do too much too fast. I used to feel that way when i frst started running 4 years ago, same thing with the feeling of needing to go to the bathroom. every now and then i get that feeling (like today) but thats because i really do hve to poop. lol. hope this helped. if u need any tips or hve any questions feel free to email me.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    YES! This typically happens to me when I did not drink enough water the day before or have eaten something that will "harden" up in there.

The chest thing will subside, it just takes time. Reasons such as this are the reason lots of people 1. hate running or 2. give up on running. Just stick with it and they not only will go away, you will get up looking SOOOO forward to that run.

Hang in there and congrats. Running rocks.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    As for your chest, I think you might be starting out running too fast. Slow it down, especially at the start.

As for the bathroom thing, try running somewhere that you know a bathroom is nearby. That way you know that if you really have to go, you only have to get to that bathroom and it's not that far away. So much of running is mental and just knowing where the bathrooms are, where the water fountains are, etc. is a big help. Plan your run so a McDonald's, port a potty, etc., is at the halfway point.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    That's called runner's trots. I've read a few things that cite dehydration as the cause. Plus the movement of running/jogging is jarring your organs around which may make you feel like you have to go. Prehydration is the easiest way to deal with this. \

You should always aim to be properly hydrated but be especially conscious of it the day before you go out for a run. Drink at least half your body weight in ounces - so if you weigh 150 pounds, drink at least 75 ounces or 9 cups of water. If you live in a hot climate and/or are active that day, drink at least 4 more cups. Let your pee color be the guide - if it's darker yellow, you need to drink more - if it's just barely tinted with yellow, you're spot on - if it's clear, you're overhydrated and should lay off the water for a bit. The however to that is some vitamins and meds may tint your urine so be conscious of what your normal color is and gauge from there.

I also try to eat a peanut butter and banana sandwich before going out for a run. Bananas are naturally constipating and the peanut butter and bread give a good energy boost.

As far as the chest pain goes, it sounds like you may need to slow down a bit. A common new runner mistake is to try to run full out instead of taking it easy. You can pace yourself by timing your breathing with your foot falls - every 2 or 3 footfalls to inhale, every 2 or 3 footfalls to exhale.

Good luck!
  • asticoral
    Options
    Have you been in to see a doctor?
    An exploding chest feeling isn't the greatest thing to ignore.
    Spontaneous urination happens because the muscles are lax due to un-use and age... sudden jolts like sneezing, coughing, jogging, jumping jacks (as in my case) cause leakage. The bowels can and will shift with higher activity, what is your fiber intake like?
    If its possible, I'd suggest swimming and biking to get yourself into better mobility then restart the walking going slowly and built up speed as you progress
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've had four children and that has created some bathroom issues for me when I run, not that I like to advertise this but I've come to find out it is more common than I thought, I wear poise pads when I run more than 3 miles. It wouldn't matter how much I used the bathroom I'm still likely to have a little issue.

The number two problem, in the beginning when I first started it was an issue and I didn't like the feeling, but eventually my body developed a new rythym and things are okay for the most part. I think just do your best to go before you run if you can, if not make your first mile or 1/2 mile depending on what your level is near your home or in a gym, use the bathroom adn continue on... It is more normal than you probably think.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Runner's trots... man, am I am expert on that.... the jarring from running increases the mobility of the intestines.

The best advice I can give you is to be well hydrated, and try not to eat foods that "make you go" before a run....

Read this.... may help: http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/How-to-Avoid-Runners-Trots.htm
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    the chest - if its only on the left it could be your heart especially if it radiates down your arm but not neccesarily so for women-get it checked out

Or chest with lower end pressure could be build up of gas....let it out....with movement comes activity in your intestines....keeps them lubricated....this is a good thing....try to keep it private if you can for embarrassment issue lol but ya women pass gas too :)
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My problem too (which I think most women get, but more so for number one lol) is also because I've had four kids. Running is not an option for me so I focus on other things I can do for cardio. I prefer riding a bike, it gives me the cardio and great strength in my legs and butt. Plus, I find it more interesting than running and it's something I can do with my kids.

do kegals it can reverse these issues :) make it a part of your everyday workout....you can do them in the car, at work or while washing dishes and watching tv :)
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options

do kegals it can reverse these issues :) make it a part of your everyday workout....you can do them in the car, at work or while washing dishes and watching tv :)

Kegals work sometimes, but not all the time. Unfortunately (from experience), if the pelvic floor is too badly damaged there may be no remedy for it except time. (or surgery if you really want to go that route.... I do not). You can always wear a pad to help prevent you from looking like you wet yourself.....
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Runner's trots... man, am I am expert on that.... the jarring from running increases the mobility of the intestines.

The best advice I can give you is to be well hydrated, and try not to eat foods that "make you go" before a run....

Read this.... may help: http://www.active.com/nutrition/Articles/How-to-Avoid-Runners-Trots.htm

Definitely look at the foods you have - approximately 20 hours before you run. I find that if I don't have dairy or cruciferous vegetables, it makes my run more comfortable.

Also, be assured it does get better as you progress. It used to happen to me when I hit about 2 miles then 5 miles, and now it only really strikes at about mile 8 or 9.

Do also learn to differentiate between 'ooh, I'm a bit uncomfortable' and 'wow, I really need to go right, right now'... Because if you ignore the latter, the consequences can be pretty nasty! :-)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Build up to running using a programme of walking and running like Couch To 5K (C25K):
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

If you wheeze along with the chest discomfort, it's worth getting checked out for exercise induced asthma. I have EIA and still occasionally need a reliever inhaler, but getting fitter almost entirely removed the need for it.

Finally let me point you in the direction of by beginner's running tips:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Take note of point one:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

Good luck, and please come back and let us know how you get on :flowerforyou:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Oh, and for the bathroom thing you're lucky it's only a feeling. After half an hour I always need to actually go, and urgently! I've worked out routes that loop back to home after the first half hour, or bypass public toilets in the local park :blushing:
  • reederx5
    reederx5 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your comments! I plan to stick this out! I want to be a runner/jogger. I can do this! :wink: