ok guys.... I need the brutal thruth.....

Options
2»

Replies

• windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    hey i'm going to have to agree with one of the previous posters, you need to eat cleaner. i see in your diary that you manage your calories but are eating things like pizza and other fast food items. 5 cups of raw kale has 175 calories, and giant pot of soup chock full of nutrients or a huge salad can be really filling; 175 calories worth of pizza, not so much.

in my humble opinion, (which could be completely wrong because i am not a health professional or a nutritionist, i'm just a fatty who just started losing weight a few weeks ago) even if you eat the same amount of calories, if the calories come from veggies and lean protein only, you will shed pounds faster.

take a biotin supplement to aid in metabolism.

drink coffee with breakfast in the morning, just a little. it gets me going and controls my appetite.

and you should work out, like every day!!! go to the gym and do an hour of cardio at LEAsT 5 times a week. then eat your main meal after the gym because your metabolism is up and you will burn the calories faster.

if you get late night hunger cravings you cant control, use a non caffeinated appetite suppressant like slim shots or lichi chews and drink a big glass of water.

drink lots of water. i noticed that sometimes i eat when i am thirsty because my body gets confused from habit. i crave fruit and candy when i am thirsty. stuff yourself with water! get some emergen-c packets for flavor. no crystal light! i used to like that stuff but it really dehydrates you and has too many chemicals. not good for you.

these are my tips to the best of my knowledge, but i understand someone else might disagree.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    i feel like you may not be eating enough. find out what your bmr is and your tdee... you want to go in between those number for your net. try www.fat2fitradio.com/tools to get these numbers and go from there. i eat 1600-1800 and i'm only 5'4" so i know you could eat a little more

I'm 5'11" and only eat 1400-1500/day with 30 minutes daily exercise. If you're not losing weight, eating more will not help. The starvation mode thinking is a myth. If it were true, anorexics would be obese.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    i agree. that's one thing i think is weird people keep saying to eat more. you should eat 1200 per day no more if you are trying to lose weight by your wedding. you wont starve or lose muscle. just DONT fall under 1200 it's not healthy. after your wedding you should probably eat a little more and keep losing weight slowly.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    So I have been on MFP for over 18 months now and have lost very little. I know I have "slipped" at times and have been really trying to get back on track. I have an open diary and try to workout 5 days a week. I am getting married exactly 4 months from today and my cw is 235.5. My goal this year is to be in "onederland" by the first week in December and have my wedding dress altered accordingly. My ultimate goal is to be 165-175lbs (I am 5'10) I am so tired of hating how I look and OBSESSING about it. It's not fair to me, my fiancee, or my family and friends. I really could use some honest (but not hateful) suggestions on what to do from those who understand/have been there. Let me know what has worked/not worked for you and/or what you think I am doing wrong.

Thanks MFP :flowerforyou:

Okay so you have roughly 3.5 months to lose 36 lbs in order to reach ONEderland, that would put you at 199 and at 5' 10" IF you do some strength training along with diet and exercise wont look too bad on you, infact you may even LOOK 185. ( the magic of weight lifting :happy: ). So in order to reach 199 in december you would need to lose at least 9lbs a month. The more a person weighs the faster they tend to lose (if they are honestly working for it ) you could easily lose 10 to 12 lbs a month with good effort and diet. The question is how bad do you want it? You CAN do it and then you need to keep it. Eat whole grains, lean meats, fruit and veggies, drink lots of water. Ditch the processed foods and sodas/artificial drinks. Cardio and lift 3-5x a week (AT LEAST). You can be one HOT MAMA come wedding day. Good Luck :flowerforyou:
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The majority of your diary is processed food...start by getting rid of that.
  • laurenjessica315
    laurenjessica315 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest eating cleaner - no chain restaurants or take out. Prepare food and snacks at home so you see what is going into what you are eating. Of course certain foods like 0% fat greek yogurt is prepackaged but it makes a great protein-rich snack. Same with cottage cheese. Lots of lean protein, veggies, fruit! If you have a sweet tooth, I'd suggest purchasing Yonana's which makes frozen bananas taste like delish soft serve!

Also, have you considered incorporating Insanity or P90x into your workout? Maybe those programs could help, especially Insanity because its heavily cardio. Maybe do Insanity and then 30 min at the gym - two-a-days might help!

That's a really lofty goal, but if you set your mind to it I hope you are able to achieve it!

Good luck and congrats on the wedding!!!
  • laurenjessica315
    laurenjessica315 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also, set your calorie goal around 1200...
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Buy some digital kitchen scales and WEIGH everything. No cup measurements. You can pile a cup measurement high to the point where you end up with two cups but you can't trick the scales.

