What pills help you sleep longer

Options
I'm completely fed up of only getting 5 to 6 hours sleep no matter what time I go to bed - usually before midnight. I get to sleep no problem but usually wake up before dawn, still very tired, but just can't get back to sleep. I know some people don't need the full 8 hours of sleep but really feel like my sleep is insufficient for me. I tried Melatonin last night but apparently that only helps you get to sleep, which I don't have a problem with anyway, in fact I had a real disturbed night sleep after trying it.

I don't even mind if I wake up during the night as long as I can get back to sleep. I've tried other stuff like Valerian, St.John's wort, Magnesium and various herbal pills...none of them work. Mild remedies like herbal teas, soothing music, getting out of bed for a few minutes won't cut it. Is there any little blue pill that I can take either at start of night to give me even close to 8 hours (without feeling crap the next day) or something I can take during the night when i wake up to put me back to sleep?

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I use Tylenol PM every once in a while - sometimes I can't get to sleep, or stay asleep, because of litle aches and pains and the Tylenol PM seems to help that. It usually gives me a good 8 hrs without feeling groggy in the morning.

Something to consider - I've struggled with depression in the past and waking up in the early morning and not being able to get back to sleep was one of my symptoms so it's something I keep an eye on.

Have you thought about getting tested for Sleep Apnea?
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I use melatonin when I am having troubles getting through the night. As with anything, I don't know that it should be taken constantly but as far as "natural", it seems to work the best....for me. I prefer to take it over cold medicine/sleeping pills to get through the night. Take it like 1/2 hour before you want to go to bed. Do something to start relaxing. It will just make you feel naturally tired. It says it is commonly used for regulating from jet lag. Just a suggestion. Good luck :)
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    if you figure it out let me know- I have the same problem.... in fact last night I couldnt fall asleep at all and gave up to have a workout and breakfast before work and visited with BF who worked night shift.....melatonin I have tried- bad stuff .....as far as the others....some teas I have tried work or tylenol pm since I usually have some pain it works but I am left feeling very lethargic for most of the next day:(
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Any little blue sleeping should work. I've done them all. Tylenol PM is awesome but you do have to watch out for your liver with prolonged use. Tylenol Simply Sleep works as does all the drug store brands. If you get into Sominex and Unisom, they don't work much better than the drug store brands. Take it no later than 10pm.
  • kototo
    kototo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue as you, fall asleep in a blink, but cant remain sleeping! My doc prescribed Zopiclone (Imovane) I havent tried it yet, and she wasnt convinced it would work to keep me asleep. If you find something that works for you, please let us know!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Ever think about changing your pillow? If so pm me I got a good one for yah.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Dream Water, Neuro Sleep & iChill are AWESOME products!!
    Dream Water & iChill look like 5 hour energy...but do the opposite!
    Neuro Sleep a larger drink, but works GREAT!
    All of these are AWESOME!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Sleep Number.... works for me.
  • lilkayaker
    lilkayaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use melatonin as well...works like a charm! Also breathing exercises, turning off the TV, and shutting down all lights helps me. Any light will keep me up or wake me up so when im done for the night everything is off. If you have to fall asleep to TV try mutting it or setting the timer for 30 min and thats it. Just laying down listening to the silence and breathing slow deep breath usually realxes my mind and body so I tend to sleep better thru-out the night.
  • lilkayaker
    lilkayaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Melatonin comes in a bunch of dosages you may have taken to much or to little.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I went to the docs and got a very low dosage of amitriptyline. I was exactly the same, get to sleep no problem, just can't stay asleep. They do seem to help but sometimes I feel more groggy than actually having less sleep. I've only taken a few and my sleeping pattern seems to be improving so I've stopped taking them. Sometimes I think it can become a habbit waking up early...good luck, I hope you find something, this, although short term seemed to work for me xx
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    ZZZ-Quil. On nights that I have trouble falling asleep, I take one (does is 2, but I only take 1) and it helps me fall into a nice sleep and I wake up feeling rested.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Bumping 4 tips...Tried almost all suggested and no go!!
    Good luck to all of us sleep deprived people;-)
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I am on an anti-anxiety med...not because i have anxiety..but because i have a racing mind...and it never slows down..it does help with my sleep
  • stevehomoki
    Options
    If I really want a restful sleep, I just pop a melatonin into a shot glass and fill it up with scotch, knocks me out every time.
  • Kristy713ckm
    Kristy713ckm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    bump

Same problem here. I take Ambien to fall asleep quickly, and it works great. But I don't stay asleep very long. Would love to continue reading the suggestions and tips!
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    i know people who take a benadryl and a tylenol pm together, and maybe some zzzquil. Until i made them compare the active ingredients. yeah....its all the same thing, Diphenhydramine. Just read labels, and DONT take Ambien or Lunesta, I took them, and now i "forgot" how to even fall asleep, that was 6 years ago. its been a battle ever since to try to sleep naturally. i rarely sleep anymore.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    ambien. just make sure you take it nd then lay right in bed cause it can make you hallucinate and do weird stuff...for fun examples go to youtube and search ambien zombies lol

i swear by it though as i have diagnosed insomnia and i get night terrors...its really the only thing that lets me sleep decently throughout the night but doesn't leave me feeling groggy or crappy the next day. only downside is i am breastfeeding and its contradicted for me right now.

just make sure you get ambien and not ambien cr.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    The Alcohol Pill

And the Sex Pill

Joking aside, cut caffiene from your diet totally. DOn;t exercise late, don;t eat late, no tv in bed.