healthy snack ideas

jgodino
jgodino Posts: 6
edited September 20 in Recipes
Hey everyone!! I was wondering if anyone on here had any ideas for healthy snacks. I'm new to this dieting thing, and I want to do it right!! Thanks!

Replies

• mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    i eat alot of apples & bananas because they fill me up. i like the 100 calorie packs too. del monte frozen fruit pops are awesome & only 55 cals.!! they are made with real fruit, you can find them in the canned fruit isle.there are other things i pick at here &n there, but the items above are always in stock in my house!! hope this helps!:wink:
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    I love almost any veggie and for dip I use hummus!
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    I love almost any veggie and for dip I use hummus! I also like WASA crackers and laughing cow cheese. Frozen cherries or blueberries (its like min popsicle)
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    I like frigo's light string cheese, blue diamond almonds ( i only eat about 6 at a time, instead of the whole 24) , apples, bananas, and fiber one bars, and special k protien bars.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    I like almonds, and hummus with home baked tortilla chips or carrots, cheese with whole grain crackers, and air popped popcorn.
  • OneMission
    OneMission Posts: 160 Member
    First of all, welcome to MFP...you're going to :heart: it here!

Secondly, some of my favorite snacks are nuts (raw almonds, walnuts, peanuts)...they are "good" fat. I also enjoy Larabars...all natural, no added "garbage". I usually cut them up in to bit sized morsels and enjoy one here and there (when I "need" it). I always keep baby carrots on hand, too. Ants on a Log is a personal favorite as well.

Lastly, best wishes on your mission...you CAN do it :drinker:

I hope that I was of some help!
    :flowerforyou: Teresa
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    I do the frigo cheese too along with apples, oranges, bananas, and Yoplait thick and creamy light yogurt.
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Celery with natural peanut butter
    Cottage cheese
    Bell pepper slices with hummus (yum)
    Celery with laughing cow cheese ( best cheese in the world)
    Apple
    Beans
    lettuce, Turkey meat and a little mayo made into a wrap
    nuts
    Califlower dipped in hummus
    sugar snap peas
    soy beans
    fat free yogurt

I can go on and on :)
  • alwaysenl
    alwaysenl Posts: 197 Member
    I find a small handful (about 12) almonds is a good snack that holds me over, I also love sugar snap peas because they are really crisp and crunchy and awesome with some hummus...and non-fat yogurt and of course lots of fruit...Wasa multi-grain crackers are really good and filling too, with some light laughing cow or hummus. Hope that helps! Good luck :)
  • * Fruit
    ** Apples
    ** Clementines/Satsumas (or other citrus)
    ** Bananas
    ** Grapes

* Vegetables
    ** Red/Yellow/Orange Bell Pepper strips, or the mini sweet peppers in the same colors, cut into strips
    ** Carrots (I buy a big bag, peel/cut myself; cheaper that way)

* Protein sources (that have some carbs, good fats, and fiber, too!)
    ** Navy/Great Northern Beans -- "Quick Marinated White Beans" [1]
    ** Raw nuts: almonds, walnuts (1 oz serving of almonds is about 21-23 whole)
    ** Hummus (2-3oz with veggies above)
    ** Fage Nonfat Greek Yogurt (high protein, little carb, no fat)

I used to buy pre-sliced "sandwich style" cheese (like sharp cheddar) from Costco as part of the snack supplies for an easy protein source. (One slice is a serving, so that's easy to calculate.) But I grew concerned about the amount of saturated fat that could add up, especially if I wanted two slices for two separate snack times at school. (I have to eat every two-three hours typically.) So now my go-to balanced protein-carb-fat snacks (that feature fiber!) are (1) the beans, (2) hummus and carrots/sweet peppers, and (3) the greek yogurt. I cook a batch of beans on the weekend, make the marinated recipe from 2-3 cans' worth and save the rest for soups/stews/whatever during the week. (Dry beans are at least half the cost of canned, for the quantity.)

