Whats the theory behind eating back exercise?

Options
I know there are a lot of opinions on this but I am still a bit confused. I am allowed 2030 calories a day but eat on average 1300-1600 a day before I exercise, if I do that day. Some days I eat a little more some days a little less. I have yet to eat the full 2030 allowed for me in a day in nearly two months. But the question is if I burn 400 calories, what is the benefit of me eating 400 more to make up that exercise. In my mind the less I eat the more I lose, without going into "starvation" mode, where ever that point is for my body.

Replies

• TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    If what you are doing is working fine, then stick with it until it isn't anymore. If you hit a plateau, then it's time to reassess your strategy.
  • logicandlove
    logicandlove Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many calories we're talking about, here. as well. I try to eat around 1700 a day. If I burn 200-300 cals, I'm not too worried about eating them back, and I try not to. But if I hit the gym hard for a solid 2 hours and burn 800? I'm eating some of those back, because my body won't be happy with 900 net calories. I would also take into account the fact that you're still far from a healthy weight, so your body can probably handle bigger calorie deficits right now, though.
  • 4schrocks
    4schrocks Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have days where I will be 1000-2000 calories short. I never try to eat them back; I simply eat when I am hungry. Do what works for you.
  • Mtfd02
    Mtfd02 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would check your settings for the daily intake, if you have lost weight and never adjusted your settings is what it sounds like, I am allowed 1200 a day but I am trying to lose two lbs a week and I workout 5-6 days a week.... I hit the plateau and adjusted to what works for me, everybody is different
  • Manabug01
    Manabug01 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As long as you net your BMR each day, you're good. The theory is you eat what you burn off and it revs up your metabolism. Since you get used to eating more on exercise days it'll take more calories to keep you at maintenance. I will NET 1300-1500 a day, but if I burn off however many cals at the gym I eat every single one back. My body loves it and does best with this. Still lose 1-2lbs a week and every so often I have to eat 3000 cals. Hard concept to for some people to get behind, since it seems to defeat the purpose of losing a lot of weight in a week. But long term its one of the best things you can do IMO. Do what works best for you, but at least NET your BMR every day.
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    Basically, the "theory" that MFPers discuss is that when you set up MFP it is already set up with a healthy deficit that will help you lose weight but maintain a healthy weight loss and the energy needed to continue working out. You need to be sure you are bringing in sufficient calories in order to fuel your body and make it an efficient fat burner.
  • Brodieno
    Brodieno Posts: 11
    Options
    I think what you are doing is just great. There are many benefits to exercise but burning calories is a significant one. Putting the other reasons aside it really makes no sense to burn calories and eat to put them back on. Stored calories are fat and getting rid of it is the what this whole thing of dieting is about.

I might be a bit bias because I did the same thing as you are doing and currently have lost 220 lbs in 18 months with 40 to go.

I say go for it.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's not opinions or theories, you're just doing it completely wrong.

Why are you bothering to log food of you're not trying to maintain a healthy deficit?
  • nrbromert
    nrbromert Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Why are you bothering to log food of you're not trying to maintain a healthy deficit?

The question is what is a healthy deficit? Is it the 2030 that is say I should be eating or is it the 1500 that I AM eating?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Have you set your goals up to lose a certain amount of weight per week?
  • SairahRose
    SairahRose Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have days where I will be 1000-2000 calories short. I never try to eat back; I simply eat when I am hungry. Do what works for you.

This for me, too. As long as I eat over 1300cals (often getting 15-1800), then I don't care if I net 900 or the full 1800. I eat when I'm hungry, and use the calories gained from exercise as a guide to allow me to eat more if my body tells me I need it.
    Soon as I hit a plateau, I increase the cals I eat by 100 and allow my body to respond better so I lose weight.

Seriously, if it's working for you and you're not eating less than 12-1500 (I have no idea how your body works), then don't change it until your body needs it.
  • andrewlazenby
    Options

Whatever.....

As long as I eat my 2080, if I do not feel like eating back the exercise calories I don't. If I do want them, I eat them. I am neither week or sickly and am doing just fine.