Black bean ideas?

Options
barbara4599
barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
I have a can of black beans in the cupboard. Please give me some yummy ideas!

Replies

• nbkkg
    nbkkg Posts: 3
    Options
    I like to eat a black beans and rice dish... i usually start w a lil oil and fry the onions. hope this helps. :)
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    i got the perfect one. (except the next black beans u buy get bush's grillin black bean fiesta...same calories, packed with flavor)

I heat up the beans for a little bit, not too hot, I mix in tomato, onion, a little corn, a little salsa, a little rice, and dump that over a bead of lettuce. Taco salad around 300 calories.
  • buckyteeth
    buckyteeth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mix a can of sweet corn with the beans. Rinse well. Add chopped red pepper and sweet onions (about 1/2 cup each). Add about 1/4 cup or so of chopped cilantro. Mix 1/4 cup of vinegar, 1 TBLS olive oil and 2 packets of sweetener together. Pour this over the vegetables. Serve with lime wedges that you squeeze over when you eat it. 160 calories/per very filling cup.
  • Trivpr
    Trivpr Posts: 4
    Options
    I like to make black bean hummus! You can customize it however you like, but this is the base recipe I use:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-hummus/

it comes out a little gray but tastes delish!
  • bjleader
    Options
    We've done black beans with diced tomatoes, fresh green chilies, and seasonings heat that up and put over brown rice. If you by canned it's best to buy organic as regular has lots of sodium. Same with any canned stuff, for future reference. Canned green chili's also have more sodium and fresh not much at all. Saw some with lime juice that would also go good with this.
  • ladasade
    ladasade Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Brownies!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-brownies/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=black bean brownies&e8=Quick Search&event10=1&e7=Home Page

I replace the oil with unsweetened applesauce, 2 of the eggs w/egg substitute and no choco chips. It really is tasty
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My family loves when I make this and all in the slow cooker :-)

BLACK BEANS AND KIELBASA
    (from WW boards)

7 oz Healthy Choice Smoked Sausage (I use Hillshire Farms Turkey Smoked Sausage)
    2 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (14.5 oz) can tomatoes w/ green chilies, undrained
    14 oz. can Fiesta corn, undrained ( i use Green Giant Mexicorn)
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp chili powder
    Garlic to taste

Slice the sausage into small pieces. Add all ingredients to 3 quart slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on high 3-4 hours or on low for up to 10 hours. Could be served over rice.
  • sc0ttie
    sc0ttie Posts: 29
    Options
    I love just black beans alone!

They are also great mixed in scrambled eggs and salads. I have tried several black bean brownie recipes but none of them have been tasty yet.....
  • RabidCarrot
    RabidCarrot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love black beans with some basmati rice, fresh cilantro, lime, red onion, garlic and a little avocado.
    Or Black bean brownies! Links to 3 different variations.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/2594

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-brownies/

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/recipe?id=9978369

http://www.snack-girl.com/snack/healthy-brownies-black-beans-and-mix/
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    There is a recipe on this website for a black bean soup, very easy to make, simply delicious!!!
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Cuban Black beans -- skinnytaste.com
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/quick-and-deliciouso-cuban-style-black.html#more

(omit the onions if you don't like them, and don't add the 1/2 cup of water...they will have more flavor without it)
    look up her cilantro lime rice also, they are delicious together!

Cuban Style Black Beans
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 4 • Size: 1/2 cup • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 113.9 • Fat: 2.9 g • Protein: 6.8 g • Carb: 19.9 g • Fiber: 6.0 g

2 tsp olive oil
    1/2 onion
    2 cloves garlic
    2 scallions
    2 tbsp red bell pepper
    3 tbsp cilantro
    15 oz can black bean, do not drain
    1/2 cup water (or more if needed)
    1 bay leaf
    few pinches cumin (to taste)
    pinch oregano
    1 tsp red wine vinegar
    salt and black pepper to taste

Chop onion, garlic, scallions, red pepper, and cilantro in a mini chopper of food processor.

Add oil to a medium-sized pot on medium heat. Add vegetables to the pot and saute until soft, about 3 minutes. Add beans, water, bay leaf, cumin, oregano, red wine vinegar, salt and black pepper and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cover, simmer about 15 minutes stirring occasionally (adjust water as needed). Taste for salt and serve.
  • CeliaBeansSconi
    Options
    bump :)
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I had a black bean and quinoa burger...delicious.
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    That sounds yummy....making my stomach growl!
  • ErB56
    ErB56 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Mix a can of sweet corn with the beans. Rinse well. Add chopped red pepper and sweet onions (about 1/2 cup each). Add about 1/4 cup or so of chopped cilantro. Mix 1/4 cup of vinegar, 1 TBLS olive oil and 2 packets of sweetener together. Pour this over the vegetables. Serve with lime wedges that you squeeze over when you eat it. 160 calories/per very filling cup.

I make this all the time! Add some Cumin if you want a little more southwest flavor.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Brownies!! no joke.

http://www.mommyskitchen.net/2010/04/bushs-chili-recipes-black-bean-brownies.html

2 - ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
    1 - 15 oz can bush's black beans, drained & rinsed & pureed
    3/4 cup all purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/3 - cup vegetable shortening
    2 - large eggs
    1 - 1 1/4 cups sugar (your preference)
    1/4 - cup water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 - teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 - cup semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan. If you want thicker brownies you can use a 8 x 8 x 2 inch pan. Melt the chocolate and shortening together over simmering water or in the microwave. I used a pot of water and added a glass bowl on top to make a double boiler. Cool chocolate slightly. In a mixing bowl beat the eggs well then add the sugar, vanilla and pureed black beans. I pureed my black beans with my blade attachment to my hand mixer adding the 1/4 cup water. You can puree them in a food processor or a blender as well. If using a blender you may need a bit more water. When the chocolate is cool add to the egg and bean mixture blending well. Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the flour mixture into the chocolate. Make sure everything is mixed together thoroughly. Spread the batter evenly into a prepared pan and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake for 25 - 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool and cut into squares.
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Ok, this black bean salad is super easy and makes enough for a couple of days, all you need is:

black beans (canned or fresh, about 1 can worth)
    garbanzo beans (canned or freshed, 1 can, you do not have to, but I like to take the shell off them by just rubbing them under cool water)
    1 can kernel corn
    feta cheese to taste (I usually add about half a pack, but you can add more or less)
    4 celery stocks chopped fine
    chopped red onions (about half a cup)
    1 package grape tomatoes ( make sure to de-seed them or the salad will get soggy)
    3 or 4 squirts or lime juice
    1 tablespoon of olive oil (you can admit if you want)
    cilantro to taste (I use the kind that you get from the tube at publix, just cause it mixes well)

mix all the ingredients in a bowl until you like the flavor (its not super exact) chill over night, then stir and serve! This makes about 4-6 servings.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • snowgrrl83
    snowgrrl83 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    how about a black bean burrito?
    just add some salsa and sour cream and a bit of cheese...maybe some guaccamole and voila!
  • iiiEllie
    iiiEllie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Spicy Black Bean Burgers, the boyfriend and I made these last week they're beyond tasty.

16 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
    1/2 cup chopped scallions
    3 tbsp chopped cilantro
    3 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 jumbo egg
    1 tbsp cumin
    1/4 to 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp hot sauce
    1/2 cup quick oats

- Skinnytaste.com