I keep Larabars or other natural/organic "bars" on hand in bag/purse for when I'm out running errands or in class and "need something" until I can eventually get home. I also make my own "trail mix" from raw nuts and dried fruit. I usually have a half-cup container with me at all times.

I have an assortment of little plastic Snaplock/Snapware containers purchased from Walmart and Ross for "cold" snacks. (Anything that gets heated up goes in glass, Glass-Lock, containers.) The containers clearly mark their capacity on the bottom, so I can always know how much food each one holds.

[1] "Quick Marinated White Beans" recipe by Mollie Katzen, featured in book "Eat, Drink, and Weigh Less" by Mollie Katzen and Walter Willett, M.D. It uses dried herbs, compared to her "Just White Beans" recipe in her "The New Moosewood Cookbook" which is similar but uses fresh herbs instead. It features extra-virgin olive oil for the "good fat" and the wonderful enhancing flavor of red wine vinegar.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Archer Farms (Target brand) & Kirkland (Costco brand) both make an amazing, sodium free fruit & nut blend that I adore. The AF one is cranberries & cashews, and Kirkland is almost like a trail mix blend.
    I also enjoy fruit for snacks, red peppers (mmm, tastes like candy), and blue corn chips & low sodium salsa. Always pay attention to the sodium AND calories when purchasing. Calories will help you keep the food in your diet, and low sodium will help your body from retaining water (high sodium hangs on to it).
  • wallena
    wallena Posts: 32
    TRY TO KEEP INDIVIDUALLY PACKS OF THINGS RATHER THAN THE MORE ECONOMICAL BIG BAGS. LIKE BAKED CHIPS, ALMONDS, 100 CAL PACKS. INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED CHEESE BARS OR STICKS ARE EXCELLENT. FRUIT. CEREAL IS GOOD FOR YOUR SWEET TOOTH. BUT DON'T FORGET YOU PLAN ON STICKING TO THIS LONG TERM SO COUNT ON HAVING AN UNHEALTHY SNACK EVERY NOW AND AGAIN. INDIVIDUALLY WRAPPED CHOCOLATES AND TRUFFLES ARE PERFECT. KEEP THEM WITH YOU AND YOU'LL STAY OUT OF THE VENDING MACHINES. AND THEY'RE PERFECTLY PORTIONED. ALSO INDIVIDUAL ICE CREAM CUPS ARE A GOOD TREAT. CONGRATS ON YOUR CHOICE TO LIVE HEALTHY.
  • Thanks so much for all your ideas!!! I think a shopping trip is in order for me :)
  • This one is good for the sweet tooth! 1/2 small container of Greek yogurt, 1/2 apple or pear, 1 tbs honey, cinnamon.

Chop up the fruit into small cubes, heat in the microwave for 1- 1/2 minutes. Toss with the cinnamon, top with yogurt and honey. Add nuts if you want!

I love eating this as a mid-afternoon snack! Super quick and tasty!
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    I have a huge sweet tooth so all of my snack ideas are things to curb sugar cravings.

I buy a ton of oranges, especially in winter, and peel them all at once and put them in ziplocs.
    When i HAVE to have that chocolate craving, I always have a baker's dark chocolate dipping thing in my fridge and I dip my oranges in it. Hey...at least I'm getting the fruit, right?

Low Cal granola bars with fiber (Quakers ones are far and away my favorite, chocolate peanut butter)
  • rinren84
    rinren84 Posts: 82 Member
    This one is good for the sweet tooth! 1/2 small container of Greek yogurt, 1/2 apple or pear, 1 tbs honey, cinnamon.

Chop up the fruit into small cubes, heat in the microwave for 1- 1/2 minutes. Toss with the cinnamon, top with yogurt and honey. Add nuts if you want!

I love eating this as a mid-afternoon snack! Super quick and tasty!

That sounds absolutely delicious!!!!
This discussion has been closed.