too much protein?

Options
i just started this up again and last time i lost 10 pounds which has been my motivation to come back on here, BUT i seem to be eating too much protein each day...is this a bad thing? and how in the world do i bring down that number???

Replies

• Ivana331
    Ivana331 Posts: 230
    Options
    wel overall I think protein is good, but I have read that too much can hurt your kidneys or liver because they have to work harder to process the extra protein. As long as you exercise enough, your muscles will use the protein up, I am sure.
    I am still new to this whole thing, so I may be wrong.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    First, MFP has pretty conservative protein "goals".

Second, many folks, including nutrition folks, would say you'd need more protein than normal when dieting.

I aim for about 100 grams a day (which is more than MFP default sets for me). My breakfast alone is probably about what MFP default says. Today it was 38 grams.

If you don't have a medical reason to limit your protein I wouldn't worry too much about getting too much protein from regular foods.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Per WebMD article I read on this, you can eat up to 35% protein in your diet unless you have kidney disease. Here is article to read more (I try to include articles now when I have them since some of the nastier list trolls on here can be quite rude if you dare to just post what you remember on a topic - darn if I know why they want to run off people trying to be helpful... but having been attacked once for not having a medical citation immediately to hand -- even though the critics themselves didn't have any either - how hypocritical -- oh, but sorry, I am getting off track... just still almost paranoid about trying to be helpful on here because of the few and the nasty... but that's not fair to all the other nice people on here who I might be able to help, so, I'm brushing some amour all on my skin and venturing back out... and now for that link. LOL)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/high-protein-diet-weight-loss
  • bella24xo
    bella24xo Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    and thank u very much :)!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Per WebMD article I read on this, you can eat up to 35% protein in your diet unless you have kidney disease. Here is article to read more (I try to include articles now when I have them since some of the nastier list trolls on here can be quite rude if you dare to just post what you remember on a topic - darn if I know why they want to run off people trying to be helpful... but having been attacked once for not having a medical citation immediately to hand -- even though the critics themselves didn't have any either - how hypocritical -- oh, but sorry, I am getting off track... just still almost paranoid about trying to be helpful on here because of the few and the nasty... but that's not fair to all the other nice people on here who I might be able to help, so, I'm brushing some amour all on my skin and venturing back out... and now for that link. LOL)

http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/high-protein-diet-weight-loss
    Good link. Toward the bottom it says this: To get the potential weight loss benefit, experts advise aiming for around 120 grams of protein a day. If you want to increase your protein intake, do it slowly over the course of a week.
  • sierrajade2012
    Options
    i ALWAYS go over my protein, by atleast double-and i've read mixed OPINIONS on whterther or not eating too much hurts you organs. some say it does some say it doesnt as long as you're not eating hundreds of grams
  • Onema2012
    Options
    1g per lb of bodyweight is all that's really necessary AFAIK. Some research has proven that anything beyond that provides no further benefit.

But I've eaten up to 450 grams of protein in a day at times and have had no issues. I also know many people who consume 400-450grams daily and have their liver enzymes and lipid levels checked regularly. Who have seen no problem with that level of consumption.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I have my protein set at 146g/day. I wouldn't worry about it unless you're crossing into multiple hundreds of grams/day.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Good link. Toward the bottom it says this: To get the potential weight loss benefit, experts advise aiming for around 120 grams of protein a day. If you want to increase your protein intake, do it slowly over the course of a week.

Yes, and a tip, you can MODIFY MFP to do what you want for break downs. I know for my health purposes, I need a much higher fiber content per day (both from personal experience and from research). I also need to keep my sodium below 2000 mg a day. You can go into MFP and customize those settings so that it tracks what you want as your levels for those items. So, if you want to do higher protein (which I do and which does seem to be working for me for weight loss btw), you can modify that setting to match your goals. :wink:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Yes, and a tip, you can MODIFY MFP to do what you want for break downs. I know for my health purposes, I need a much higher fiber content per day (both from personal experience and from research). I also need to keep my sodium below 2000 mg a day. You can go into MFP and customize those settings so that it tracks what you want as your levels for those items. So, if you want to do higher protein (which I do and which does seem to be working for me for weight loss btw), you can modify that setting to match your goals. :wink:
    Yep. I haven't used their default since about the first week. It's great that we can adjust that.