Kitchen scales are more important than bathroom scales :flowerforyou:

This.

This is a far more common mistake than people realise. It's very easy to overfill volume measurements, but a gram is a gram.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Truth? You aren't consistent. Lack of consistency will result in lack of results.

This. I took a look at your diary going back several months. Your food logging is -- at best -- sporadic. You hardly logged at all during the entire month of July. On the weekends, you rarely log. This makes me question the accuracy on days you do appear to log and makes me wonder whether you are really logging everything you eat. it's impossible to know by looking at your diary whether you should be eating more.

To get to 175 in four months, you have to essentially lose 4 lbs per week. That seems like an extremely lofty goal to me. You won't get there by doing what you are doing. (And you may not anyway, but you will get closer.) I think it is totally reasonable that you could lose 20-30 pounds by the time of your wedding, which will still make a big difference in how you look and how you feel about yourself.

My advice?

1. Log everything you put in your mouth, every day.
    2. Stop eating out so much. Nearly every day there is a Chick-fil-A, Wendy's, Jack in the Box, Dominos, etc. in your diary. (On the days you log.)
    3. Eat more whole foods, fruits, vegetables, and protein.
  • themrsbriggs
    themrsbriggs Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Wow.... as tough as some comments were to take, I appreciate them. I will admit that for the past 18 months (and years prior,) I was looking for a "quick fix" and seeing others lose weight made it more difficult for me. I realize now that there really is no other way to be successful other than eating healthy and exercising. Also, my fiancee loves me for ME and tells me everyday how beautiful I am and that he loves me. I AM DOING THIS FOR ME!!! I am NOT trying to just fit into my dress, I already do and it looks amazing, I am making a lifelong committment to being healthy. I am going to adjust my caloric intake and commit to working out more. Also, I am committed to prove myself wrong that I will always be fat.
  • maryjboom
    maryjboom Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Let MFP set your calories, protein, carbs, etc.. The balance will be better. Your goal for the wedding is high. Don't be disapointed if you only make it 1/2 or 3/4. You said you already look great in the dress. It will be a start to changing the rest of your life.
  • PinkyNans2012
    Options
    I'm gonna catch a bunch of hate for this, but I don't effing care. I tried everything too, and nothing really worked for me but low carb. We're already friends, so just holler if you are interested but have questions. And, yes, my doc monitors my diet and I am healthy!

You shouldn't have to feel like you are going to "catch hate" for that! I think it is great you found a plan that works for you!! I too started low carb about a month ago and love it! It helped me break my stall.

I agree - there is nothing wrong with low carb. I have been doing the south beach diet on and off for quite a few years and find it to be very healthy (esp. phase 2 onwards) and give solid results. I am also type 1 diabetic & my doctor fully approves of south beach for me. It all depends on what works best for you - you have to find an eating plan that suites your individual tastes, but one that is going to work in the long term as well as the short term. Best of luck to you with your goal :)
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I haven't read through everyone's responses, but our stories are similar. I'm 5'9 and started at 225. I am currently 159 and looking to go down another dress size, but reached my goal weight wise. I checked out your diary and here is what I have to say:

I started my weighloss journey 10/26/2010 the day after I had my youngest. I reached 165 by June of 2011 and then maintained until just recently when I started a strength training program. I gained 90 lbs with my first child and struggled for a year to lose weight. (only lost 40lb...27 of which was expelling the baby from me) I was working out regularly and running a little each week. But, I was eating "low fat", lots of convience food, cereals, etc. While pregnant with my daughter I was sooo freaked out that I would put 90lbs on top of my starting out at 235.

Anyway, I started just eating real food and limited my grains and NO white...bread, flour, sugar. Healthy fats, avocado, nuts, olive oil, even butter. Execpt once a week, one meal, I eat whatever I want. This was during the losing portion of my weightloss. (while pregnant I actually lost 10lbs, but that was in the first trimester when I was puking my guts out) When I decided to work on maintaining, I would eat more brown rice, whole wheat pasta, etc. No low fat anything. If was going to eat ice cream, it's the real deal. No chemicals. If I want something sweet after dinner I make a protein shake with strawberries, or just eat some berries.

Being consistant is key. I have my workouts scheduled, a weekly menu, and plan ahead for what day/meal I plan to eat whatever I want.

While I do workout alot, I feel that where I was failing was my food. Really, besides wanting to look good, health is what is most important. My diary is public, feel free to friend me. You can do it!!